Ken Savage
Austria
Vienna
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Julia - "This game looks really good, will we get it?"
Me - "Hmmm, a game about making dresses. Nah, I dunno about that"
J - "It was in the running for KennerSpiel des Jahres. That's the sign of something really good."
Me - "Can get it if you like, don't know if I'll bother with it"

Well, I did bother enough to read the rules and watch an instruction video before playing. Gathering a group of 5 players (where I got the same "a game about making dresses?" comments that I did myself), we gave it a go.

And every one of us thought this game has the "wow" factor!

With 6 different actions and possible bonus actions (depending on your hand), there was a little bit of instruction to start. But everyone picked up the concepts really quickly and competition was always fierce for everything.

For me, this game has a bit of, pretty much, everything I could ask for. Element of deck building, worker placement, resource management, limited actions, ability to obtain first player status, difficult decisions, higher cost for "1st pick" of resources/new staff, ability to screw other players by taking what they wanted No-one can have everything and no-one will get everything they want in a turn. Your decisions and strategy will often change, when you see what the player before you has just done. You wanted to buy "that" dress, but the player before you just took two pieces of cloth - which makes the last one free. I might take the free cloth and hope for the dress to still be there....

The quality of the pieces are nice. The artwork is superb. The rulebook looks great and explains everything well. The fact it has a double sided board, to accomodate 2-3 or 4-5 players, is another amazing plus! The balance of the game is so good, no matter how many players we've tried it with.

So, I'm now surprised to say that I think this game is superb. It has so much in it, so many choices and variance of how things will turn out. Now that I've played Rococo loads of times, I can say that I love this game and definitely think this is one of those games that I'll always have and bring out multiple times per year.

Oh, and I'm totally over the fact that I spend my time "just making dresses"! In fact, a common theme I've seen after introducing the game to friends is that they run out almost immediately and purchase their own copy of the game! It really is THAT good

BGG rating system "Excellent - very much enjoy playing." describes how I feel about this - so it's a 9/10 from me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Gingrich
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. I love the decision space in this game. It's interesting, challenging, and fun. One of my favorites.

9/10 from me, too.

Looks to be getting into short supply. If you want a copy move sooner rather than later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Adkins
United States
Hamilton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Excellent game, sorry to say it does not get the attention it deserves simply because of the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Savage
Austria
Vienna
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
karst wrote:
sorry to say it does not get the attention it deserves simply because of the theme.

Definitely agree!

On the brighter side, from my point of view, loving this game has taught me to be more open minded when I see other games with a theme that doesn't immediately jump out at me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan
Russia
Ekaterinburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked this game for a birthday present as a replacement for "A Few Acres of Snow" (i.e. deck-building and area control). I've got the box already, but have to wait about 4 months to play the game whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ivan111 wrote:
I asked this game for a birthday present as a replacement for "A Few Acres of Snow" (i.e. deck-building and area control). I've got the box already, but have to wait about 4 months to play the game whistle

Why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan
Russia
Ekaterinburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wren08 wrote:
ivan111 wrote:

Why?

Why - replacement. Or why to wait?

Ok.
1) Replacement:
A Few Acres of Snow (AFAS) (2 plays): very long gameplay, broken strategy. At the same time - good mechanics (area control, deckbuilding), interesting theme.

Rococo:
a) has the same mechanics (and a few more);
b) unusual theme (to play with my wife - she doesn't like war, siege, blood, monsters, etc.);
c) has Russian edition;
d) was at online store.

2) Why to wait 4 months before playing:
a) there is no another Rococo copy in our little boardgame community;
b) I received the parcel witn boardgame so early before my birthday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.