Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Any thoughts for the In a Mirror Darkly OP? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Plummer
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Outside of just making a normal crew, which is kind of boring, I'm finding it hard to come up with ideas for a fleet build. I have some vague ideas of using debuffs and mines to force my opponents into the tholian web, but I'm not really sure what the best choices would be.

Any thoughts?

Edit: Here's the Overview sheet: http://wizkids.com/attackwing/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/201...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
Yeah. Jacking with their maneuvers seems like the best way to play the scenario to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
WCB thoughts on the OP
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian B.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If our store is able to get the kit in (was supposed to play tomorrow, but our store claims they were unable to obtain the kit), we were going to run 4 attack ships only. (and captain with skill of 4 and below only)

So keeping that in mind, I was planning on running the Alpha Hunter with its free sensor echo to keep away from the Tholian Web.

Might throw some Detonation Codes ET on one ship too if folks spam mines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Victor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Bring mines and Det Codes.

Bring Lure and other movement controllers, and their counters.

Bring auto-repairs like Prototype and Mirok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Plummer
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Outside of lure and the ferengi card, what other movement controllers are there?

What do people think of this list?
Species 8472 Starship (Species 8472 Bioship) [36]
- Hayes 5 (Captain) [4]
- Cloaked Mines [4]
- Cloaked Mines [4]
Ship Total: 48 SP

Calindra [28]
- Degra 4 (Captain) [3]
- Kiaphet Amman'Sor (Admiral) [3]
- Cloaked Mines [4]
- Particle Beam Weapon [0]
- Bareil Antos [3]
Ship Total: 41 SP

I.K.S. Negh'var [30]
- Kohlar 3 (Captain) [2]
- Cloaked Mines [3]
- Nuclear Warhead [4]
- Worf [2]

Fleet Total: 130 SP

Generated by Utopia
http://kfnexus.github.io/staw-utopia/

It's a bit mine cheese, and I'm not sure I like it in it's current form, but as a place to start...

edit...and I just realized that Utopia did not correctly cost the particle beam weapon, so I'm over 4 points. maybe drop the nuclear Warhead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Johnsen
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dracomax wrote:
Outside of lure and the ferengi card, what other movement controllers are there?

These are the ones that I can think of:

Lure
Thought Maker (a.k.a. the Ferengi card)
Faked Messages
Energy Dissipator (sort of)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian B.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dracomax wrote:

- Hayes 5 (Captain) [4]

Are you running into a lot of Borg? Gul Damar might be better if you expect a lot of enemy mines. (throw in Scan Cycle resource to ignore them even more)

EDIT: although I'm not sure when you are allowed to place the Scan token against Cloaked Mines, so Scan Cycle may be moot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Victor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
From what I remember, placing a scan doesn't reduce mine rolls. It has to be a scan (free) action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Plummer
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Maizrim wrote:
Dracomax wrote:

- Hayes 5 (Captain) [4]

Are you running into a lot of Borg? Gul Damar might be better if you expect a lot of enemy mines. (throw in Scan Cycle resource to ignore them even more)

EDIT: although I'm not sure when you are allowed to place the Scan token against Cloaked Mines, so Scan Cycle may be moot.

Unfortunately, I don't have the 3rd Wing Attack Ship, so Damar is out. Hayes fits neatly in the 4 SP slot I had, and the action gives out an additional attack die, which should make non-mine attacks hit fairly hard, but I am certainly not married to him.

Outside of Det Codes, which I don't have enough SP for without serious reworking, I don't think I have anything that directly lets me do anything about mines, outside of the Bajoran Interceptor 5, which seems like a bad idea in this OP.

I was thinking I could use Mirror Bareil, Ezri, Superior Intellect and/or 7 of 9 to steal the mines from others before they could deploy them, then use them against my opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Victor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'd say use Picard 8 instead of Hayes.

Same cost, but higher skill, and you automatically get a crit against your chosen faction, instead of rolling a die that could miss. Plus an extra defense die against that faction.

It might be worth dropping one minefield from the bioship to slip det codes onto the negh'var.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Plummer
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
wiegeabo wrote:
I'd say use Picard 8 instead of Hayes.

Same cost, but higher skill, and you automatically get a crit against your chosen faction, instead of rolling a die that could miss. Plus an extra defense die against that faction.

It might be worth dropping one minefield from the bioship to slip det codes onto the negh'var.

They actually Aren't. Hayes 5 is 3 points, Picard 8 is 5. And it is irrelevant, because despite my best efforts, I haven't been able to get an ENT E yet.

I suppose I could put CHakotay 5, Worf 5, or Mirror Captain Black on there.

Or I could Drop Worf off the Neghvar, put Soval on the Bioship,and that woul freeup enough points for either Mirror Ezri, the Det Codes, or a Projected Stasis field.

Of course, why pay the extra cost for a captain at all at that point...

How does this revision Look:
I.K.S. Negh'var [30]
- Kohlar 3 (Captain) [2]
- - Detonation Codes [4]
- Cloaked Mines [3]
- Worf [2]

Calindra [28]
- Degra 4 (Captain) [3]
- Kiaphet Amman'Sor (Admiral) [3]
- Cloaked Mines [4]
- Particle Beam Weapon [4]
- Bareil Antos [3]
Ship Total: 45 SP

- Species 8472 1 (Captain) [0]
- Cloaked Mines [4]
- Cloaked Mines [4]
Ship Total: 44 SP

Generated by Utopia
http://kfnexus.github.io/staw-utopia/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Victor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Played Darkly yesterday, went 2-1.

Koranak [26]
- Gul Dukat 7 (Captain) [5]
- Gul Damar [4]
- Control Central [5]
- Alyssa Ogawa [3]
Resource: Fleet Commander [5]
Ship Total: 48 SP

Regent's Flagship [32]
- Khan Singh 7 (Captain) [5]
- - Ceti Eel[4]
- William T. Riker (Admiral) [4]
- Cloaked Mines [3]
- Klingon Navigator [2]
Ship Total: 50 SP

Krayton [22]
- Donatra 6 (Captain) [5]
- Type 8 Phaser Array [3]
- Quark [2]
- - Thought Maker [0]
Ship Total: 32 SP

I was expected to face cards like Lure and Faked Messages, but apparently played the 3 people who didn't bring those. So, instead of having brought Klingon Navigator, I wish I'd brought Tasha Yar. I also had Lure hidden beside Khan until the last minute, then changed it to Ceti Eel. Glad I did as I faced two Enterprise-A's, then a Dorsal Phaser Array in the third round.

Damar was pretty good against cloaked mines. And my cloaked mines worked fairly well.

I had Karr on the Koranak at first, but decided more quality was more important and switched to Dukat. Each round I'd use Control Central for a TL or evade, remove the disable token from it with Alyssa and get me free scan to spend, and get the free BS from Dukat. Then I could spend the scan for two attacks, use the TL on one, and the BS on the other. Turned out to be a brutal combo. (In a pinch, I could use Riker's action to get the scan token if something happened to Alyssa or Control Central).

Thought Maker was great for turning ships towards the Tholians. And the Tholians turned out to be a scary factor. In my first round, my Regent's, because of it's terrible dial, took a total of six or seven damage from the Tholians in two rounds. And they ended up killing it.

Overall, a really interesting and fun event. And the combo of Tholians and planet really made maneuver planning even more important. Even though everyone setup in normal joust at the start, as the Tholains crept closer, things started getting tense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.