United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeroen,

Yes, you're interpretation is correct, with the rules, as written. However, the rules are wrong on this account and you should use two sets of colored disks, as you'll need them also for Energy production (Wind Farm and Solar Cells). In the solo mode you need not have a marker on the Reputation/Satisfaction Track as it's not considered as part of a final score.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dieter van Loon
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi Jeroen,

Most of us have agreed that this would indeed be impossible and that 2 sets of round markers should be used.
You could use 1 color of markers for scenario objectives / score tracking and the other one for you research, technologies and energy production facilities.

Regards,
Dieter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agoston Rozvanyi
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Professor wrote:
Jeroen,

Yes, you're interpretation is correct, with the rules, as written. However, the rules are wrong on this account and you should use two sets of colored disks, as you'll need them also for Energy production (Wind Farm and Solar Cells). In the solo mode you need not have a marker on the Reputation/Satisfaction Track as it's not considered as part of a final score.

Cheers,
Joe

The cost of energy from RTG is 1 reputation point, so theoretically you need a marker on Reputation track. Actually if you get at least 2 RP, you will have enough points for all energy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krista Donnelly
United States
Beltsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to use the Reputation/Satisfaction track to gauge how well I did if I manage to win by meeting all the scenario goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agoston,

True, it's simply not required.

Krista,

Me too!

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty "on summer break" Malone
United States
Mansfield
Texas
flag msg tools
Knowledge is light
badge
Be the Change
mbmbmbmbmb
Dust Gremlins causes the same issue. To win- you need four repairs and the CO2 technology so 5 markers just for the scenario. That leaves only 2 if one is placed on the reputation. 3 if not. I've been using the cute footprint mini as the reputation tracker.

So 2/3 to use between energy and upgrades just doesn't feel right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maloma wrote:
Dust Gremlins causes the same issue. To win- you need four repairs and the CO2 technology so 5 markers just for the scenario. That leaves only 2 if one is placed on the reputation. 3 if not. I've been using the cute footprint mini as the reputation tracker.

So 2/3 to use between energy and upgrades just doesn't feel right.

Marty,

Thanks for raising the issue...I'm compiling questions for the RedImp Team to answer and I'll serve as the mediator/English translator to ensure a clarified response.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin M
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I personally use the 8 disk of my coorporation for my actions on the game board and I use disk of another color for the scenario board, depending on the number required by the mission. There is a problem with rules.

Bonjour Jeoren
Je prends la liberté de t'écrire en français, ma langue maternelle. Je viens de mettre en ligne une vidéo de la mise en place et des règles de base. Après ma première partie Solo, lutins de poussière, j'arrive au même constat. Le jeu a nettement été pensé pour un mode coopératif et il y a des lacunes avec le mode solo. Personnellement je conserve les 8 disques de la couleur de ma corporation pour mes actions sur le plateau et je prends les disques d'une autre couleur pour les actions spécifiques de la mission. Dans le cas du scénario Lutins de poussière: 4 de plus.

Je devrais être en mesure de mettre une partie sous peu en ligne.

Salutations
Martin M / La Société des Jeux
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khazad Dum
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all! I ran into this issue as I'm starting my first play through this morning with the Force Field scenario. Glad to know I can use some other bits.

Is there an official RedImp answer yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I had taken notes from the beginning of that Scenario. I played it over the past few days and while we were doing well in the beginning, an Event robbed me of my Solar Panels, coupled with back-to-back Sandstorms. We were hurting...but, steadily the teams (all four colors) built up Energy installations, managed to hire the right Experts and Assistance, and we claimed victory in the 3rd Round of the 4th Cycle!

As to the official answer from RedImp, I'll ping Krzysztof again.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Downie
United Kingdom
Wirral
Merseyside
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm starting to think the rules should just say "use 2 sets of discs when playing solo". I need to have a read through all the scenarios when I get time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Mansfield
Texas
flag msg tools
Knowledge is light
badge
Be the Change
mbmbmbmbmb
Vyking wrote:
I'm starting to think the rules should just say "use 2 sets of discs when playing solo". I need to have a read through all the scenarios when I get time...

I agree. That seems the easiest fix without all of the exceptions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Downie
United Kingdom
Wirral
Merseyside
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I need to have a good look through all the scenarios just to see how common the problem is. Most of us get to "New Schedule" and discover the problem.
A quick skim through them and the final scenario "The End" definitely needs two sets of tokens. There are 7 spots you need to fill on the scenario card so that's basically all of a set of 1 corporation's discs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Erik,

Good call!

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Chisholm
United States
Cresson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Professor wrote:
Jeroen,

Cheers,
Joe

Oh, thank Goodness!!

My Martians just got totally obliterated with my using only one set of tokens. No energy to do anything....

Regards,

Scott Chisholm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott,

Yes, this is something that the designers probably should have identified in the rules, as opposed to having folks discover it on their own. Energy is the lifeblood of the Scenarios...without it, you will surely lose...and die.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Fisher
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Professor wrote:
As to the official answer from RedImp, I'll ping Krzysztof again.

Any word yet? This is a REALLY important clarification, as the number of markers pretty much sets the decision tension for upgrade choices.

Also, what are you guys use the actual corporation markers in the player color for if anything? (yellow, by way of example in the rulebook). If you are using the player controlled corporation markers (blue and red, by example) adding in the yellow markers give you TOO much leeway IMHO

I have settled on playing as though it was a 2 player co-op meaning 16 markers for 18 potential spots

6 on corporation technologies
3 on colony technologies
8 on the energy installations (4 on solar, 4 on wind)
1 on the reputation track

This feels about right in terms of constraining choice.

One final thing of note is that this is actually MORE choice than in a pure 2 player co-op as you would only have 16 markers for 24 spots (6 additional corporation techs) Could an argument be made that both sets of markets makes the solo mode to easy???

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken,

Unfortunately, only silence on the other end at the moment.

Addressing your other concern...I'm not sure what you mean by "corporation markers" as you have round player markers, action markers, and colonist tokens. In the example, you have a set of round player markers(yellow) and two sets (red and blue) of action markers. For clarity, we've been talking about increasing the round player markers to 16 (from 8).

While you certainly identified where you can place the round player markers vis-a-vis the corporation card and the board, the scenarios will also draw on those same round player markers to fulfil the requirements.

Having played nearly a dozen games in Solo Mode, I certainly haven't found it easy, losing about 1/3 of the time and when I do win it's during the 3rd or 4th Round of the 4th Cycle.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Downie
United Kingdom
Wirral
Merseyside
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anybody gone through all the scenarios and knows absolutely which ones need 2 sets of discs? Just updating the Player Aid at the moment and I haven't had a chance to really go through all them just yet.

New Schedule and The End are definites. Is Dust Gremlins a definite as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Mansfield
Texas
flag msg tools
Knowledge is light
badge
Be the Change
mbmbmbmbmb
dust gremlins requires 4 on the card and you have to have a research item done so 5 for the win condition. That leaves three for energy and any other development so feels like it needs two sets in my opinion. I played with 2 and still barely won. Barely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.