Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick George
United States
Layton
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, this is the one leader that I don't quite understand what his ability is. There's the circle for taking a free action, and then something happens with a worker...

Rulebook says:
Quote:
He may place one of his active Workers on a Worker slot on his Player board, and take an Action there

does this just mean that you can take a worker that already did something this round, and have them take another action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Duck
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
turnipsaregreat wrote:

does this just mean that you can take a worker that already did something this round, and have them take another action?

No, it allows you to perform a worker action on your board as a free action, and then still do a regular action.

Basically, it allows you to perform two worker actions during one turn (the first having to be on your board).

It can be great for example to wake up all your guys with one worker and then go the the capital to take some crucial spot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
turnipsaregreat wrote:
Okay, this is the one leader that I don't quite understand what his ability is. There's the circle for taking a free action, and then something happens with a worker...

Rulebook says:
Quote:
He may place one of his active Workers on a Worker slot on his Player board, and take an Action there

No, active workers are the ones in your Active column. Once a worker has been placed on a spot it's Busy, and when retrieved it will become Tired (unless the action allowed it to be motivated, in which case it returns to the Active column).

The point of the Patriach is that by placing his Free Action marker you get to effectively take a Worker Action without having yet used your Worker Action for the round. I.e. effectiively you get two turns in a row, with the limitation that the first one has to be without using an Exosuit. It's the same as the Exocrawler superproject (which has a slightly more detailed explanation in the rules) except that requires the first move to be with an Exosuit placement, instead of without.

Does that clear it up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick George
United States
Layton
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone. I get it now, although it wasn't clear to me from the original wording.

So I put my path marker circle to cover the free action, and then I use one of my workers to activate a slot somewhere on my home board. This doesn't count as a regular worker action, so I can still take one of those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
turnipsaregreat wrote:
Thanks everyone. I get it now, although it wasn't clear to me from the original wording.

So I put my path marker circle to cover the free action, and then I use one of my workers to activate a slot somewhere on my home board. This doesn't count as a regular worker action, so I can still take one of those.

Yup. Newbies often ask "what is that good for"

Point out:
- supplying before taking action
- using power plant before constructing super project
- using a grey/blue building to take water or resource which you then spend on your main action
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We were confused by this as well and hadn't fully understood the active/busy/tired states. We played that a non tired worker could be reused. Maybe too powerful once you have got the hang of the game but the player using it came third or forth so it didn't impact our game too much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to me that most of the time, the advantage of Patriarch Haulani would be pretty subtle. He doesn't get you free resources or discounted workers, where the benefit is pretty obvious.

Sometimes, Haulani's ability might not provide any benefit at all. For example, supplying as a free action before taking another action won't actually provide you a benefit unless that free action means that later in the round, you're able to take a capital action and pay 1 less water than you otherwise would have if you hadn't used the free action. Essentially, you "jump ahead" in the turn order and save a water. This is the subtle benefit to which I referred.

On the other hand, there's a chance that you and another player are racing to evacuate, or to build the same super project, and your free action allows you to do whatever you need to accomplish right before you swoop in ahead and evacuate/build that super project. In those cases, of course, the benefit of Haulani could be large. But I suspect the subtle "save a water here and there" benefit is more common.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.