Subject: Team Game: Who controls command phase options? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Schultz
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in a game as the admiral and my general not only had final say in selecting missions but also would decide what missions to oppose and what systems to activate in the command phase. I don't know if a specific person has final say on those command phase decisions like they do for missions.

Jeremy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Hooper
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if this exactly answers your question, but from the Rules Ref, page 6:

Team Game: Players take turns following the initiative number
shown in their leader pool (starting with #1, then #2, etc.).

Team Game: During a player’s turn, he can activate a system
using one of his leaders, reveal a mission that one of his
leaders is assigned to, or pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Schultz
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I think that helps somewhat in that it explains who can choose to activate a system. It doesn't explain who gets to oppose a mission and when, but my guess is each player has the option to oppose from their own leader pool. The general rule being each player has control over their own leaders and can make those decisions when the time comes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
jeremyschultz wrote:
Yeah, I think that helps somewhat in that it explains who can choose to activate a system. It doesn't explain who gets to oppose a mission and when, but my guess is each player has the option to oppose from their own leader pool. The general rule being each player has control over their own leaders and can make those decisions when the time comes.

how much would it break the game if you added a rule that only the admiral could oppose admiral missions and only generals could oppose general missions?

That variant just occurred to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Schultz
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be interested in that variant. It would put more of an "admiral vs admiral, general vs general" spin to opposing missions. It might be confusing in three-player games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that they do answer the original question in the rules:

RRG - Missions Cards wrote:
• Team Game: Only one player from the opposing team can send a leader to the system.

There is only one way to really interpret this. Either Imperial player can send a leader, and they'll probably discuss between them.

It would change the game significantly to add the proposed variant, it would suck if you had leaders left in one pool that could oppose, but none in the one you needed and thus couldn't oppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
In regards to the OP I would say you go in turn order and each player has the option of sending a leader if no leader has been sent so far.

This way no player has control over another player's leader unless they send a leader first, thus keeping their partner from sending a leader.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not just let the players communicate to discuss which they send?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Schultz
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That would make a lot of sense, but some players don't communicate so well. In my game, we'd make our plans in the assignment phase and reserve some leaders to activate nearby systems, but then in the command phase my partner would oppose missions and use up those leaders. He probably used my leaders to do this at one point, which is against the team rules.

I suppose the problem isn't a lack of communication but a lack of sticking to the game plan.

Jeremy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:

This is assumed. But at the end of the day, when there is a dissagreement you need a system in place to determine who actually gets to decide what to do when.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David Umstattd wrote:
Clipper wrote:

This is assumed. But at the end of the day, when there is a dissagreement you need a system in place to determine who actually gets to decide what to do when.

Ah, it didn't sound that way to me. I guess I didn't assume it.

Preface your idea with: "Players on the team discuss which leader they will send to oppose, if any. If they cannot decide then..." and you have a fine point that i would not argue with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
David Umstattd wrote:
Clipper wrote:

Ah, it didn't sound that way to me. I guess I didn't assume it.

Preface your idea with: "Players on the team discuss which leader they will send to oppose, if any. If they cannot decide then..." and you have a fine point that i would not argue with.

Obviously if the players agree then there's no question on who decides what to do. It's if there's an argument and both players want to send different leaders to oppose that the OP problem would arise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.