Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Swinkels
Belgium
Webbekom
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend of mine made the remark that this game reminded him of the theme of the "Divergent" books...

Although there are only 4 factions, we have the Nomads as "factionless" group I guess...

Then there is the cataclysm that happened etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexa Elvrayen

California
msg tools
Harry Potter is basically Divergent, then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christy Love
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally agree. Although Divergent (book series being one of my all time favorite) has 5 factions, Anachrony only has 4. Definitely one of the reasons I backed this. Well, to be honest, it had me at 'sci-fi', 'time travel', 'worker placement' and 'factions'. cool

And in no way does Harry Potter compares to Divergent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More like 12 Monkeys on Netflix at the moment. No time travel in Divergent and it incorporates geniuses as a positive which do all tasks so no I cannot see the link at all...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christy Love
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Definitely no time travel in Divergent series. Don't have Netflix so have never seen 12 Monkeys so I'll have to take your word on that. What makes it similar to Divergent is the apocalyptic word and the existence of factions... oops... I mean paths, with each path having a different philosophy and believing their path is the right path. So I like to think of the game as Divergent with a little of Quantum Leap ('striving to put right what once went wrong') by sending resources to the past. I have no doubt there are other books/movies/tv series that it has commonalities with but my brain says Divergent/Quantum Leap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
getchristylove wrote:
Yes. Definitely no time travel in Divergent series. Don't have Netflix so have never seen 12 Monkeys so I'll have to take your word on that. What makes it similar to Divergent is the apocalyptic word and the existence of factions... oops... I mean paths, with each path having a different philosophy and believing their path is the right path. So I like to think of the game as Divergent with a little of Quantum Leap ('striving to put right what once went wrong') by sending resources to the past. I have no doubt there are other books/movies/tv series that it has commonalities with but my brain says Divergent/Quantum Leap.

I haven't seen the 12 monkeys series (which appears to be available via on-demand on cable or for pay from places like amazon), but I can definitely see the connection to the film. I can see why people would see this as similar to Divergent, and I think the parallel works better than pointing to Harry Potter, where the world isn't divided into factions, just the school.

It does remind me of other dystopias like A Brave New World and The Time Machine and even Metropolis. I'm inclined to see shared lineage between the two texts, rather than inspiration.

getchristylove wrote:

I completely agree! Divergent is like attending a high school football match -- pleasant enough, and you'll go away happy. But you wouldn't put High Schoolers on the pitch with Harry Potter's World Cup players. No comparison. cool

(I will grant, though, that the whole series would have been better if it had acknowledged that Hermione was really the main character and person who defeated Voldemort.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexa Elvrayen

California
msg tools
getchristylove wrote:

There are four different factions sorted based on the ideals they follow/embody. (Five, Death Eaters)
That is all the comparison we're drawing with Anachrony, isn't it? Or did I miss something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexa_Elvrayen wrote:
getchristylove wrote:

There are four different factions sorted based on the ideals they follow/embody. (Five, Death Eaters)
That is all the comparison we're drawing with Anachrony, isn't it? Or did I miss something?

I think there are two different conversations embedded into one here:

1. The original comparison referred to the houses at Hogwarts, but those divisions are not universal in the Harry Potter world -- they're rooming houses at Hogwarts academy. People may hold some allegiance to those houses after they leave, but it isn't a societal structuring device the way it is in Divergent.

2. When getchristylove wrote "in no way does Harry Potter compare to Divergent", they were writing about its quality, suggesting that Divergent was so good, Harry Potter isn't even on the same scale (of awesomeness), and so they "can't be compared." I muddied the water by affirming this distinction in quality, but correcting getchristylove with the obvious truth that Harry Potter is the series which is far more awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Inman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At least Harry Potter has time travel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.