MaryJane Henderson
msg tools
Hello, *waves*

I have been wanting to try Carcassonne for a long while now (Takenoko was my first non-mainstream board game and is my main game besides Love Letter at the moment), so I downloaded the Carcassonne app to try it out.

The app has a solo Solitaire Mode, and I was trying it out several times. I ended up being frustrated and confused. For some reason, I think I only had a few points for one city and one or two roads, and then I didn't get any more points after that.

I was thinking that perhaps maybe my cities were weird shapes or missing something, so I tried different angles for tiles and tried to complete my cities.

Still got no points.

Looked at photos of random Carcassonne games and looked at pictures in manual/rulebook so I could copy them, but I am guessing I am still doing something wrong, because I still wasn't getting points for what I thought were completed cities.

I really don't understand what I am doing wrong. Maybe I am confused by the artwork and creating misshapen cities?

I am wondering what makes a city. I am very confused and getting super frustrated with this app.

Also, can egg shaped cities earn points? I sometimes get points for them, sometimes I don't. Ugh, I really don't understand this app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't get points for completing cities per se, you need to have a majority of meeples in them (so at least one).

If you are not getting any points, it sounds to me like you didn't put any meeples in the cities or you completed cities that you did not control.

Yes, egg shaped (2-tile) cities earn 2 x 2 = 4 points.

Also, the shapes have no bearing on the points, the only thing that counts is the size of the city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you might need to check over the rules/how to play again. First draw & place a tile, then if you want, you place a meeple (a wooden figure) on a feature of the tile you just played. If any features are completed, such as a totally enclosed city or a road that has ended on both sides, points are awarded to the player with the most meeples on that feature. If you complete a city with no meeples in it, no one scores any points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
mbmbmbmbmb
Latina Bunny wrote:
Hello, *waves*

Hello, and welcome to Board Game Geek.

Quote:
I have been wanting to try Carcassonne for a long while now (Takenoko was my first non-mainstream board game and is my main game besides Love Letter at the moment), so I downloaded the Carcassonne app to try it out.

The app has a solo Solitaire Mode, and I was trying it out several times. I ended up being frustrated and confused. For some reason, I think I only had a few points for one city and one or two roads, and then I didn't get any more points after that.

I haven't used the solitaire mode on the app, but from a quick look the Rules for it in the app assume that you know the rules for the regular game and then applies variants to balance the effect of not having an opponent. Have you tried reading the normal game rules in the app - or even following the normal game tutorial - first? That may help you get a feel for what you need to do.

Quote:
I was thinking that perhaps maybe my cities were weird shapes or missing something, so I tried different angles for tiles and tried to complete my cities.

Still got no points.

Looked at photos of random Carcassonne games and looked at pictures in manual/rulebook so I could copy them, but I am guessing I am still doing something wrong, because I still wasn't getting points for what I thought were completed cities.

I really don't understand what I am doing wrong. Maybe I am confused by the artwork and creating misshapen cities?

I am wondering what makes a city. I am very confused and getting super frustrated with this app.

Cities are completed when the walls around the sections join up. It is difficult to describe this without reference to pictures, and since the rule book has the descriptions and with pictures, it may be easier to look at the rule book for the physical game. The rule book for the latest (English) edition is available at http://www.zmangames.com/uploads/4/7/1/7/47170931/carcassonn...

Quote:
Also, can egg shaped cities earn points? I sometimes get points for them, sometimes I don't. Ugh, I really don't understand this app.

Yes, they can. Note that to score points for a feature, you have to have a follower in it.

Also, from my quick glance at the solitaire rules in the app it looks as though there is a variable points "cost" for placing tiles so that may be affecting things. Again, playing the normal game (against an AI opponent) may make it easier to see what it happening before playing the solitaire version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
The solitaire mode on the app is a puzzle game, it's not Carcassonne. In Solitaire, you try to make a two tile city, then a three tile city, then a four tile city, etc. Same with roads. Your points are determined by how dense your tile layout is.

In real Carcassonne, you get points no matter how big, small, symmetrical, or weird your city is. Try setting up a game with you and an easy AI opponent. You'll see how the game really plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
Life Ain't No Zombiefarm
mbmbmbmbmb
churchmouse wrote:
Cities are completed when the walls around the sections join up. It is difficult to describe this without reference to pictures
That's not enough to qualify for a completed city. There also mustn't be a gap inside. I uploaded two pictures as an example and will link them here, if they are approved.

EDIT:
Unfinished city
Finished city
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
mbmbmbmbmb
Susumu wrote:
churchmouse wrote:
Cities are completed when the walls around the sections join up. It is difficult to describe this without reference to pictures
That's not enough to qualify for a completed city. There also mustn't be a gap inside. I uploaded two pictures as an example and will link them here, if they are approved.

True. It's a fair cop! blush

And a good example of what I meant by "difficult to describe without reference to pictures".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gannon Dubay
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I like big boxes and I can not lie.
badge
Rochester, NY - Willing to Play!
mbmbmbmbmb
swheelock wrote:
The solitaire mode on the app is a puzzle game, it's not Carcassonne. In Solitaire, you try to make a two tile city, then a three tile city, then a four tile city, etc. Same with roads. Your points are determined by how dense your tile layout is.

In real Carcassonne, you get points no matter how big, small, symmetrical, or weird your city is. Try setting up a game with you and an easy AI opponent. You'll see how the game really plays.

This. The solitaire mode on the app has completely different scoring than real Carcassonne. It's basically a totally different game. I play regular Carcassonne both in real life and on the app all the time, and the Solitaire mode still makes no sense to me laugh

Play a normal game with the AI if you're trying to learn the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
swheelock wrote:

I did a review of the iOS app here.....
https://videogamegeek.com/thread/532641/carcassonne-iphone-o...

The solitaire mode still has some elements of Carcassonne to it.
Scoring is the perimeter of your tiles, where that number is subtracted from a budget of 1,000 points, so being compact is better. So it's better to have a 5x5 area that penalizes you -20, vs. a 25x1 city that penalizes you -52 pts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MaryJane Henderson
msg tools
ackmondual wrote:
swheelock wrote:

I did a review of the iOS app here.....
https://videogamegeek.com/thread/532641/carcassonne-iphone-o...

The solitaire mode still has some elements of Carcassonne to it.
Scoring is the perimeter of your tiles, where that number is subtracted from a budget of 1,000 points, so being compact is better. So it's better to have a 5x5 area that penalizes you -20, vs. a 25x1 city that penalizes you -52 pts.

OMG, is that what it is? That explains so much, lol! laugh I was all like, "Where are of the cute little meeple ?!", and "Why am I not getting more points!" and getting frustrated and stuff, hahaha.

Thank you (and Gannon, and Scott, and others) for explaining the Solitaire app stuff!!! I was just so confused about it.

And, thank you everyone else for the normal gameplay tips as well! There are apparently also some things I have forgotten about, so I will definitely review the normal rules as well! (Like road building point stuff, for example.)

I will get a handle on the Carcassonne one day. Just need to review and study the rules some more, and keep on practicing (and playing, both solo and against other players or the AI), and stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MaryJane Henderson
msg tools
Susumu wrote:
churchmouse wrote:

EDIT:
Unfinished city
Finished city

Ooh! Thank you for the pics, Matthias! (I'm a visual person when it comes to this kind of stuff.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.