14 Posts

Not Alone» Forums » Rules

Subject: Hunt cards (with Artemia marker) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt C
Poland
flag msg tools
I’ve got some questions about hunt cards (the names of the cards might be a bit off, because I havent’t got the English version of the game).

1. If Artemia marker is placed because of the effect of the played hunt card (not because of the „A” on the game track), does the marker have only the powers listed on the card or also the standard Artemia marker powers? (e.g. „Mutation” card says specifically, that apart form standard powers Artemia marker now does XYZ. „Phobia” card says, that the marker does XYZ – no mention of standard marker powers).
2. While „Domination” makes sense to me (creature can see, to some extent, where the hunted isn’t, and can place his marker accordingly), I don’t understand the function of „Phobia” (the card is resolved in phase 3, by then the creaure already knows the last card played by the hunted, and all of his previously played cards visible on the discard pile. So this card really gives no additional information to the creature. Am I missing something here?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I believe the answer is that until the marker reaches the 'A' on the game track you ONLY get the benefit of the powers listed on the card played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ditto Ditto
Canada
flag msg tools
Matt_C wrote:
I’ve got some questions about hunt cards (the names of the cards might be a bit off, because I havent’t got the English version of the game).

1. If Artemia marker is placed because of the effect of the played hunt card (not because of the „A” on the game track), does the marker have only the powers listed on the card or also the standard Artemia marker powers? (e.g. „Mutation” card says specifically, that apart form standard powers Artemia marker now does XYZ. „Phobia” card says, that the marker does XYZ – no mention of standard marker powers).
2. While „Domination” makes sense to me (creature can see, to some extent, where the hunted isn’t, and can place his marker accordingly), I don’t understand the function of „Phobia” (the card is resolved in phase 3, by then the creaure already knows the last card played by the hunted, and all of his previously played cards visible on the discard pile. So this card really gives no additional information to the creature. Am I missing something here?)

I believe the Artemia token always applies the "standard rules" for Artemia token:

ie: place ineffective, and discard 1 place card.

This will apply any time you land on the Artemia token ..regardless of how it got there ...

unless the hunt card *specifically* calls it out.

What you described above .. I'd say both cases, the artemia token rules apply: no place power, discard 1 place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Espreman Etienne
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
Ditto11 wrote:
Matt_C wrote:

I believe the Artemia token always applies the "standard rules" for Artemia token:

ie: place ineffective, and discard 1 place card.

This will apply any time you land on the Artemia token ..regardless of how it got there ...

unless the hunt card *specifically* calls it out.

What you described above .. I'd say both cases, the artemia token rules apply: no place power, discard 1 place.

That's the right answer !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Really? What exactly? I haven't found answers to both OP's original questions.

Could you rewrite it in a more concise manner?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
Really? What exactly? I haven't found answers to both OP's original questions.

Could you rewrite it in a more concise manner?

what don't you understand?

It's pretty clear what the reply was by Ditto, he said that in both cases that the OP was asking about the "standard" effect of the Artemia Token (no place power, discard 1 place) is in effect.

He also said that the "standard" effect of the Artemia token (no place power, discard 1 place) always happens when a player is in the same location as the token UNLESS the card played by the Creature specifically says that it cancels the standard effect.

Then the Designer quotes Ditto reply and says he's correct, so I don't understand what you don't understand... question 1 is clearly resolved...

There's still question 2 to be addressed because no one tried to reply to that one and if that's what you mean the the way you wrote it didn't make that clear...

So question 1 is resolved... Question 2 still needs a response

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it's not resolved. It's always like that when someone tries to explain, gets sidetracked and doesn't answer the actual question. Let me state it in simple questions, then.

1. If a Hunt card has Artemia token symbol, can you use that marker, even if you're not in the "Artemia" phase yet (on the tracking board)?
2. If a Hunt card has Artemia token symbol, does it have it's standard effect IN ADDITION to what's on the card?
3. If a Hunt card has Artemia token symbol, does it only have the effect written on card, but no longer has the standard effect? (if so, in which cases).

Simple yes/no to each will suffice.

Also, OP, there's no such Hunt card as "Domination" and "Phobia" is resolved in Phase 2, not 3. As such, it narrows your pick to 3 cards (one card played and 2 you did not see).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ditto Ditto
Canada
flag msg tools
rattkin wrote:
No, it's not resolved. It's always like that when someone tries to explain, gets sidetracked and doesn't answer the actual question. Let me state it in simple questions, then.

1. If a Hunt card has Artemia token symbol, can you use that marker, even if you're not in the "Artemia" phase yet (on the tracking board)?

Yes.

Quote:

2. If a Hunt card has Artemia token symbol, does it have it's standard effect IN ADDITION to what's on the card?

Yes .

Quote:

3. If a Hunt card has Artemia token symbol, does it only have the effect written on card, but no longer has the standard effect? (if so, in which cases).

No
It gets both effects. (mainly because I don't believe any Hunt cards specifically cancel out the standard Artemia token effect .. yet)

Quote:

Also, OP, there's no such Hunt card as "Domination" and "Phobia" is resolved in Phase 2, not 3. As such, it narrows your pick to 3 cards (one card played and 2 you did not see).

Long explanation of all answers:

The score track, with the Artemia symbols on it .. just indicate you get to place the Artemia token ... "if you haven't already via another means". (ie you can't get 2 Artemia tokens )

So if you're not on the score track with the Artemia symbol .. obviously you just get the Artemia token due to a Hunt card normally.

If you're on the score track with the Artemia symbol, you can also play a Hunt card with the Artemia symbol.
Regardless, you just get 1 Artemia token to play ... it applies the "standard" rules of the Artemia token PLUS the additional effects (if any) of the Hunt card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:

1- Obviously you ca use it... that's what the Artemia symbol on the card means...
The Artemia symbol on the track allows you to place the Artemia token without having to play a card that allows you to use the token.
Also, this wasn't one of the questions of the OP so no one replied to that

2- As stated above by a Ditto and then confirmed by the Designer, the powers on the cards are in ADDITION to the normal powers of the Artemia token, UNLESS the card specifically states otherwise.
But like I said, the OP asked this question and it was already clearly replied too.

3- This is exactly the same question as number 2 asked in a different way, so it was already responded to before also.

And thanks for the clarification regarding the OP 2nd question... he must have read the card wrong or wasn't recalling it properly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt C
Poland
flag msg tools
Thanks!

I'm completely clear on question 1 :-)

But question 2 still bugs me. I mean "Dominantion" is obvious: I play it in phase two, I point to one hunted, the hunted must discard the cards immediately, I can see the discarded cards, I place monster token accordingly. But "Phobia" is not as straightforward. Yes, I play the card in phase two, which allows me to place the Artemia token (or adds the power to Artemia token) I place the token. But the token does nothing till phase three. The power from the card/token applies only to the player that is hiding on the card, where I placed the Artemia token. And that is revealed in stage three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
The effect on Phobia says nothing about being tied to Artemia token - the ramifications of it were debated couple posts above. Seems you aren't completely clear on question 1 after all. You apply the effect immediately AND you get Artemia token with its standard powers in phase 3.

Also, again, there's no such card as "Domination". Are you, by any chance, translating from some other language? The closest one I could find from your description, would be "Ascendancy".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt C
Poland
flag msg tools
Yes, I'm translating from Polish version.

Since the effects of the hunt cards with target sign are always tied to target token, I assumed that the ones with Artemia sign are always tied to Artemia token. But your view seems to make more sense. This would probably also mean that "Despair" card (?)("Rozpacz" in Polish version) disables the survival cards for all the hunted, not only for those who got hit with Artemia token.

Seems right. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt_C wrote:
But your view seems to make more sense.

That's not my view. That's designer input right there, couple posts above :) Did you read it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.