United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Duels squared as in Epic Duels and Duel of Ages ☺

since Tom Vasel has thoroughly covered all of the Duel of Ages and has a session report on Star Wars Epic Duels I am hoping for his input along with nayone else familiar with them as i own both but never played either or been able to try the following experiments

i traded for DOA set 1 and 3 for the terrain components and i love exploration games - i am excited to try the game it self

Epic Duels comes with 31 total painted miniatures that fit on the hex spaces of DOA (solving the cardboard characters that lay flat on the terrain)and solve the problem of black team versus white team designation since the baddies have black based figures and the goodies have white

Epic Duels also brings components for the lacking health tracking in DOA - as it has cards for all characters and hit tokens

Using Epic Duels combat, movement, and card drawing mechanics could be a short cut to learning the terrain side of the DOA strategy and maybe a shorter game or just use the figures only and stick to DOA combat and movement

or ignore all DOA and just use the terrain components as landscape for several teams of Epic Duels?

All i have is questions and no experience and would love to hear some ideas or even session reports if anyone plays with mixing combat or just components into DOA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:(Duels)2 and calling Tom Vasel
treece keenes (#26733),

I own both games so I'll chime in.

I wouldn't mix the rule systems. There's just no point to it. If DOA is too much to absorb at once, just cut back on the rules and go with that.

You could use the pieces if you like, but you add some complication too. Is Darth Maul the Bladed Terror? Is Princess Leia representing Ace Cannon? I'd rather just use the DOA pieces. We've never had much trouble with them.

Don't need the Epic Duels health markers. This is a complaint I have NEVER understood. DOA comes with a zillion little markers and you only need a handful of them when you play. Just flip the others onto their blank side and you have health markers. Simple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin long
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump (#26929),
I pursue this because i see a lot written, that asks for these solutions and this game deserves anything it can use to make it more accessible to the RPG data aversive, cardboard character hating, "too many rules" etc.

so i will post in the next reply a tentative rule set to combine them and maybe get some people to test it out if they have possible players that are turned off by DOA (which is by the way how i got my copy, as trade from a fellow geek who couldn't get his fellow gamers to play it)

Trump - i admire that you love DOA just as it is (by the look of your other replies) - i completely agree in the sense that a game that isn't broken doesn't need fixing - thanks for loving the game enough to reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin long
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[Duels]2

This alternate rule set was made in the pursuit of all that is good about both Duel of Age’s and Star Wars Epic Duel’s components and simplicity. This is a great way to hook possible players that are turned off by the use of cardboard characters and role-play elements. [Duels]2 preserves DOA strategy with the simplest rules to hook players on the first game! This player aid is also designed to be just comprehensive enough for teaching the game and as simple reference. To accomplish all these objectives a few DOA rules are changed for simplicity, fun, and “why can’t I drop equipment?” type whines

Prep
·Setup DOA terrain and Guardian tokens – refer to DOA setup

·Shuffle and set out DOA equipment cards only

·Choose team black or team white - each player takes 3 Epic Duels team charts, matching characters and cards - place a hit marker on each character’s blue circle – total number of character’s must be the same for each team

·Remove all cards with lower white fields from the ED decks and separate each set into the 2 different character’s and shuffle for drawing piles – each player draws 2 cards per character (so sets with 3 characters draw 6 total)

·Refer to DOA rules for use of buildings, barriers, and movement costs

Winning
·5 possible victory points within the player agreed time limit

·One point for having the closest Guardian to a Labyrinth entrance

·One point for having the most kills

·Ties are possible if the Guardians are equally advanced in 1 or 3 Labyrinths – continue until score changes

Turns
·At the beginning of each turn the player puts 2 un-deployed characters, of their choice, into play by making dismissal rolls (see “Dismissal”)

·On a player’s turn move each character if desired up to 6 movement points

·Characters can pass through a friendly character’s space - but can’t stop on any occupied space

·Before, during, after a character’s movement, the player may either use a combat card (see “Combat”) or draw one from that character’s card set

·Drawn cards of a set that has 2 identical character’s will share drawn cards

·When a drawing stack is depleted then turn over discard stack and shuffle

Combat
·On a player’s turn they may choose to attack when characters are in an adjacent space (melee) or afar by using a ranged weapon (see “Ranged Combat”)

·In melee or ranged combat the attacker lays a card of that character face down until defender lays a card of the target character down

·Resolve attacker’s “attack” value against defender’s “defend” value – if attacker’s value is higher, then move the defender’s health mark down that difference

·Discard both cards to their own set’s discard stacks

·Character is removed from game when hit token reaches red circle - a marker is put in place for any equipment cards – place cards half under nearest terrain edge – first character (either black or white) there gets the equipment (up to the 4 limit)

Ranged Combat
·Only possible if a ranged character has a ranged equipment card – the durability of the weapon is on the lower left side – P = permanent; K = loss after a kill; 1 = usable once

·Use the range on the equipment card and the attack value on the character card

·On another player’s turn, if a character is moving in the range of a character’s ranged weapon, then the character gets one shot per the opponent’s turn

·LOS determined from center of hex spaces – refer to DOA for barriers

Labyrinths
·Only one entrance to any labyrinth – ignore labyrinth towers in [Duels]2

·Can Challenge Guardian of your team color, by being in adjacent space and rolling 2 dice – add the results – 11 or 12 banish; 8,9, or 10 dismiss; 7 dismiss, draw card; 4,5, or 6 dismiss, draw equipment card, move Guardian forward; 2 or 3 dismiss, move Guardian forward, draw 2 equipment cards, move guardian forward (see “Dismissal and Banishment”)

·If the guardian has yet to move from the Labyrinth eye then a roll of 8 or above results in a card and banishment

·If the roll allows you to move the guardian then you move it a space closer to the entrance of the Labyrinth (see “Winning”)

Equipment Cards
·Limit of 4 equipment cards per character

·Reveal and use equipment cards at any time! (defensively or offensively)

·Once revealed the equipment card stays revealed

·May dump equipment on any hex space at any time by leaving marker and putting card(s) half under nearest edge of terrain

·Can also transfer equipment by having both characters in adjacent space or by occupying the space with the equipment

Dismissal and Banishment
·Dismissal is rolling a die to choose which unoccupied dome of that value the character is placed on - in Banishment the opponent rolls and chooses

·Character must leave dome immediately (normally barriers, not buildings) if the character has any unused movement points

Game Tips
·Remember 4 of the 5 possible victory points are from furthest advancement of the Guardians in the Labyrinths

·Control of Labyrinth areas is important but control of dome areas may be more important for ambushes after dismissal/banishment

·[Duels]2 is more than just combat! Area control and approaches are also key - This is why the time limit – this adaptation of the 2 games does encourage more combat than DOA however, as the character’s have many more hit points and may encourage more bold moves and testing of other player’s areas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin long
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
more tentative rule set - restrict amount of armor and melee value for possible DE deck imbalance and so that more situational coverage isn't neccessary such as illegal wearing of 2 helmets etc.

Equipment Cards
All armor cards add 1 to defense - no more than 1 can be used

melee equipment cards add 1 to melee attack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin long
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
after play testing: it is ridiculous the number of card piles laying around - just one set, if the Epic Duel cards are seperated by characters within the set, produces 6 piles per set - so will revert back to Epic Duels and delete the preparation step where i was seperating the characters - the bonus is that the opposing player can't tell how many cards are minor versus major character and each player also has to add the resource management into their card usage - ex. if they keep drawing minor character cards then they better keep the major character out of harms way until rectified...

also will delete the preparation step of taking the power combat and special combat cards out of the decks - the decks were just to unbalanced even with 6-9 characters on each team - stupid on my part not to look at that closer - so some original design goal to simplify is being lost and now the combo of games is balanced a little more toward the Epic Duel play

i will update the following changes to a fresh revised rule set within the week - i realize i am talking to my self - but still hoping for input and if nothing else then the info will be there 10 years from now, if someone else is fascinated by the idea of advantageous combo of the components and simplicity of these 2 games ☺

change to rule set:
delete the 4th "preparation" step and replace with "shuffle the ED sets separately for drawing stacks"

add to the 2nd "combat" step " - if the ED card allows the character to move opponent characters "anywhere", then you may move them up to 8 spaces from their hex space

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.