Popular Tags: [View All]
Glenn Massey
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
Gotta Stay Positive!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been looking at Glen More for awhile, but being out of print it is very pricey. Then I came across Murano. They both seem to be rondel-ish, and both have similar BGG ratings and weights. I am a big fan of Mac Gerdts' rondel games, but haven't played either of these. Has anybody played both and can you comment on the similarities/differences, please. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Traci Weiland
United States
Lewis Center
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Murano, but have only played Glen More on Yucata. I don't feel that they are very similar. Granted I haven't played Glen More that many times, but I would not have thought to compare them.

Glen More is more like Tokaido as far as movement is concerned, rather than rondel movement like in Navegador. The person in the back of the line moves first. Then moves to the tile they want and puts it in front of them, following tile placement rules and gets to take an action/or actions based on placement.

In Murano, you do move around the board in a rondel type way to take the action you want. You have cards in your hand that give you a goal to how to score your points. There is tile placement in this game also, but in Murano you are placing down tiles to match the goals on the cards you have, like having more blue customers on particular island. But to score that goal card, you also have to get your player piece/gondolier to that island.

I like them both, but I do like Murano more. Maybe because I have the physical copy of the game or maybe because I've actually been to Murano and I like to have games that are places I've been to in Italy.

Glen More is fun on Yucata and to me it's the harder of the two games. Maybe its the decisions you have to make are harder...like which tile to take, or which tile can I afford, and how do I get the resources I need to pay for the tile I want before someone else takes it. Then there are more decisions to make on where to place the tile and how to move your meeples around so you can place the tiles the way you want.

Since, Glen More is available online, I'm okay with not having it, but I can see how it might be the more satisfying of the two games.

I don't know if that helps much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Massey
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
Gotta Stay Positive!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, thanks. Having not played either, I'm relying on Rahdo Runs Through type video reviews. I generally like "harder" than "easier".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Snyder
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glenn,

If you are interested in Glen More, then you should get Lunarchitects. It is a reimagining of Glen More and is an excellent game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Clegg
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see much similarity between these two games. As already noted, Glen More uses a Tokaido- or Thebes-style track. Murano's gondola track is a bit closer to a rondel and is my favorite part of the game. Unfortunately the scoring cards were a big detractor for me, as it's easy for someone to mess up your endgame accidentally.

Have you checked out Kraftwagen? It's descended from Glen More and by the same designer. It is excellent, in print, and easily acquirable for about $40.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Benson
United States
Dublin
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can second checking out Kraftwagen. I also recommend Shipyard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.