Sara Van Landegem
Belgium
Louvain
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a teacher at a highschool in Belgium, and I want to organize a boardgameclub for the kids. So I'm looking for games to add to my list, knowing that the age of my pupils differs from 12 to 16 and the games shouldn't last longer than an hour or so.

This is my list so far:
Carcassonne
Catan
Codenames: Pictures
Friday
Pickomino
Dixit
7 Wonders
Dominion
Stone Age
King of Tokyo
Patchwork
7 Wonders Duel
Machi Koro
Splendor
Qwixx Deluxe
Saboteur
Citadels
Lanterns: The Harvest Festival
Ticket to Ride

So I'm pretty, let's call it 'focused', when I want something so I got a reasonable sum of money to spend. I'm at around 350 euro's at the moment, and I can spend another 300 or so.
What is the list lacking? What should I put in there? I want to have a game for 1 player, for 2 playes and more, a partygame, a more complicated game...all kinds really. I have another huge list with 'maybe's' on it, like Jungle Speed, Spyfall, Roll for the Galaxy, Isle of Skye, Kingdomino, Sushi Go Party, ....but I wouldl like to get your opinions first. Tick off what matches :-)

Thanks you guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Nagels
Belgium
Olen
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not entirely sure if it's a good idea to include solo games like Friday in your idea. I am a big fan of solo games, but some kids in high school really need a push towards a more socially involved level of functioning. Isolating them from the group in order to play mind-challenging games seems a bit contrary to the purpose of creating a club. However, the educational benefits of a solo game can't be denied

Your list so far has a great mix of game types and I can +1 kingdomino and Isle of Skye.

Some other suggestions: For Sale, Boonanza, Survive: Escape From Atlantis, Qwirkle, Tokaido, Alhambra, Blokus, Dice Town, Five Tribes, the wonderfully hilarious Happy Salmon, Honshu, Jaipur, Jamaica, Karibou Camp, Kingdom Builder, Loony Quest, Potion Explosion, Quadropolis, Sheriff of Nottingham, Takenoko, Snow Tails and...of course Pandemic.

These are all games that are very available, offer interaction between pupils, are sometimes challenging (especially Quadropolis) and are mixed between light/medium, silly/kinda serious and they mostly are language independent...So pupils who are less gifted when it comes to English: no problem!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about your kids, but when I started my game club with my students (high school, 14-17) I had a bunch of games brought in and they tended to play one or two at a time. They have settled between Epic the card game, Lost Legends, Vikings on Board, and Legendary.

They don't touch the other games anymore, even though there are plenty available, and enjoy the dynamic of those games. We have between 7 and 15 students each session, plus some bystanders who sometimes join in. I'd recommend holding off on purchasing much extra until you get a feel of what the kids actually want to play. You might even have them research and vote and purchase one or a couple of new games at a time over the course of the club. That way they'll be invested in the games and probably be more inclined to try something new.

Can you hold off on the other 300 for a while? THat way you can see who is showing up, what they are playing, and go from there. One thing that I learned is that the kids tend to have a completely different perspective on gaming than I or my friends did, and they were more interested in enjoying the experience than having a billion choices. Ymmv, of course.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have much to offer other than I don't see any 'word' or spelling type games.

maybe Quiddler, Bananagrams, Word on the Street, or Dexikon ???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris saman
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a game club at a school...you'll definetly want thing that are quick to play and set up as well.

Pandemic: The Cure worked well in my group. also Star Realms and Epic Card Game might work well. grab a deck and go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Austin
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacovis wrote:
I don't know about your kids, but when I started my game club with my students (high school, 14-17) I had a bunch of games brought in and they tended to play one or two at a time. They have settled between Epic the card game, Lost Legends, Vikings on Board, and Legendary.

They don't touch the other games anymore, even though there are plenty available, and enjoy the dynamic of those games. We have between 7 and 15 students each session, plus some bystanders who sometimes join in.

I've got a 30 min. daily portion of the school day where students signed up to come play games and a lot of the same happened there. They tried a bunch of the games I brought, had some fun, but pretty much stick to chess, checkers, and cribbage. The one game that has kept legs for a couple of weeks now is Summoner Wars: Master Set. The other games we've played are Blokus, Koryo, King of the Beasts, Through the Desert, Star Realms, Biblios, Rise!, Forbidden Island, Pixel Tactics 2, Santorini (original abstract version). The ones who chose to play those liked them all with the exception of Pixel Tactics (too much thinky and text for the time frame). I expect if I pushed a little more and drew some people away from bystanding I could get them more interested. I also brought Castellan, Lost Cities, Stratagem, Sentinels of the Multiverse, and Hey That's My Fish but no takers on those yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
Check me out on Instagram: @WisdomForWizards
badge
"Behold, a treasure more valuable than gold."
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to do the opposite of what you're asking and trim down the list you already have.

As Jacovis said:

Quote:
I'd recommend holding off on purchasing much extra until you get a feel of what the kids actually want to play. You might even have them research and vote and purchase one or a couple of new games at a time over the course of the club. That way they'll be invested in the games and probably be more inclined to try something new.

This is great advice. Plus there is nothing wrong with having a surplus in the budget. You can use that money in other creative ways like T-Shirts, Stickers, cheap iPhone cases, etc. Maybe even get some cheap props to "decorate" the club on club days. Here is what I'd cut your list down to based on your suggestions:

Carcassonne
Catan
Codenames: Pictures
7 Wonders
Splendor
Stone Age
Ticket to Ride: Europe
Pandemic
Cosmic Encounter
Patchwork

I'm surprised you didn't include a co-op game. With you involved you can negate the possibility of an alpha gamer by facilitating play. Furthermore, co-ops are great for getting people to work together. Cosmic Encounter is a bigger group game well supported by FFG that is quite the classic. It also has variants that allow for "speed games."

Honestly, unless your club is going to have 80+ people in it, I don't think you need anymore than 10 games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doron Blake
United States
Lakeville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to what these other folks have offered, I would recommend you roll the games out one at a time. Start with just a couple of games, and then bring out a new game every meeting or couple of meetings. That will give them a chance to be excited about and discover something, as well as avoiding choice overload when trying to decide what to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough (will trade by mail)
TN
flag msg tools
badge
I'm definitely on the team that says "buy less to start, see what happens." There's no rush. Spread it out. (And anyway, you probably need to know the rules COLD for any game you introduce.)

I'd add a social deduction/bluffing game. The Resistance: Avalon went over really well with a middle school group I was involved with. Plays 5 - 10 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a good 'classic' for your time-frame would be Backgammon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marie Jo
Canada
Montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! I have a "salon étudiant ludique" in my school with kids 12 to 16. This is the top 10.

1: Bohnanza (they play this game everyday!)
2: Gob-it
3: Machikoro (minivilles)
4. Patchwork
5. Chess
6. Spyfall
7. Célestia
8. Spot-it
9. King of NY
10. Jaipur

We sell hot chocolat and with the money we buy new game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilse
Belgium
Kortenberg
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
Smile!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Unusual Suspects?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Holland on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Kids that age ( I have two boys around same age) just want to have explosive fun,great components, bit of take that, and some light strategy... so I reckon.

2 player
memoir 44
patchwork
Hive
Castles of Burgundy/Bruges (maybe)
Carcassonne
Mr Jack

3/4 player
Survive Escape from Atlantis
King of Tokyo
Lords of Vegas (if you can get away with theme)
Cant stop
Pitch car
Tobago
Terror in Meeple City
Stone age
Catan

5+ plus player
Sheriff of Nottingham
Diamant
Shadows over Camelot
Cosmic Encounter
Resistance
Wink
Telestrations
I'm the boss
Dixit

Cheers
Baz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
TN
flag msg tools
badge
Ilse23 wrote:

They have that at one game group I attend and it has been referred to as "the stereotyping game". At least one person refuses to play it for that reason. I have to admit I'm similarly disinclined, having played it just once.

The idea of judging people solely on appearance doesn't seem like a good message to send to kids (or anyone, really). A little too close to real life. I know, I know, bashing things is hardly any better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crian
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I run a small club at my school for younger students, mostly 11-13 years old.
They really enjoy Zombie Dice. They have also enjoyed Steampunk Rally, although I have to shorten the track to make it finish in time, and some of them struggle with it.
They enjoyed Pandemic as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilse
Belgium
Kortenberg
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
Smile!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkroberts wrote:
Ilse23 wrote:

They have that at one game group I attend and it has been referred to as "the stereotyping game". At least one person refuses to play it for that reason. I have to admit I'm similarly disinclined, having played it just once.

The idea of judging people solely on appearance doesn't seem like a good message to send to kids (or anyone, really). A little too close to real life. I know, I know, bashing things is hardly any better.

That's actually exactly why I would suggest it, so they start thinking about stereotypes and how it shouldn't fit in present time. I think you can learn a lot from this game, but I understand the controversy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliot
United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sushi Go Party! has gone down very well with everyone I've introduced it to - it's quick, easy to learn, and very repayable. Would definitely recommend!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ran a board game class for our homeschool co-op and helped out at a high school games club. In both groups, Werewolf or some variant thereof was by far and away the most popular game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
TN
flag msg tools
badge
Ilse23 wrote:
kirkroberts wrote:
Ilse23 wrote:

That's actually exactly why I would suggest it, so they start thinking about stereotypes and how it shouldn't fit in present time. I think you can learn a lot from this game, but I understand the controversy.

That's some high-level gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kelsith
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Evolution seems like it would be a good fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.