Jon Purkis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
youtube.com/c/actualol
badge
Actualol Board Game Videos
mbmb
I have a few questions about the fugitive winning the game.

1. Does the fugitive immediately state "I've played number "42"?

2. Does the marshal have a normal turn after the fugitive has played 42? Or has the game effectively ended (except for a possible manhunt)?

3. If the fugitive states "I've played number 42" and the highest revealed card is #29 or lower, does the man hunt immediately begin?

4. If the fugitive states "I've played number 42" and the highest revealed card is higher than #29, does the game immediately end and the fugitive has won?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jez Overton
United Kingdom
Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jon

I haven't got the rules in front of me (currently bored at work), but we played it so that the Fugitive plays the 42 card face up (just like the 00 card at the beginning of the game). However no-one has played any sprint cards to get to the 42 yet, so I'm not sure what you would do with those.

However I believe that if the Marshall can begin the manhunt then they do so, otherwise the Fugitive has won.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jez Overton
United Kingdom
Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just thinking about it, it makes sense that any sprint cards used to get to the 42 are played face down. Whether the 42 card itself is played face down with the Fugitive player stating that they are at the 42, or the card is played face up is academic as both players know what the card is.

It's possibly a teensy bit more thematic to play the card face up, so that if the manhunt suceeds, the final card turned over (where the Marshall catches him) is the one just before the plane takes off into the sky.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spider Jerusalem
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonpurkis wrote:
I have a few questions about the fugitive winning the game.

1. Does the fugitive immediately state "I've played number "42"?

2. Does the marshal have a normal turn after the fugitive has played 42? Or has the game effectively ended (except for a possible manhunt)?

3. If the fugitive states "I've played number 42" and the highest revealed card is #29 or lower, does the man hunt immediately begin?

4. If the fugitive states "I've played number 42" and the highest revealed card is higher than #29, does the game immediately end and the fugitive has won?

Thanks!

There are two sentences in the rulebook which, I believe, answer your questions:

Page 4 - "The Fugitive wins by playing card #42 (and escaping the manhunt, if necessary!)".

Page 7 - "As a last effort to catch the Fugitive, the Marshall can start a manhunt, which happens separately from the normal sequence of turns."

In other words, if the Fugitive can get to #42 without the Marshall having the option so start a manhunt (because the highest revealed hideout is higher than #29), then the game ends immediately, as it is not "necessary" for the Fugitive to escape the manhunt.

So, to answer your questions:

1. Yes and you should play it face up, as suggested here.
2. No, the Marshall can't have a normal turn after that, but can start a manhunt, if the requirements for it have been met.
3. Yes (unless the Marshall wants to forfeit the game and not start a manhunt).
4. Yes.

Note that, in answering the above, I've assumed that there are still unrevealed hideouts by the time the Fugitive plays #42. If the Marshall has correctly guessed all hideouts on the table during one of her normal turns, the game ends immediately with a Marshall victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fowers
United States
OGDEN
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Spot on. Thanks for answering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of curiosity, what is the significance of 29 as a tipping point for whether a manhunt can start or not?

Why not allow a manhunt as a last ditch effort all the time? Because it would be too easy to guess at that late stage of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.