Subject: Energy Empire vs. 51st State Master Set rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dimitrios Seretakis
Greece
Karpenisi
Euritania
flag msg tools
I am interested on adding a new engine building game to my collection and i am torn between these two. Our plays are with usually 3-4 players, replayability and variable set up is a must, play time is not an issue and we don't mind a little "take that" as long as you don't ruin the other player's chances completely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Energy Empire yet, but 51st State Master Set is really good. Takes everything Imperial Settlers did well and makes it better...the post-apocalyptic theme doesn't hurt either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas De Wolf
Belgium
Gent
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
I am the Black Wizards
badge
My hammer listened to Amon Amarth and became Mjölnir
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played both recently I liked Energy Empire a little bit better. Somewhat more strategical in the worker placement department (especially the timing element for taking them back in your pool from the board). The energy dice system is also a pleasant addition. The thing I disliked were the random achievements (free easy points if you're lucky) and that there's not really any interaction either.

I was a bit disappointed that in 51st state it's actually difficult to destroy other people's cards. You only destroy a card if it's really the heart of their engine and gives you good spoils and still it will probably cost too much to destroy. So this occurs maybe once per game.
Granted there's a deck of cards for more destruction in the box and a special faction for destruction (Mutants).
Best thing in 51st state is obviously the three-way use a card can have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Strubczewski
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Energy Empire will have wider appeal. Its worker placement and engine tableau building. 51st is strictly engine tableau building and a little more difficult to establish an engine. I love both games and highly recommend them for their styles of gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I feel Energy Empire is the better game. Though 51st State has good engine building it's less cohesive and meaningful. 51st is opportunity engines while EE is more strategic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D
Italy
Muggiò
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both and like them both very much but I agree with Marty, MP:EE is a bit more approachable and can be played with pretty much everyone, while 51st State is more of a gamer's game (if you intend to play it mainly with the same group, not an issue).

While they have both an engine building component, though, they aren't that similar: MP:EE has a worker placement on a board central mechanic (with a twist), while 51st State is essentially a (multi-use) card game, with a more involved use of resources.

Both have really cool artwork (obviously in very distinct styles) and good production values, with beautiful components.

So, I'd say decide based on a) the mechanics and b) the theme; both are really good and you won't be disappointed with either!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett McLay
United States
South Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Manhattan Project: Energy Empire has an expansion in development. This aims to improve interaction and tightness of play. Otherwise I agree when people say its replayability is solid. There are multiple tracks to victory: UN, 'dice, structures, achievements.

Finally, a nod to contemporary designs. What sold me was a fresh integration of theme. You manage the costs of pollution in a way that contrasts with Power Grid and Antiquity. And it is a different animal entirely from CO₂.
MP:EE successfully hints at the interplay between environment & economy; and there is more coming.
If this is your gig, go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also chip in that EE is WAY more approachable than CO2. Don't get me wrong, I love CO2 and would really enjoy it seeing more table time, but for some reason, lots of people get scared by it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitrios Seretakis
Greece
Karpenisi
Euritania
flag msg tools
Thanks for all your replies guys! I will get EE first and leave 51st State for when i need an engine builder again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian M
United States
California
flag msg tools

senorcoo wrote:
I haven't played Energy Empire yet, but 51st State Master Set is really good. Takes everything Imperial Settlers did well and makes it better...the post-apocalyptic theme doesn't hurt either.

The timeline is the other way around. Imperial Settlers was a reimplementation of 51st State. My guess is that someone didn't like having one big single deck to share with faction abilities on the player boards, so they made faction decks so that each faction was more focused.

As to which is better or worse...that's totally subjective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.