20 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: similar to Nations but quicker rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi, my wife and I really enjoy Nations. however, the game was lasting over 2 hrs which is too long for us, I ended up selling it as it didn't hit the table due to the length of the game. I'm just wondering if there's other games out there with a similar feel to it? we have nations the dice game which we do enjoy. I want something a bit more towards the complexity of Nations that doesn't go over the 90 minute mark. thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Stevieram wrote:
Hi, my wife and I really enjoy Nations. however, the game was lasting over 2 hrs which is too long for us, I ended up selling it as it didn't hit the table due to the length of the game. I'm just wondering if there's other games out there with a similar feel to it? we have nations the dice game which we do enjoy. I want something a bit more towards the complexity of Nations that doesn't go over the 90 minute mark. thanks

I'd be curious about this as well -- I feel like I'm always looking for the 'ideal' civilization building game that comes in at under 2 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric T
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just watched a Rahdo video on Tribes which is a precursor to Nations. I believe he mentioned the designer worked on Nations as well.

Rahdo says that Nations is a top 10 for him and at the end of the Final Thoughts video said that a strength of the game is quick play.

It's a Kickstarter and not really my style of game but thought I would forward the info.

I am also always looking for games that are 90 minutes or less. I am sure there are current games that meet your request. I am sure the BGG community will provide some good suggestions.

Happy Gaming

Edit. Guess a link would be helpful.

https://boardgamegeek.com/video/129854

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks, I have just come across that myself. It does look like something we'd enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think Nations has a Dice version of it. No? which is probably quicker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Perhaps a "Roll for the Galaxy" type game might give you the same "Nation" building without the time commitment. Roll should be considerably shorter play time for you and your wife.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Golden Ages ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Garnett
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Suggest you have a look at Deus
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/162082/deus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lassberg
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll for the Galaxy or Race for the Galaxy are both great options. You may hear people complain of the iconography, but it's not bad at all. After a game or two, you'll have it down. These are both sci-fi civilization games focusing around tableau building. One is dice based (Roll) and the other is card based (Race). My wife and I can crank both games in under an hour (Race sometimes considerably so).

Imperial Settlers is also top notch and more "traditionally" civilization feeling. Beautiful artwork, and plays very quick too (no more than an hour with 2 people). It can be a BIT cutthroat at times if you decide to play very aggressively, but it's not too bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbrook29 wrote:

It does, but its long out of print. The publisher has been saying an expansion is coming along with a reprint, but it's been over a year and there still isn't a release date.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AngryJoe wrote:
Imperial Settlers is also top notch and more "traditionally" civilization feeling. Beautiful artwork, and plays very quick too (no more than an hour with 2 people). It can be a BIT cutthroat at times if you decide to play very aggressively, but it's not too bad.

+1 to Imperial Settlers. It's a very good, fast-playing game of cig building that plays well at all player counts (even solo!). It has the added bonus of still receiving new content too, as Portal Games is still making expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone has already mentioned, The Golden Ages condenses the whole civilisation game into around 90 minutes, without really losing too much.

Historia also does a decent job, albeit an abstracted one. The game time tends to scale with the number of players; however, with two or three, you should get it played in under an hour.

Finally, you could consider Innovation; this is more about building the technologies than anything else, but it's probably about as close as you're going to get for a card game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wolkey
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Nations last night for the first time. What an awesome game. My two buddies want to play it again next week. We only used the beginner cards, but next time we're going to add in the level 2 cards (also has level 3 cards) and use the nation's B sides for more variety.

Luckily, I bought it with the Dynasties expansion, so we have lots of D sides and other nations to choose from too.

We were supposed to play Pandemic Legacy, but one friend couldn't make it. So, I searched BGG for 'Best with 3 Players' and Nations was one of them on the list. Boy, were they correct!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
cbrook29 wrote:

It does, but its long out of print. The publisher has been saying an expansion is coming along with a reprint, but it's been over a year and there still isn't a release date.

This would have been my suggestion -- my friend owns it and I have played it, but it's prohibitive to buy it right now. Hope they reprint, it's a good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric T
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwill2 wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:
cbrook29 wrote:

This would have been my suggestion -- my friend owns it and I have played it, but it's prohibitive to buy it right now. Hope they reprint, it's a good game.

A reprint with an expansion is due June of this year according to the publisher. The expansion is complete but there was an issue with the dice for the reprint of the base game.

Avoid the temptation to pay idiot scalper prices and you'll be rewarded with a fatter wallet and a great game :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
gradman2k3 wrote:
Kwill2 wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:
cbrook29 wrote:

A reprint with an expansion is due June of this year according to the publisher. The expansion is complete but there was an issue with the dice for the reprint of the base game.

Avoid the temptation to pay idiot scalper prices and you'll be rewarded with a fatter wallet and a great game :-)

That's what I'm holding out for!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aaj94 wrote:
gradman2k3 wrote:
Kwill2 wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:
cbrook29 wrote:

That's what I'm holding out for!

The OP already *owns* Nations The Dice Game. It's in the first post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Strait
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Note that Nations is already (in many ways) a stripped-down version of Through the Ages, and there's not ultimately much left to sand down or get rid of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone, I do own nations the dice game, which we enjoy. I was looking for something in between (regarding length and depth) really, as much as we enjoy nations the dice game it's fairly light.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.