Hide
21 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: new gamer what games to buy first? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
black dog
msg tools
hi i'm new to board games but after enjoying playing other peoples games many times i thought it was time i should get some of my own and would appreciate recommendation

i have ticket to ride, disc world ankh morpork and code names already

i have enjoyed playing dominion, power grid, manhatten project, terra mystica, istanbul and brewcraft

i was thinking of buying one or more of
dominion, istanbul, splendor, terra mystica, carcassone, agricola, castles of burgendy, puerto rico

all advise/suggestions gratefully received
(my budget is £100-150)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
Check me out on Instagram: @WisdomForWizards
badge
"Behold, a treasure more valuable than gold."
I'd watch some videos on the ones you listed, maybe read the forum reviews or session reports, and go from there.

Honestly the best way to find suggestions is to spend some time on this site reading different forum posts, looking up different games and all the games people relate those too, etc.

This is a hobby subject to your opinion so there is really no right or wrong answer. You need to decide what purpose you have for wanting to start a collection, and who you'll be playing them with. Let that drive your spending.

-------------

The short answer:

You're into what is often labeled as Euro-games. Look some examples of those up whether here or on reddit, and put in the time researching what people discuss.

The even shorter answer:

Buy what you already know you enjoy to round off the beginning of your collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuba W
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider buying a game that your friends don't have.
The games you have mentioned are mostly classics, so you shouldn't fail with them, but maybe you could consider a game that is new and hot to bring something extra to your gaming group.
Within the genre you seem to like, this could be for example: Terraforming Mars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Michael. All of the games you are considering buying are ranked in the top 100 here on BGG, and several are in the top ten. That means they are all highly recommended by the BGG community. Any of those games would be a good addition to a collection.

Don't spend too much money right away, until you have a good sense of what types of games you like and how your game collection will be used. For example, if you always play with the same friends, maybe you don't need to buy games they already have. If you almost always play with two players, pick games that the player poll shows they work well with two players.

Have fun exploring new games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tfoz 15
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Kuba. Purchase something your friends don't already have. Five Tribes and Viticulture Essential Edition come to mind after reading the games you enjoy. In my opinion you can't miss from anything in Uwe Rosenberg's catalogue: Glass Road, Le Havre (although heavier than the games you mentioned), and A Feast for Odin (heavier still).

Tigris & Euphrates and Glory to Rome are slightly older but brilliant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First off welcome to the hobby and welcome to BGG!

Secondly, go as fast as you want in trying new games, but slow down on actual purchases or you will likely end up with a shelf full of dust collectors.

Find other board gamers, play what they have, let your tastes develop, and then as another said, look for games that compliment or fill a hole in other gamer's collections. Lords of Waterdeep is great for instance, but why drop $40 on it when everyone and their pets own a copy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Clark
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrumPhil wrote:

Don't spend too much money right away, until you have a good sense of what types of games you like and how your game collection will be used. For example, if you always play with the same friends, maybe you don't need to buy games they already have. If you almost always play with two players, pick games that the player poll shows they work well with two players.

This is solid advice. As someone who started their own collection recently I can say it is easy to spend too much. Focus on games you think you can get to the table. I have games that I bought months ago that have just never made it to the table, because I don't have enough or the right people to play with.

With that being said here are a few games that I really enjoy. Maybe watch some videos to see if they would be good for you and your group.

Lighter Games
Sushi Go Party
Splendor
Biblios
Lost Cities (2 Player)

Favorites
Imhotep
7 Wonders
Royals
Santorini
5 Tribes
Roll for the Galaxy
Sheriff of Nottingham
Abyss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Food Chain Magnate before it goes back to regular price and kills your entire budget for 1 game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco DeLaurentis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What you should collect should be based on more than what you like. You should also consider who you are playing with.

Are you playing with the same group all the time or different groups?
If you are playing with the same group all the time, don't go jumping on games that someone in the group regularly brings. One of the copies will just collect dust and you would be better off picking up something that will hit the table more often.
If it's different groups, it's okay to have overlap with one group if a different group doesn't have it and will see play in that group.

As far as game suggestions go, based on your list I would put in for Terraforming Mars and Clank!.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Cole
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of good advice from the people above.

One thing I'll throw out there is this: maybe get a variety of games.

Pros: you'll end up with a game for every occasion. Some people don't like deck builders, but love dice game (or vice versa).

Cons: you might end up with some duds if you don't pick the right game, or don't care for that style of game.

From here you can see what your friends are gravitating towards, and flush out that genre. This also lets you entertain different groups of people. Maybe your family likes one style of game, but your friends another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rene Mackenzie
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
tfoz15 wrote:
I agree with Kuba. Purchase something your friends don't already have. Five Tribes and Viticulture Essential Edition come to mind after reading the games you enjoy. In my opinion you can't miss from anything in Uwe Rosenberg's catalogue: Glass Road, Le Havre (although heavier than the games you mentioned), and A Feast for Odin (heavier still).

Tigris & Euphrates and Glory to Rome are slightly older but brilliant.

Considering you like worker placement games, Viticulture is an amazing choice. I think it enters into my top 10, because it feels so light even though it takes around 2 hours or more.

And as most of the users have said, go for the ones normally people don't choose. My friends don't tend to buy Worker placement so I go for those, or small ones (such as Timeline or Resistance). So I recommend going for BGG posts or reviews about popular games.

Or if you have a theme that you like, go look for games of that theme. Vikings, Mafia, Mystery, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jade Knight
United States
Upper Valley
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
angus2000 wrote:
hi i'm new to board games but after enjoying playing other peoples games many times i thought it was time i should get some of my own and would appreciate recommendation

i have ticket to ride, disc world ankh morpork and code names already

i have enjoyed playing dominion, power grid, manhatten project, terra mystica, istanbul and brewcraft

i was thinking of buying one or more of
dominion, istanbul, splendor, terra mystica, carcassone, agricola, castles of burgendy, puerto rico

all advise/suggestions gratefully received
(my budget is £100-150)

Buy one of the games you enjoy. I personally recommend Dominion. With the expansions, it's endlessly replayable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Keeping in mind that I play solo most of the time, these are my favorite 7 games in no particular order:

Scythe
Eldritch Horror
Anachrony
Time Stories
Robinson Crusoe
The Gallerist
Apex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Thompson
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
I lose all the games... It's fun but!
badge
... as in addicted to going fast... not the powder stuff... "ADICT" was the licence plate on my bike...
mbmbmbmbmb
You've done the first bit and asked for some help / advice...

The next thing I'd recommend is checking out the entries here on BGG and reading/watching some reviews here and on YouTube also...

There's some GREAT reviews and reviewers out there! There's a thread with a bunch of suggestions here.

Once you've clarified what you DO like and what you ARE interested in (I know for me this can be HEAPS different to what I think it will be...), start smashing your wallet with purchases!

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert Trobaugh
msg tools
mbmbmb
Reading over your list, here are a few suggestions...

-Concordia
-Five Tribes
-Trajan
-Orleans

If you have a gaming group that you play with regularly, try and avoid buying games they already own in order to maximize. You gotta MinMax!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Greasby
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Walsh Code
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend saving your money and buying app versions of a few games. The apps are easier to learn than their cardboard equivalents, not to mention, much cheaper, and have zero setup time. You can also play against the ai, or in some cases, online. For the price of one board game you can get about 10 apps. After playing them you will know your own tastes much better. In several cases, I enjoyed the app so much I got the boardgame as well. The easy suggestions are: Carcassonne, Pandemic, Castles of Mad King Ludwig, Twilight Struggle, Lanterns, Splendor, Galaxy Trucker, San Juan, Small World, Mr Jack Pocket, and Mysterium. If you get a physical game with the leftover money, I suggest Takenoko.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome to the hobby,

I find all your games mentioned to be great choices, I +1 on Terraforming Mars.

I would also recommend King of Tokyo or Pandemic. Another interesting game that might spark your interest is Castles of Mad King Ludwig or if you are looking for a area control maybe scythe. Burgle Bros. is a quirky little game. Or if you want a group game how about Captain Sonar?

Another party game would be Pit, I know it does not get much love but if treated like filler game and played for like 5 or 6 hands its fun.

But always watch videos before you buy or see if your FLGS has any mentioned by everyone in there library and give them a shot.

But always have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
*FIRST* buy a really, really big shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adamredwoods wrote:
*FIRST* buy a really, really big shelf.

AMEN!!!cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lorrimer
United Kingdom
Harrow on the Hill
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Don't buy any games that people have mentioned but have been too lazy to link to.

There, I said it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Lopez
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
AC0990 wrote:
DrumPhil wrote:

This is solid advice. As someone who started their own collection recently I can say it is easy to spend too much. Focus on games you think you can get to the table. I have games that I bought months ago that have just never made it to the table, because I don't have enough or the right people to play with.

With that being said here are a few games that I really enjoy. Maybe watch some videos to see if they would be good for you and your group.

Lighter Games
Sushi Go Party
Splendor
Biblios
Lost Cities (2 Player)

Favorites
Imhotep
7 Wonders
Royals
Santorini
5 Tribes
Roll for the Galaxy
Sheriff of Nottingham
Abyss

I'm new to collecting myself, and I plan on taking these suggestions you just made

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.