Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arrrh Those discussions we used to have on Shuttles are far back in the past, mostly before the last few expansions were done. Now that GWEK has noted that there will in fact be further expansions after Crime and Punishment, although not for a while, I started thinking about how Shuttles, if provided, could be used in the game we're playing today. Here are a few thoughts--perhaps you have some more!

In general, a shuttle is expensive, and might even take up an Upgrade Slot. It can be used to work around some of the game limitations.

1. Planet Side: Jobs A Shuttle allows you to regroup your crew and gear working a job with that left on your Firefly/Mother Ship, after a Misbehave is revealed, but before it goes into effect.

2. In Space: Decoy During immanent contact with an Alliance Ship, Reaver, or a rival ship attempting Piracy, a Shuttle may be expended to cancel the action. No crew is necessary for the Shuttle (its on remote control).

3. Planet Side: Second Work Crew A separate work crew may be sent out in a shuttle to allow a player to work two jobs in the same turn. This takes up both turn actions as Work Actions.

4. Planet Side: Make Work If crewed with at least two crew, a Shuttle allows you to take a free (additional) Make Work action in a Planetary sector. You can make it a third action, and/or a Second Make Work action this turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the Star Wars Rebels series gives a very good batch of examples of how a shuttle can be used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds interesting. I'd definitely say eat an Upgrade slot and be something like $1k+

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salty
msg tools
Personally, I've been imagining it as giving you a "range" to your actions, but with a limitation. Shuttles would have a range of 1-3, allowing you to take actions as if you were that many spaces away.

For example, you might be able to work a job, but since there's "four to a shuttle," you won't be able to bring your full crew. There'd be a limit to the amount of goods you could bring back, too, and maybe the limit would go down if you brought more crew.

For buy actions, you'd be similarly limited in how much you could bring back, such as maybe only being able to buy one item, or not being able to draw new cards off the top, or only being able to consider the first one off the top, like the Cortex Uplink.

For deal actions, I can't really imagine a limit to getting jobs, but storage space would limit how much cargo/contraband you could bring to sell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There have been a lot of custom shuttles through the years, but I know someone fairly recently did a take where there are two different versions - a "quarters" shuttle (like Inara's) and a "working" shuttle (like the other one). I think there may even have been discussion of an "assault" shuttle (a la Rebels or Dark Matter).

Was it Dave? Bill? I know it wasn't me, although I participated in the conversation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rowley
United Kingdom
Stafford
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This one was my latest take:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I include a basic shuttle with Jupiter 2 ship. But it's for a special reason having to due with the way the ship operates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, as usual, there are two main considerations: mechanical and thematic.

Mechanically, there can be a range or shuttles with different properties. If the basic rules for shuttles are done on a card, like Gwek's rules cards, then it leaves space on the item card for the specifics and any special abilities.

Working off Jon and Salty's posts...
SHUTTLE RULES wrote:

Once per Turn, you may spend 1 Fuel to use a Shuttle.

WORK - You may use a Work action to Work a job within the Range of your Shuttle. The number of Crew and Goods tokens you assign are limited by the Crew and Hold values of the Shuttle.

A Shuttle may be used between Misbehave cards to assign Crew previously returned to the Ship back to a Job in progress. The number of Crew returned is limited by the Crew values of the Shuttle.

BUY - You may use a Buy action to consider 2 and buy 1 from a Supply Deck within the Range of your Shuttle. You may take Shore Leave within the Range of the Shuttle. The number of Crew you grant Shore Leave is limited by the Crew value of the Shuttle.

DEAL - You may use a Deal action to Deal with a contact within the Range of your Shuttle. The number of Cargo/Contraband tokens you assign are limited by the Hold value of the Shuttle.

I think these things have to start at at least $2,000. Figure an "Official Lookin' Vehicle is $1,400, and is just a TRANSPORT.

Range should be 1, maybe 2 tops.

Crew will vary by type, but we can start with the Firefly shuttles with a Crew of 4.

Hold is probably 2 max. It could be argued that Crew and Goods should displace each other - I've made the argument myself, but I think in the interest of KISS, it's better to leave them separate just like on a Ship.

Should probably have the TRANSPORT keyword. Could have skill icons as part of the individualization process. For example, Inara's Shuttle would have [TALK]. An attack shuttle would have [FIGHT] and FIREARM (or EXPLOSIVES).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spend a Fuel to count as TRANSPORT.

I'm dubious about the Shore Leave option, because one of the balancing elements there is that you must pay for your entire crew to have Shore Leave – not just the Disgruntled ones. Can you send your lone Disgruntled Moral crew off in a Shuttle for Shore Leave while leaving everyone else on the ship? 1 Fuel + $100 is a much better deal than $600.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As was I, but I figured it was a starting place, and you did pay over 2K for the thing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.