Rising Sun» Forums » General

Subject: Is this going to be next GLOOMHAVEN-isch? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Rodd
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello,
im thinking about pledging on this one... And maybe even more copies. What do you think, its going to be good game? Or even for sale later on?

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
Its NOT going to be hard-to-find like Gloomhaven because CMON Kickstarters have way more backers and CMON prints way bigger retail runs.

For comparison - Gloomhaven have just under 5,000 Kickstarter backers and a print run of 10,000. Rising sun already has over 18,000 backers with 24 days left to go. Which means bare mininum, its print run is going to be 3x the size of Gloomhaven's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anarawd Jackson
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
You'll have to wait till release to find out whether the game is good. Most users here will have not played the game and it is likely to be tweaked before release in any case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warning : what follows is just speculation. Nothing can be 100% sure while the rules haven't been posted, which should happen during the KS.

From the look of it, and what we've gathered from the rules so far, it's going to be a very good game IF (and that's a big IF) you like Diplomacy-style games. I've seen a comment that this is both Eric Lang's most personal game and most impressive design so far. It might be true.

The design looks solid, the way battles are handled is pretty interesting and fresh (I haven't seen anywhere this "multiple blind auctions with free discussion" system to resolve wars, where everyone can get something different out of the battle). The diplomacy is backhanded, with nice advantages to alliances but potential to backfire.

My only concern is that the game advertises 90-120min. As a Diplomacy-style game where every move can get discussed at length, I'd ballpark an actual game between 6 players has the potential to triple that. This is NOT a quick game that will get on the table often. Know what you're getting into.

Also, if you're hoping for epic battle resolution and/or dice chucking because there are big monsters, that's not going to happen. Don't buy expecting that, either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Rodd
msg tools
mbmbmb
No dice please! IThanks thats what im looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoltán Dudás
Hungary
flag msg tools
Olanzuan wrote:
Hello,
What do you think, its going to be good game?

Only you can answer that, as its purely subjective.

Most of the gameplay and flow can be gathered from the articles, videos already out. There are several threads which give a qood summary of the game itself if you dont want to spent too much time on it. But in general research it and decide.
There are 3 weeks still to go, so you can of course wait for more gameplay vids and actual rulebook.

I came across this game several months ago due to certain mechanics/theme it has. Not because CMON, not because minifest, not because Eric Lang, not because hype. But because I actually was looking for a game like this and so far it seems to fill the spot I was looking to fill. So I backed.

But if dont like the mechanic, dont like 3+ player, already have a very similar game etc, then its not a good game for you.
The choice is yours

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linh K.
Finland
Lohja
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If this campaign is going to follow other CMON campaigns (and why not), most probably the game will hit retail earlier than most ppl will get their pledges. But like all CMON KS so far, you'll get plenty of extras. Comme ci comme ça.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
mbmbmbmbmb
The marketplace will be flooded after the KS delivery. Nevertheless I'm pretty sure you will get more than $100 for a new copy in shrink.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Plassard
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I think it will be in contention for the inaugural Scythe hype train award for 2018.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like others have said it will be on sale and likely not too hard to find a copy at retail, but you do get a bunch of extra value from all the stretch goals that are included.

Nobody has any more insight on whether the game will be good than what you can find on the Kickstarter page. Eric Lang is an experienced designer with lots of popular games, but what makes a game good is always subjective and even the most popular game ever made is going to have some people who hate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Avelar
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the next Blood Rage. All my friends that dont have the extra cool minis for Blood Rage are still mad.

I also kickstarted Gloomhaven and it is the GOAT!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Antivelar wrote:
This is the next Blood Rage. All my friends that dont have the extra cool minis for Blood Rage are still mad.

I also kickstarted Gloomhaven and it is the GOAT!

GOAT - Game Of All Time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
GOAT is a widespread abbreviation for greatest of all time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't really make money on CMoN projects any more. So no. Not the next Gloomhaven.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
GOAT is a widespread abbreviation for greatest of all time.

Thanks. I guess I don't get out enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloomhaven is far more innovative and far more niche at the same time. It is also FAR FAR more content for your buck. It doesn't do many minis (just 18) however.

Rising Sun will be printed in masses. Gloomhaven 2nd, if it hits Kickstarter, can grow really big, now that it is famous.

Rising Sun you will easily be getting of stores, at the same time KS backers get it. The KS expansions however will be hard to get by.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:
Its NOT going to be hard-to-find like Gloomhaven because CMON Kickstarters have way more backers and CMON prints way bigger retail runs.

For comparison - Gloomhaven have just under 5,000 Kickstarter backers and a print run of 10,000. Rising sun already has over 18,000 backers with 24 days left to go. Which means bare mininum, its print run is going to be 3x the size of Gloomhaven's.

Additionally, CMON have a very high number of speculator purchases which means even 18,000 backers will result in a bunch of KS copies on eBay. CMON backers continue to chase the Zombicide, Arcadia Quest, and Blood Rage KS exclusives bubble. But, prospectors have pretty much killed the second-hand market based on Masamorra and Arcadia Quest: Inferno eBay sales.

Conversely, Gloomhaven doesn't really have exclusives (other than some standees), there simply aren't enough copies to meet demand. I think people are crazy to pay $300+, when a reprint will have the game around $100-120. There are so many great games on the market, but people can't delay gratification for a year because "hype." (Not saying Gloomhaven isn't an amazing game, but buying it at 3x retail is "hype.")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.