The Dresden Files Cooperative Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: First Impressions of a 2 payer game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We finally got round to playing this having had it sit for a few weeks unopened due to work.

First off I love the box, dividers etc. Was a bit frustrated I couldnt keep the insert with my usual Dragon Shield sleeves but the MayDay ultra snug ones work with the insert so were good (Sorry, I have a sleeving issue due to my kids play my games).

So, my 12 year old son has played it solo 4 times and having beaten Storm Front was getting frustrated I would not let him play Bk2 until I had beaten book 1. We played 2 player last night and overall it was great, the play was logical, intuitive and fast - as it was my first game we played open handed so we could gain a better understanding of the card interactions and it was brilliant.

Stupidly I ignored what I had read and just blasted bad guys to pieces - which meant we got to the showdown with a few dead bodies but not having solved any clues and only 5 fate left - we lost.

Playing again tonight and this time less spells and blasting rods and more thinking.

I only have 2 bugbears. The first is I didnt order the 3 expansions in the KS so will now have to wait for them to arrive in the UK in June/July and the 2nd is with the game.

In 2 player you play 2 Characters each, the problem I have is that means we needed to play outside the books as if I remember rightly Karin, Susan and Harry are the only ones I have that appear in Storm Front - its a little thing but it bugged me.

Overall love the game and would give it an 8/9 out of 10 as its original, great theme and playable Solo and with 2+ players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Hicks
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
"Classic" recreation of the novels probably works best in 3-player (and consequentially, solitaire). At least earlier in the novels the supporting cast hasn't expanded enough to support the presence of a fourth character as much. As bugbears go, tho, hopefully a survivable one. Storm Front is probably the one most vulnerable to it, even by Fool Moon you've got a cast of four within the core game. 5-player in most cases will strain the "but that's not like the novels!" take ... tho really, the game is more of a "What-If?" engine than a re-creator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As you say, its a pretty small bugbear (and your right re solo as I didnt let my son play with any but those 3 -after all this one is my game not his so my rules :-) )

Had to have at least 1 bugbear to justify why i rated it 9 instead of 10.

As said, love the game and cant wait for the expansions to be released as i wasnt fully convinced during the KS, its also made us want your forthcoming Dresden Accelerated RPG as it will be his first and my first since D&D 2nd edition when I was his age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Vogel
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
With the expansions, and in the later books, it's much easier to stay in canon with all numbers of players. So maybe bugbear number one will take care of bugbear number two :-).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tucker
msg tools
I'm glad the game is sounding better and better...but...wow....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Zaretsky
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I just finished playing my first game (Stormfront, of course), also with two players. My ally in the game hadn't read the books nor seen the TV series, but we both enjoyed the experience. We lost miserably though, in spite of playing on easy difficulty. We did the opposite that you did, so by the showdown, we had 2 or 3 solved cases, and only one defeated enemy, but almost nothing else on the board, so that we could see that it was not even possible for us to win.

I did get the expansions with the kickstarter, so that wasn't an issue for me. As far as being forced to use characters that were not in the books, while I think it would be fun to limit ourselves only to characters from the books, I was fine with it. And as you say, it's a necessity that's defined by the number of players. That's an issue with theme, but not with gameplay. Obviously, it was not an issue at all for my teammate who is brand new to the IP.

One issue I did have, and possibly it was because we were both learning the game together, was that we chose characters somewhat arbitrarily. I had some idea having read the books, and I chose Waldo Butters as one of mine because I could relate to him (not because of a love of Polka lol -- he's a science nerd, like me). The problem with that choice is that Butters starts with his stunt face-down, and no obvious way of turning it face up. As soon as I realized that I had absolutely no way to turn that card face up, I felt like we were playing with a handicap. I remembered that Mouse has a way of activating stunts of other characters, but Mouse wasn't in our game. Anyway, I have to figure out if that's a design flaw, or I missed something in the rules, or what.

/Edit Damnit! I misread the card. It happens. I read the text to mean that THE CARD starts face down, when it actually says that it starts with that particular side face down. In retrospect, had there not been any text, it would have been impossible to make that mistake. Why is that text even there? Were people not realizing that unused stunts should not be in the 'used' position?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Hicks
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Were people not realizing that unused stunts should not be in the 'used' position?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.