Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kamil M.
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a disclaimer - this is not a complaint. I love the game and all of it's aspects, and that's why I care about finding ways of enchancing the experience even more. If you do read on please keep this in mind : )

So...Scythe - a game, that really took the idea of a 'game upgrade kit' to the next level: beautiful metal coins, gigantic board extension, realistic resources - all just to compliment an already great game. The top notch world design, 3d mechs and faction leader models.....yeaaaahh, about those...
As is - the character models are beautiful and detailed, the game itself is interesting and engaging, yet something seems off - and this something has to do with sightings like: a 20 ft tall pet wolf or: a uniformed lady twice the height of a tunnel entrance or: a grown man having a staring contest with a giant robot. It might sound nitpicky (as the scale in the game if not perfect by all means), but THIS is the detail that just breaks the immersion for me in a major way. The miniature is supposed to represent yourself as the faction leader - your avatar in the Scythe world. But it just doesn't work that way.

To get to the point: wouldn't it be possible for Stonemaier Games to release a character upgrade pack with the character models scaled down by a reasonable amount let's say approx. 50-70%?
From a technical standpoint (as far as I'm aware) the molds are stored as a digital 3d model, so scaling them down shouldn't be an issue either.

I'm interested in what are you thoughts and opinions. I think it would benefit those who feel as I do and for the rest - as an optional upgrade pack - it wouldn't alter the experience.

As the saying goes - perfection lies in the details.

So - what do YOU think?

/K.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cody
United States
Columbus
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds fun actually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
You want to make the characters smaller?

I would bet that one would NOT sell well. Certainly, not worth it for the company to produce.

Now making an upgrade of everything else bigger that might be possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Yates
United States
Olsburg
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be fine with it being offered as an option, but it's nothing that I need. Realistically, if you wanted things to scale, the entire map would need to be altered and you would be playing out the game in someone's cattle pasture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest, I don't think enough people would buy them to make it worth Stonemaier's time. I love the detail in the characters and their size doesn't break my immersion any more than using cylinders to show recruit actions.

Of course, more options is always better...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Weaver
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to agree with most of the other responses. While I see where the idea is coming from and its a novel idea I'm not sure its for me. The mini's are representations of the units. I definitely wouldn't want the characters to be smaller. Maybe make the mechs a little larger. That might work well with the board extension.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Keep in mind that it may not be as simple as just scaling them down. The details are likely taking into account the manufacturing tolerances and trying to squeeze as much fine detail as that size allows. Such details would need to be altered or removed in order to tool them at half-size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klure Junior
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
Essssssss Teeeeee EYE!
badge
My Dog Abi
mbmbmbmbmb
I would actually suggest this go the other direction, Make the Mechs bigger and have a giant roll out map.....

But honestly the size variance in way way takes me out of the game. Very few if any games with Miniatures are perfectly scaled to other units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Put in a request for it: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScfeu-vkPKywrXOcVkr...

If enough people ask, they will make it, I am sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Rich
United States
Corsicana
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be interested, but I did just finish painting all of the current ones and that would be a downside for me to start over smaller. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamil M.
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
Put in a request for it: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScfeu-vkPKywrXOcVkr...

If enough people ask, they will make it, I am sure.

Thanks - wasn't aware this existed. I've added the idea as a suggestion - now we wait

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeric Bilo
United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Why stop there?
Would anyone like to see giant Scythe akin to giant Jenga or Giant Rhino Hero?
3D hexes would be good. Why not full blown minis for farmers and recruits. Why don't we have models for recruits?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.