Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Savage
Austria
Vienna
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was very excited for this when we backed it on Kickstarter. When it arrived and we looked through it, I thought that the theme is great and something new. This game definitely had the "wow" factor for me in choosing it.

The artwork is good and the comments on cards are very clever and humorous. The box, board and pieces are great quality. Cards are great too. Really can't complain about the production quality. Though there certainly aren't enough money tokens at the lower level ($1) when you try playing with more players.

I've seen a few complaints about the rulebook, but I think that it is pretty clear for the most part. There are some scenarios that it doesn't cover (same as most 1st edition games really) and it does mention some things that don't exist - but aren't a big issue.

On the negative side, the game is not colour-blind friendly with regards to the cubes included representing viewers, something I really hate in a game.

The game plays simply enough, it's easy to understand the rules and play turns. There is a bit of strategy involved and it is definitely a confrontation game. However, we found that the game could be a bit harsh after a couple of turns when someone gets their "prime" tv show cancelled. With no catchup mechanics, a bad viewing period can see your chances of winning being crippled. While that does simulate the cutthroat world of television, it's not what we look for in a board game as it is too "Monopoly-like" for us (ie, you're still in the game, but doing nothing more than just playing out your turns until your guaranteed defeat).

The auction mechanism for talent is good, moving up the turn order is always a useful option in games (turn order is very important), but other options all feel a bit underpowered. Taking the first player token is good, of course. As is manipulating viewers. But some options are completely under-powered and useless (playing golf or selling(!) talent cards).

The puzzle of matching shows with talent against different nights is quite fun, figuring how to maximise your viewership and screwing over your opponent - definitely a bright point in this one.

Overall, I feel a bit let down with this one. I love worker placement games. Likewise, I love competitive games and the theme really looked cool. I just feel like there's something missing in this game, like it really wasn't play-tested enough to find out what works and to improve the actions that do nothing more than take up board space. So, a game I'd consider playing - but not likely to suggest it more than once or twice a year tops. In Prime Time's own terms, I'm afraid it's basically been cancelled in our gaming group - but we do have the a couple of reruns left to just milk some more usage out of the game. Probably a game we'll just put up for trade at some point.

By BGG's rating system, I agree with "Mediocre - take it or leave it.". So it's a 5/10 from me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Wong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When did you get the game? I still haven't receive my KS copy. Multiple emails and pms have been sent to different GEG staff, but there is still no response. And I am not the only one who's still waiting for the game. Just have a look at the comment section in the Prime Time KS page.
I just want to get refund after reading your review
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Savage
Austria
Vienna
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it was October that we received it.

Like many KS projects, I know there's often shipping issues (have experience them myself). I hope my review gives you the bit of solace that you're not really missing much
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.