Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenneth Lewandowski
United States
St. Charles
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone I show the game to loves it! Great theme.

I am not totally clear and want to be sure we are doing things right....

When the games ends, remaining ships at sea do come in. With each move in, are more whales put out or not? I have heard differing opinions on this and want to be clear.

We are playing it as no new whales. (the ship furthest out can pick up the one left from the last draw but that is it.).

BTW. After 3 plays...scores tend to be 15-30 range...I like to let people know what they are shooting for...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Stair
United States
Macon Area
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you do not pull more whales.
once the game ends no more whaling and the first ship that lands must pay for the whales or sell them off then the next ship does the same thing and so on till all ships are back

this evens things out say you dont want to pay for a 2vp whale you get 1/2 the money from the bank and then it goes to the next player to see if they want it and so one you would then beable to buy it if no other player wanted to or couldnt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
badge
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
mbmbmbmbmb
there's no extra whaling phases it's just that ships that are out all return to port so you have an opportunity to get every whale you acquired. i'm a bit confused by your clarification in parentheses though.

Quote:

(the ship furthest out can pick up the one left from the last draw but that is it.).

what do you mean? all that happens in the last round is a whaling phase followed by all ships returning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dstair2002 wrote:
you do not pull more whales.
once the game ends no more whaling and the first ship that lands must pay for the whales or sell them off then the next ship does the same thing and so on till all ships are back

this evens things out say you dont want to pay for a 2vp whale you get 1/2 the money from the bank and then it goes to the next player to see if they want it and so one you would then beable to buy it if no other player wanted to or couldnt

You might be using "you" in the general sense, but in case you're referring to the same player, note that you can't buy back a whale you sell if nobody else wants it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colinmarsh wrote:
there's no extra whaling phases it's just that ships that are out all return to port so you have an opportunity to get every whale you acquired. i'm a bit confused by your clarification in parentheses though.

Quote:

(the ship furthest out can pick up the one left from the last draw but that is it.).

what do you mean? all that happens in the last round is a whaling phase followed by all ships returning.

By "last round" do you mean the round after the 12th round? If so there's no whaling phase--only movement phase during which all ships return. Might have just been a terminology slip-up there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alea jacta est
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 12 rounds. The 12th round is the last round and everything happens as normal. Then - after the 12th round there is a separate movement phase.

Movement phases and whaling phases are two different phases. This end-game-specific mechanic only involves moving the ships back in to port. You do not have any whaling phases. In fact you could probably say that there isn't a movement phase and that all the ships return with their whales. They do so in the order they were out at sea (furthestmost ship returns last). This matters as the money totals for players changes with each whale sold/bought.

For simplicity sake, all ships return to port in their respective order (no matter how far out they were at the end of the 12th round). As each ship returns the owner of the ship buys/sells any whales remaining on those ships. Once the ships have returned and all whales have been bought/sold - then you end the game and tally the points.

I hope I articulated that well enough. The instructions regarding this final end-game step are actually pretty good, though it's not very intuitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maddest Hatter wrote:
In fact you could probably say that there isn't a movement phase and that all the ships return with their whales. They do so in the order they were out at sea (furthestmost ship returns last).

That's it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Lewandowski
United States
St. Charles
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One token remains out from the previous pull. I thought the rules implied that this token could be chosen by the furthest ship out, if it is a whale token.

Thanks for the other clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.