Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil Zammit
England
Portsmouth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi fellow investigators,

My wife and I are really enjoying this new expansion. We have all the other expansions too, and enjoy playing with them all mixed in together. We usually take one investigator each; I generally pick one at random but my wife likes to think a bit more strategically about her choice.

So in taking on the new Ancient Ones, we immediately destroyed Hypnos in our first game, bizarrely ending up with three mysteries solved and the doom track higher than when it started!

...And then we came to Atlach-Nacha. Oh dear. We've failed dramatically in about 6-7 games against her now.

SO. I'd be really interested to hear of any strategy tips from people who have had a bit more success than us against Atlach-Nacha? How did you manage it??

Thanks all! :thumbsup:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am 0 - 5. I even found a note in my game log comments stating that I bet I never beat this one.

It remains the only Ancient One that I haven't beaten.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Zammit
England
Portsmouth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dlikos wrote:
I am 0 - 5. I even found a note in my game log comments stating that I bet I never beat this one.

It remains the only Ancient One that I haven't beaten.

Hi Dan,

Good to hear it's not just me! Likewise, we've defeated all the Ancient Ones bar this one. Yig took a looooooong time to take down, but we got there in the end. Not sure we will this time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
neil84 wrote:
SO. I'd be really interested to hear of any strategy tips from people who have had a bit more success than us against Atlach-Nacha? How did you manage it??

This is one where six investigators is as good as four, and maybe better. Yes, you spawn extra gates on yellow mythos cards, but there are only four of those in the first 10 cards, and you would be spawning extra gates from her reckoning effect, anyway. This way, you have more investigators to close the gates.

Beyond that, focus on keeping gates in check and mysteries worked on very quickly. A bit of luck is always useful. In most cases, it's better to save the clues and spells, and let her reckoning effect kick in normally. The difference is when you have a large surplus of clues or spells, or you have some glamour spells you want gone quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tattersall
England
flag msg tools
mbmb
Getting closer with Luke and Wendy as part a dream team ☺
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Zammit
England
Portsmouth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We came sooooo close yesterday. With Luke - closing gates as they came up - and Tony the bounty hunter - using his ability to generate clues.

We were in a position to win, if we could both cast a spell on the same turn and discard a clue alongside it. All was in place, we had a clue each and both characters with at least 3 lore.... Both failed the rolls to cast their spells!

After which, all Hell broke loose and we lost pretty quickly.

That's the closest we've come. The hunt for the win continues...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pinchy Crab
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You guys would have had to be there to believe this one. Played a couple days with two of my mates, six investigators total. The first mystery took forever, the second a little while, and then she woke up. Knocked out the third one fast and everybody hauled it over to Greenland. From there, in one single turn, we started kicking the crap out of Atlach-Nacha--some great rolls that I couldn't believe. There were gates open all over the place, though, and time was VERY short. We had one turn left after the current mythos, but she was at 1/9 health. I really thought we had it.

Then somebody's Dark Pact triggered. We never got the chance to strike the killing blow. A broken and bloody giant spider finished pulling the world into the Dreamlands by the skin of her teeth. Oh man, we were pissed...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal K
msg tools
Unfortunately Atlach-Nacha has a really high difficulty in low investigator count games.

Since you play as 2 people, this is tough.
The obvious choice is to tailor your Investigators to be more Spell/Clue heavy.

But that is "cheating" since you should pick Investigators before, and choose Ancient One at random.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Zammit
England
Portsmouth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phew. We finally got it done!!! Ultimately it was a surprisingly easy win v Atlach-Nacha

The successful duo (chosen randomly) were Darrell and Norman. Darrell's ability to hold onto clues was beyond useful. Combined with Norman's ability to spend sanity instead of clues, and once we got him a decent weapon and some spells he became pretty good in combat too.

To be fair we probably got pretty lucky along the way too, but I'll happily take that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Godfrey
France
Lissac
flag msg tools
badge
Never fear, Doc Savage is here!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoard clues and don't use them for anything other than keeping extra gates off the board and solving mysteries and/or Mythos cards (even then reflect on the losses verses the gains of keeping a clue). No matter how desperate you may be to use them for an extra dice roll, priviledge focus and assets for that.

Winning team, McGlen, Morgan, Walters, Phan.

If you play Minh, keep her with another investigator at all times as her passive ability can give the edge in a tight situation (she followed Morgan). She's also a decent gate closer. Get her a decent weapon if possible. I got lucky, imagine her wielding a gattling gun. .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.