Epic Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Champion types and discrepancies. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T G
msg tools
For any champion card, the type line reads like this:

<Alignment> <Class> Champion

Usually the 'Class' is the merely the species of being, but on a handful of cards it's also includes the champion's profession.

Strangely, in almost every case, the profession is 'Mage' and it doesn't seem universally applied - eg Zealous Necromancer clearly didn't pass wizarding school, despite his murderous and lordly brothers earning the moniker.

The lonely chap with a nominated profession outside of mage* is monsieur Dark Knight, who is, rather fittingly, a knight. But White Knight? Nope. Not a knight. Must be an imposter!

*well, Tyrants has tyrants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B-Rad
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL! I always wondered about this, myself. I figured there might be some expansions or newer concepts in the pipeline for Race/Profession effects...now I'm sitting here laughing about the knights. Only one of them finished Knight School!

......shake...

.........I'll see myself out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Taylor
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools

Well...we *could* use some excuse about limited space on the type line, and making the decision to include and/or exclude certain things based on game balance and flavour...

However, that's no fun.

Ask your questions and I will explain any discrepancy away.

Ian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B-Rad
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not so much a discrepancy, but a character-related question:

Why all the Minotaur-mangling?

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1563328/poor-minotaur

I still haven't seen this answered anywhere. Are Minotaurs contractually obligated to be killed, or do they just happen to be the most clumsy and/or naive of Champions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Wo
msg tools
I happened to meet the White Knight, or someone who claimed to be him, a few days ago. I asked him about this, he said--with a red face--that he filled out his paperwork to the 'Go All Knight Society' improperly.

He was in a rush, so when he saw the word 'white' on his knightly application, he ticked that off, assuming that it was asking him what type of knight he was, instead of 'other' which he totally is.

Now it's going to take six month to a year to get it all sorted out, because that's just how bureaucracy works. In the mean time, the 'Go All Knight Society' has allowed him to use the tile of Knight in informal settings, but formally, he can not be called a knight.

I'm sure when his paperwork gets sorted out--probably sometime when a second edition comes out-- he will be formally acknowledged as a knight, with all privileges that go along, which includes a silver key, granting him access to the knightly privy in all castles, keeps, and fortresses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B-Rad
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
**Sigh**

Oh, the bureaucracy of Lordship and Knighthood.

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Glass
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
deeth82 wrote:
Why all the Minotaur-mangling?

They smell delicious.

It's in the lore, and if I could find the story/link this post would be much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Taylor
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Decidedly not canon...

The Minotaur Problem
by
Ian Taylor

If there was something that the Gods could always count on, it was that Valentia would find a way to disrupt proceedings. Sometimes it would be a passionate speech about justice. Sometimes it would be a heated debate over some perceived rule being broken.

Today she would not stop beating Riksis over the head with pottery.

Valentia found out long ago that the famed dancer of destruction would not be able to dodge, duck, and weave if she sat on his legs and bludgeoned him with things.

The Etherium, a large hall where the Gods gathered to observe the Game, rang with his shouts. Valentia wasn’t doing permanent damage, but it felt good, and Riksis needed a lesson. None of the other Gods would help him. They felt that the fight was even, and most of them didn’t much like Riksis because he did unflattering impressions of them.

Eventually the Justicebringer got up, satisfied that her message was heard. She had also run out of decorative pots with which to break over his head.

Tarken spoke. He always did. “I’m sure that was well-founded, but what did he do this time?”

Valentia scowled. “Minotaurs!”

Furios nodded. “I noticed them as well.”

“He never cleans up after himself!” said Valentia.

“What do you mean?” asked Riksis, brushing himself down.

Valentia pointed to a section of the world map that dominated the room. “There. You see? You moved the land and the trees around to make your stupid labyrinths.”

“It was dull,” said Riksis. “I wanted to liven the place up a bit. Confuse the locals.”

“Idiot!” yelled Valentia. “Everybody knows, you don’t leave labyrinths just laying around. That’s how you get minotaurs!”

“So just clean them up,” suggested Riksis.

“We cannot,” said Tarken. “The song has begun. The game is under way.”

“OK, fine,” said Riksis. “I’ll take care of it.”

How?” asked Valentia, not trusting him at all.

“I’ll let the environment take care of them.” Riksis smiled. “I’ll make them smell delicious.”

Furios nodded. “That would most likely work.”

“Of course it will,” said Riksis. “You won’t even know there were minotaurs at all!”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B-Rad
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Total unplayed games in my collection: 4
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.