Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,guys,

simple question...

Which is your favourite game from the series so far!.thats this 4 released.
mine is [just] Wrath of ashardalon.closely followed by castle ravenloft.
both have got the best D&D minis in the series.

anyone else thing the drizzt mini is a bit meh..upto a lot of the others?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with your ranking as regards the minis. The tiles are more interesting in LoD and ToEE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All of them : Great minis..

Ravenloft best theme quests (love undead and vampires ) worst encounter deck vry random.

Ashardalon Best minis love the mix of minis in this one and the large dragon, poor campaign mode dull bland repative quests compared to others

Drizzit Best tiles and Encounter deck and tiles interaction (love the lava points and small passage tile ) deck worst heros (i'm not a fan of Famous named heros)

Elemental best campaign implementation (vs ashes any way, e.g i like buying the extra tokens powers ) nothing really negative about elemental.

Dungeon Command : like all, don't always mix them in , love the hero allies card though wish there was more like this.

Summary:
best
1 Elemental (purely for campaign support)
2 Drizzit (tile art and encouther deck)
3 Raven ( Theme Strahd, i like named villains but not named heros!)
4 Ash (door made things a little interesting and models are great for standard D&D orcs and oozes demons dwarves )

though i have been converted to descent due to app i love the simplicity of these sometimes and will still hoping to pick up the 5th

perfect game:
elemental campaign story with Ravens Monster deck and villains and Drizzits tiles and encounter deck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't even opened my Elemental box yet (and I should, if anything to scan the games). Of the three original, Legend of Drizzt is the best in my book. Ravenloft is too random and unfun to play. Ashardalon is a little better but really just more of the same. Drizzt finally implemented the mechanics in an interesting way, with sharp corners and dead ends in the tiles, hero abilities that affected monsters (like moving away or attacking, etc), and very interesting quests (traitor mechanics). Drizzt shines among the three as fun to play in our group.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lon Shaffer
United States
Johnstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally agree with Milarky, when my kids have the choice - Raven hits the table 90% of the time, they like the terror side of things and trying to make it out of the dungeon alive. especially when the undead Dungeon Command set is mixed in with Ravenloft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
peter cooman
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like ashardalon the mostactually, because i really like playing the dragonborn sorcerer.

Ravenloft is good too, but kicks you in the face A LOT. That's not bad, but sometimes a bit too much.

Drizzt never really stuck with me, i think it's the only one where i didn't play all the scenarios.

TOEE is the best for the campaign system, but all the cultists make the monsters feel samey.

I'll still gladly play each one if someone wants to!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ah yes getting upgraded monsters is a bit samey

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank S
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tough to pick a favorite because I still like them all but have enjoyed ToEE more than I thought I would.

Even just the addition of the Advancement Tokens and a better thought our scenario system helped the series. Hopefully the upcoming 5th iteration will keep going in this vein.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeffrey james
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Probably like a lot of you, I mix a lot of the components for all of them together. LOD, however, is my favorite. In addition to what has been said already, I really love playing with the characters from the Drizzt book series. so fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary A
United States
Lakeville/Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, it's still Ravenloft. Just brutal and it always feels like an accomplishment if you win.

Least for me is Drizzt. It seems too easy.

As a side note, I have added the DC series as recommended to all 3 games. The added difficulty can be brutal.

I own ToE and have opened and punched it, I just haven't played it yet...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I have or previously had all the adventure series games. The Temple of Elemental Evil is my definitely my favorite as a complete game experience.

Why I like it:
- new trap elements,
- some tiles have no monsters and some have multiples
- the encounter deck isn't completely brutal
- the game develops and monster/treasure/encounter deck changes as you play
- switches up the adventure with town elements
- better variety of scenarios/objectives

The only things I don't like as much are the monsters (pretty generic, mostly humanoid) and the heroes don't have a lot of personality (human fighter, dwarf cleric, halfing rogue, zzzzz). I am really hoping the next game in the series has more interesting heroes and monsters. But mechanically ToEE has been the far more enjoyable series entry for me so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.