Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Torfi Asgeirsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Triple Agent is a social deduction game for 5-9 players that uses a smart phone as its primary component. It plays a bit like One Night Ultimate Werewolf but the smart phone both simplifies set up and let's us create mechanics that would be impossible in a physical game. The phone is placed on the table between players and prompts players to pick it up in order to reveal secret information or make decisions as necessary. Even though this is a digital game the phone is really just the moderator, just like in any good social deduction game you spend most of your time in conversation with other players, not interacting with the phone.

Premise

Players are placed in the role of agents working for a fictional Cold-War era intelligence agency that has been infiltrated by double agents. Each player gets a randomly chosen event that can reveal information or gives them a choice to make. At the end of the game they vote to imprison one player, if a double agent is imprisoned, the agency wins, otherwise the double agents do.

Game Structure

A game of Triple Agent starts by writing each player's name into the registration screen.

Once players are registered, the app shows everyone their role one by one.

Double agents see the names of the other double agents on their screen. No need for anyone to close their eyes!

Then over the course of a few minutes, each player gets one randomly chosen event, called an operation. Operations can give you information about other players, have you make a choice about giving another player some sort of advantage or disadvantage, give you a new victory condition, or change the faction of one or more players.

Players are instructed to read the operation description out loud so that everyone knows what kind of operation they got but their decisions and the result of the operation is private so they are free to lie about what they saw.

There are also a few operations that are designated as "Hidden Agendas" which all have the same description so when someone gets one of those the others won't know exactly which operation was chosen.

The app waits for a few seconds in between operation to give players a chance to talk about what happened.

Once everyone has had an operation, each player secretly votes for one other player. The player with the most votes is imprisoned, if they were a double agent, the agency wins. In the event of a tied vote or a good agent being imprisoned, the double agents win.

The game currently works best with around 7 players and takes about a minute or two per player. As with most social deduction games, it usually takes people a game or two to get into the swing of it but being such a short game means that people usually play more than one game in a session.

I hope posting a digital game here is ok, we really approached this as though we were designing a board game just with the advantage of having a infallible moderator that you can carry around in your pocket!

We have an alpha version for iOS and Android that we have been testing and would love to get more 'blind' tests of. Send me a message if you are interested.

I will probably make a few more posts here about specific operations and some design stuff we have been working through but any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Cleveland
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds super-interesting, Torfi!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Ramsey
msg tools
Any updates on this one? I'm really wondering how far you guys are along!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sigursteinn Gunnarsson
Iceland
Reykjavík
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi sorry!

We didn't realize people were still looking at this thread.

The game is out for iOS and Android!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/triple-agent/id1247445624

&

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tastyrook....

Hope you check it out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
siggijg wrote:
Hi sorry!

We didn't realize people were still looking at this thread.

The game is out for iOS and Android!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/triple-agent/id1247445624

&

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tastyrook....

Hope you check it out!

I just want to bump this to say that this is a great social deduction game. Much cheaper than One Night Ultimate Werewolf and far more interesting too. If you are a fan of social deduction games, give this a shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a forum for this game on bgg or elsewhere? Any player aid material? I'd like to print out a list of what the public knowledge prompts are and what each one might allow a player to do.

I appreciate that the app takes care of everything, but for a group used to analyzing the heck out of Resistance and ONUW, we're going to want the details.

Also, I'm new to the game, but I THINK it could use a pass for consistent language. "Double Agent" threw my wife and I off. After playing around in the app I'm thinking that "Double Agent" means VIRUS agent, but if that's the case, I'd use the same term (VIRUS agent) everywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.