15 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Rules

Subject: Who gets the ambush? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
We had a Hunt Event that had us pick a spot on the hunt track: if the battle happens on that space, then we ambush the monster.

We then had another hunt event that had the monster ambush us on that very space.

Who gets the ambush?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
From the KDM FAQ: "What happens if the monster ambushes the survivors, but the Dead Monster terrain is on the showdown board?
Effectively, the two rules cancel each other out. The monster skips its first turn and the survivors skip their first turn"

The function remains the same, despite the terrain. If both parties of the hunt ambush one-another, they both skip their first turns and the showdown begins like any normal fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
Do round effects from other hunt events (Hunt Event #52 Madflies) still take effect on a "first round" in which no one has any turns?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Death Jester
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes it is still a round

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lee miller
msg tools
mb
How do you guys feel about drawing dead monster verse nemesis encounters? Yes it would be awesome to get to ambush them, but thematically, I don't think it should work that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
KDM
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As nemesis monsters have no hunt board and you go straight to showdown nemesis + dead monster can actually never happen. And I am pretty sure nemesis is balanced around that never happening, so it does not make sense both gameplay wise and thematically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dead monster is a terrain tile, not a hunt event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Death Jester
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Most Nemesis encounters the survivors go first anyway. The dead monster tile would just allow you to start anywhere on the showdown board.

Sidenote - When you have all the expansions shuffled in, Dead Monster and Bug Patch come up so rarely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Baby don't hurt me
badge
Sleepy Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
If you ambush on top of going first, don't you get the ambush round (monster does not act), the "survivors go first" round (monster does not act) and finally a normal monster/survivors round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Death Jester
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A single Round is ALWAYS Monster than Survivors. M/S = 1 round.

If the survivors go first or Ambush, the monster skips his action on the first round.

If the survivors are Ambushed, the monster goes first as normal, survivors skip their turn. New round - monster goes first followed by the survivors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Baby don't hurt me
badge
Sleepy Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
DeathJester23 wrote:
A single Round is ALWAYS Monster than Survivors. M/S = 1 round.

Yup. I don't know how this can be spelled to avoid someone writing that line

That's what I wrote, I thought that writing in parentheses that I considered the monster in each round would be enough

Oh well, it is good to specify, I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
t3clis wrote:
If you ambush on top of going first, don't you get the ambush round (monster does not act), the "survivors go first" round (monster does not act) and finally a normal monster/survivors round?

I don't think so. Ambush is an effect on the first round of the showdown, as is the Dead Monster terrain. You couldn't shift a benefit into the second round of combat.

Unless it's a lion with Ground Fighting in play, in which case every round is an ambush round until Ground Fighting goes away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Baby don't hurt me
badge
Sleepy Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
In the case of ground fighting, please note that the monster acts, it's just that it does not draw AI. The persistent injury that makes it roll at start of turn, for example, is still applied. It's a bit like a Swallowed Whole survivor, or a survivor in the Dung Ball of the DBK - they still have their turn, even if they can't do anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
t3clis wrote:
In the case of ground fighting, please note that the monster acts, it's just that it does not draw AI. The persistent injury that makes it roll at start of turn, for example, is still applied. It's a bit like a Swallowed Whole survivor, or a survivor in the Dung Ball of the DBK - they still have their turn, even if they can't do anything.

...sigh. Yes, the lion still goes, and does nothing and moves nowhere unless a special or trait card is in play and takes effect. So, what actually happens is that the monster stays in place and the survivors do whatever they want for as long as they want until they decide to actually hit the lion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Baby don't hurt me
badge
Sleepy Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
IASeldon wrote:
t3clis wrote:

...sigh. Yes, the lion still goes, and does nothing and moves nowhere unless a special or trait card is in play and takes effect. So, what actually happens is that the monster stays in place and the survivors do whatever they want for as long as they want until they decide to actually hit the lion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.