Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
It seems most Americans want to allow non-violent protests to continue, also checks and balances by a larger margin.

http://www.people-press.org/2017/03/02/large-majorities-see-...

This goes against the proposal in recent thread about a new law proposed to allow non-violent protesters to be charged with rioting if someone else damaged some property during the protest.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Same GOP legislatures that are willing to do violence to the first amendment are the ones committed to extending second amendment "rights" as far as possible...
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve1501 wrote:
It seems most Americans want to allow non-violent protests to continue, also checks and balances by a larger margin.

http://www.people-press.org/2017/03/02/large-majorities-see-...

This goes against the proposal in recent thread about a new law proposed to allow non-violent protesters to be charged with rioting if someone else damaged some property during the protest.


I'd be more frightened than relieved by that poll (assuming accurate etc.)

12% of Americans think news organisations should not be free to criticise political leaders. That's without considering the further 20% who say only somewhat. Think about the implications of what that means. And don't be too complacent that it's only 12%. The somewhats matter, and make a total of 32% who reject the First Amendment. And probably not long ago if you'd listed Donald Trump's characteristics you'd have got less than 12%. (Actually you still might, the rest might just deny he has them.)
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
Dearlove wrote:
Steve1501 wrote:
It seems most Americans want to allow non-violent protests to continue, also checks and balances by a larger margin.

http://www.people-press.org/2017/03/02/large-majorities-see-...

This goes against the proposal in recent thread about a new law proposed to allow non-violent protesters to be charged with rioting if someone else damaged some property during the protest.


I'd be more frightened than relieved by that poll (assuming accurate etc.)

12% of Americans think news organisations should not be free to criticise political leaders. That's without considering the further 20% who say only somewhat. Think about the implications of what that means. And don't be too complacent that it's only 12%. The somewhats matter, and make a total of 32% who reject the First Amendment. And probably not long ago if you'd listed Donald Trump's characteristics you'd have got less than 12%. (Actually you still might, the rest might just deny he has them.)

Yes, that is really quite discouraging, but it is also understandable.

I would bet that every single person in that 12% is a Never Say Die Trump supporter.

And, we need to remember our American history. During the Pres. John Adams Admin. in the 1790s, Thomas Jefferson had created the 1st opposition party, the Democratic-Republican Party to oppose the Federalist Party. Adams and the Federalists in Congress passed the Alien and Sedition Acts. This law made it illegal to criticize the Pres. and other Gov. office holders. This was before Mayberry vs Madison so the US SC could not yet declare it unconstitutional. Several people were jailed for months or years. After T. Jefferson was elected Pres. in 1800 in the Lame Duck Congress the Federalists repealed the law because they wanted to oppose the new Pres. and didn't want to be jailed for it.

It is very tempting, but it is not good for Democracy to pass such laws. Duh!

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
Steve1501 wrote:
It seems most Americans want to allow non-violent protests to continue, also checks and balances by a larger margin.

http://www.people-press.org/2017/03/02/large-majorities-see-...

This goes against the proposal in recent thread about a new law proposed to allow non-violent protesters to be charged with rioting if someone else damaged some property during the protest.


I'd be more frightened than relieved by that poll (assuming accurate etc.)

12% of Americans think news organisations should not be free to criticise political leaders. That's without considering the further 20% who say only somewhat. Think about the implications of what that means. And don't be too complacent that it's only 12%. The somewhats matter, and make a total of 32% who reject the First Amendment. And probably not long ago if you'd listed Donald Trump's characteristics you'd have got less than 12%. (Actually you still might, the rest might just deny he has them.)


13% of Americans think interracial marriage should be illegal.



We've got no shortage of fools if you want to measure it that way.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
Dearlove wrote:
Steve1501 wrote:
It seems most Americans want to allow non-violent protests to continue, also checks and balances by a larger margin.

http://www.people-press.org/2017/03/02/large-majorities-see-...

This goes against the proposal in recent thread about a new law proposed to allow non-violent protesters to be charged with rioting if someone else damaged some property during the protest.


I'd be more frightened than relieved by that poll (assuming accurate etc.)

12% of Americans think news organisations should not be free to criticise political leaders. That's without considering the further 20% who say only somewhat. Think about the implications of what that means. And don't be too complacent that it's only 12%. The somewhats matter, and make a total of 32% who reject the First Amendment. And probably not long ago if you'd listed Donald Trump's characteristics you'd have got less than 12%. (Actually you still might, the rest might just deny he has them.)


13% of Americans think interracial marriage should be illegal.



We've got no shortage of fools if you want to measure it that way.


Again, that 13% is the extreme case "want to make it illegal". We all (well anyone with a clue) knows that problems extend well beyond that 13%. Also that pandering to percentages of even just that size can win elections, thus giving groups of that size disproportionate influence in some cases - unless it costs more votes elsewhere (not including people who weren't going to vote for you anyway). Sure, no one is going to make any form of marriage illegal on that basis, but to garner their votes someone may well, for example, reign back on anti-discrimination laws and implementation. In fact actually is doing so now.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Meh. They do surveys and polls on the Bill of Rights (the first 10 amendments to the constitution) on a regular basis. It is astounding and sad how many people would strip away the protections offered by the Bill of Rights IF THEY ARE NOT LABELED AS SUCH. Similar to all those polls about "Obamacare" and the Affordable Care Act. Lots of people didn't like "Obamacare/ACA" but when you broke it down to individual facets, people were solidly behind it.

Marketing is everything....shake
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
Dearlove wrote:
Steve1501 wrote:
It seems most Americans want to allow non-violent protests to continue, also checks and balances by a larger margin.

http://www.people-press.org/2017/03/02/large-majorities-see-...

This goes against the proposal in recent thread about a new law proposed to allow non-violent protesters to be charged with rioting if someone else damaged some property during the protest.


I'd be more frightened than relieved by that poll (assuming accurate etc.)

12% of Americans think news organisations should not be free to criticise political leaders. That's without considering the further 20% who say only somewhat. Think about the implications of what that means. And don't be too complacent that it's only 12%. The somewhats matter, and make a total of 32% who reject the First Amendment. And probably not long ago if you'd listed Donald Trump's characteristics you'd have got less than 12%. (Actually you still might, the rest might just deny he has them.)


13% of Americans think interracial marriage should be illegal.



We've got no shortage of fools if you want to measure it that way.


"Disapprove of" and "Think should be Illegal" are not necessarily synonymous.

Often exactly the opposite. There are many things I will defend to the death the rights of people to choose to do that I think are downright vile and would hold them in contempt for actually doing.


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
I'd be more frightened than relieved by that poll (assuming accurate etc.)

12% of Americans think news organisations should not be free to criticise political leaders. That's without considering the further 20% who say only somewhat. Think about the implications of what that means. And don't be too complacent that it's only 12%. The somewhats matter, and make a total of 32% who reject the First Amendment. And probably not long ago if you'd listed Donald Trump's characteristics you'd have got less than 12%. (Actually you still might, the rest might just deny he has them.)


You should go back and track the history of that particular question. Those attitudes have been around for a long time in roughly the same percentages. It's nearly identical to polling before the last election, for example.

We've got our streak of crazy, to be sure. But this sounds worse than it really is, particularly if you can find polls where people would actually push for changes to laws to bring these views out of the realm of opinion into action.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
13% of Americans think interracial marriage should be illegal.


The #1 rule of working with polls is that you don't get to change the wording of the response. The poll question doesn't get close to saying what you're saying here, and representing it as such is just wrong.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.