7 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Terror From Beyond (Dunwich Card Spoiler) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Throwin Rocks
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I pulled the "Terror From Beyond" encounter card while at Miskatonic University.

The card instructs the player to "Choose one of the following cardtypes (asset, event, or skill)," and discard all of that cardtype from your hand.

Here is my question... What if I didn't have any "event" cards in my hand? I only had "asset" and "skill" cards. Since the encounter card says that I get to choose, can I choose "event" cards to throw away-- thereby keeping all my cards?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raoul Schaupp
Germany
Karlsbad
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is exactly how I played the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.D. Flory
United States
New York
flag msg tools
It's perfectly fine to name a type you don't have, but remember that each player must discard all cards of that type, not just you.

And since it has peril, you can't discuss your choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throwin Rocks
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great to hear. Thanks for the quick feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dhoehler wrote:
Here is my question... What if I didn't have any "event" cards in my hand? I only had "asset" and "skill" cards. Since the encounter card says that I get to choose, can I choose "event" cards to throw away-- thereby keeping all my cards?

Yeah you get to do that, but all other players also have to discard.

That's also why it says if this is not the first of that card drawn this turn, you need to pick two categories. Because you could just pick the same category as your partner otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Burns
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XDarkAngelX wrote:
That's also why it says if this is not the first of that card drawn this turn, you need to pick two categories. Because you could just pick the same category as your partner otherwise.

Ah! I hadn't quite realised that.

It'd be a bit mean if meant you had to choose the other two categories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz Małecki
Poland
Oława
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For future reference - I also had some doubts and asked a similar question through the FFG contact form and this is the answer I got from Matt Newman:

Greetings,

You are correct. Because the card does not use “must” in the sentence where it forces you to choose an option, you are not compelled to choose an option that would affect the game state. This is mostly because the card is peril and you don’t know what the other players have in their hands. This does make the card a bit easier to deal with in solo, but sometimes solo investigators need a break, am I right? =D

The second ‘must’ is mostly just there to make it clear that the second part of the effect (each player discarding each card of the chosen cardtype) is not optional.

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.