Hide
12 Posts

Fields of Arle» Forums » Variants

Subject: Changing Animals scoring rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Silvia Madau
msg tools
First of all, I must say I love this game. There are so many things to do, so many ways to score points. I'm very happy to have it!

I like to explore different strategies for victory and I'm wondering if it's possible to change the animals VP, counting 1 point for each one.

Do you think this will make the game too much unbalanced?

I'd like that mr. Uwe Rosenberg gives is own opinion, because the animals points is very unique and must be a reason if he decide to score points for animals in this way.

Thank you for answers and sorry for my english.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Vaader
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Original rules are fine because they bring more tension, but in fact, they are not too realistic. Maybe some kind of market, for example: before you start the game, for any sort of animal, roll d6: 1 - 0VP; 2,3,4 - 1VP; 5,6 - 2VP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
73silvy73 wrote:
First of all, I must say I love this game. There are so many things to do, so many ways to score points. I'm very happy to have it!

I like to explore different strategies for victory and I'm wondering if it's possible to change the animals VP, counting 1 point for each one.

Do you think this will make the game too much unbalanced?

I'd like that mr. Uwe Rosemberg gives is own opinion, because the animals points is very unique and must be a reason if he decide to score points for animals in this way.

Thank you for answers and sorry for my english.

The point of the rule is that it prevents you form just specializing in one type of animal. Making them all worth one point might make it too easy to just focus on one type and breed the heck out of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J. Sansom
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keeping the animal scoring rules the same, except giving 0.5 points for each animal of which you have the most is a rather interesting variant that we've tried. Thematically it makes sense that they're still worth something even though they are in abundance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also play with a house rule where you have to reduce your grain every season to simulate feeding the animals. I've been working on the best way to incorporate "cleaning the stall" using "poop" tokens. On the one hand it gives you extra fuel, on the other it makes your animals not score and not breed if their stalls aren't clean. I find it's also more thematic if you have to take cleaning actions before all the other actions since it's something you try and do first thing in the day down on the farm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paris

Monforte de Lemos
LUGO
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sirgalin wrote:
I also play with a house rule where you have to reduce your grain every season to simulate feeding the animals. I've been working on the best way to incorporate "cleaning the stall" using "poop" tokens. On the one hand it gives you extra fuel, on the other it makes your animals not score and not breed if their stalls aren't clean. I find it's also more thematic if you have to take cleaning actions before all the other actions since it's something you try and do first thing in the day down on the farm.

Or the poo can go on the fields as fertiliser.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silvia Madau
msg tools
grant5 wrote:

The point of the rule is that it prevents you form just specializing in one type of animal. Making them all worth one point might make it too easy to just focus on one type and breed the heck out of it.

"Specialization" is what I look for, because it make the game always different. I didn't like "Caverna" because at the end of the game, my player board was almost always the same. "FoA" is more various: there are many possibilities, so why can I specialize in one kind of animals?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silvia Madau
msg tools
ajax013 wrote:
Keeping the animal scoring rules the same, except giving 0.5 points for each animal of which you have the most is a rather interesting variant that we've tried. Thematically it makes sense that they're still worth something even though they are in abundance.

I like very much your suggestion. I'll give it a try. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silvia Madau
msg tools
sirgalin wrote:

Very, very interesting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
73silvy73 wrote:
grant5 wrote:

"Specialization" is what I look for, because it make the game always different. I didn't like "Caverna" because at the end of the game, my player board was almost always the same. "FoA" is more various: there are many possibilities, so why can I specialize in one kind of animals?

Well, because specialization is just easier. Trying to get all the animals every time may feel boring to you, but it makes the game more challenging.
If you'd rather make the game easier so that it feels different, it's your game, by all means do so. But that is the effect of what you're describing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan-Willem van Leeuwen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
73silvy73 wrote:

Try this: 3 points for each set of 3 different animals, plus 1 point for each (remaining) set 2 different animals. Left-over single animals don't give points.

This gives the same amount of points as the original rules, but has a thematic explanation. Not a very strong one, but perhaps Arle is a region where people are impressed by farmers with sets of 3 different animals, rather than a lot of one type of animal.

Note: if a future expansion adds a new type of animal, this probably breaks down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6 out of 7 dwarfs are not Happy
mbmbmb
Have you ever tried Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small? It might have the animal-focused game-play you're interested in. I only just started trying the app version of it so I'm not sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.