Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Savage
Austria
Vienna
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At this point, I have all the Firefly expansions (even some of the qwek fan made ones). But that really helps focus on why the Blue Sun expansion was so important to the game. This expansion FINALLY makes the Reavers more than a passing annoyance. In the base game, if 2 or more players decide to put the Reaver ship out in the middle of nowhere (always tended to happen) - it would never have any bearing in the game. This expansion changes all of that! 3 Reaver ships to be moved around means that it would take all players acting together to mean the Reavers don't move to annoying spots (and I'd never allow that ). Added to that, the chance of random Reaver appearances when you move into sectors - travelling the verse just got that little bit more scary! This is an extremely big plus in the expansion, something that had been badly needed in Firefly to this point.

This does mean that the difficulty of the game is increased. Reavers will be sitting on that planet you want to go to. Reavers will catch you eventually. Flying around Alliance space isn't even as safe as it once was. So games are that bit longer, but that doesn't bother me at all - I love a long game of Firefly!

New cards, equipment, crew - all great! Box art is fantastic as are all the new cards and the new sector map.

On the other hand, the new rim space sectors aren't really all that interesting. Meridian is a LONG way to go and Rim Space is much more dangerous than Border Space. This limits the reasons to head out that way. Mr Universe has a very interesting mechanic, but better to just take a starting mission from him and do that - so you can always remotely deal with him in future. Miranda is a LONG and dangerous journey to commit to, none of the quests that send you there are really worth the risk. Lord Harrow can give nice missions, but he's a long way to travel. And his missions are generally delivery missions, so it's a long term (dangerous) commitment to go visit him. On the other hand, his smuggling missions do pay well - finally offering a good alternative to Crime jobs!

The board is also getting pretty large by now - need a big table to accommodate it all! Feels great getting the entire 'Verse out there though.

I think it is, overall, a much needed addition to the Firefly game. It definitely addresses issues with the base game (Reaver ignorability). But could maybe have been thought out a bit better with storycards or rewards that make going out to Rim space a bit more appealing. While I love all the expansion content - this one is the only "must have" that I wouldn't play the base game without.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is really a tradeoff. I like both of the big box expansions. While Blue sun adds in the much needed Raver threat and makes them more menacing (as they should be), the extra supply planet is too far out and one of the new contacts (Mr Universe) adds a weird new mechanic that not everyone likes.

Kalidasa on the other hand adds new contacts that are pretty close to already established routes and not too far out of the way. Not a huge fan of the corvette though and I would prefer Kalidasa with the reavers from Blue Sun, lol.

Most people tend to prefer to just play the base game as it is the easiest to teach and takes up a lot less table space than the expansions. Toss in the extra Reavers from Blue Sun in the base game and it becomes very mean very fast. If you really have to choose an expansion though, I still say that the most important expansion to the game would be Breakin Atmo (though Crime & Punishment is a good one too now) as it expands on everything that made the base game so fun and gives it more variety while not expanding the map with systems that may never get explored anyway.

That said, who are we kidding? All of us who enjoy this game are pretty die hard fans and going to play with everything whenever possible anyway, lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Savage
Austria
Vienna
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender02 wrote:
That said, who are we kidding? All of us who enjoy this game are pretty die hard fans and going to play with everything whenever possible anyway, lol.

Goes without saying, for us die hards

I do agree with what you're saying. I love that all of the expansions ,that have been released so far, have added something great to the game. And we all have something that's our favorite thing about the game. I just find it hard to look past the difference that the new Reaver threat made to the game!

Regarding the Corvette - I think he's an interesting addition, but not super. I'm looking forward to qwek's plan to introduce the Operative as a contact!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emir G
msg tools
Hey, first time poster on the site. This is where I learned of how awesome Blue Sun is. I'm actually trying to get a new copy of Blue Sun in the UK but a lot of sites online seem to be out of stock... is there any place that has a copy available or is Gale Force Nine talking about producing more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mouldy Banana
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Gokturc wrote:
I'm actually trying to get a new copy of Blue Sun in the UK but a lot of sites online seem to be out of stock... is there any place that has a copy available or is Gale Force Nine talking about producing more?
Amazon has it on "pre-order" at around £30.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rodge wrote:
Mr Universe has a very interesting mechanic, but better to just take a starting mission from him and do that - so you can always remotely deal with him in future.

In the standard setup, you do not get a starting mission from Mr. Universe (only the 5 "base" contacts: Harken, Amnon Duul, Badger, Patience, Niska).

Though personally, I find that to be dumb. So usually, unless the specific story card says otherwise, I have each player draw one card from each contact (all 9 if playing with all expasions, more if playing with unofficial additions like GWEK's stuff). Which gives players a bit more flexibility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.