Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Delith Malistar
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm beginning to wonder why the rules state that there is a limited amount of resources. In a game dripping with theme, it just doesn't make sense thematically.

You build the structures to generate energy. You have solar panels and wind turbines. The weather is great. There is wind and sun plenty. Yet you can't actually produce the energy because someone else's structures generated energy first? Like they sucked up all the sun and wind? Makes no sense.

Same with food tokens. You build the farms and greenhouses to grow food. You upgrade them and even hire a botanist to oversee production. You have the energy to run the facilities and even have clean water. Nope! Not good enough! They don't actually grow (and consequently can't be harvested) because someone else grew food in their own greenhouse first.

Oh, and you have a boatload of dirty water ready to be cleaned but you can't because someone cleaned their dirty water earlier and took all the clean water tokens. Man, that sentence right there just destroys the theme.

So thematically, it breaks down into silliness. Now I understand that limiting the tokens causes conflict and strategy. Also the cost to make more tokens for each game might be cost-prohibitive and therefore the 'limited resources' rules was tacked on but at what cost? Well, at the cost of a theme. Sure, you can also say, "Hey dummy, it's a colony on Mars. Resources are obviously limited!". But that's not how the game sets it up. If every player can have their own greenhouse (which is even upgrade-able), solar panels, and wind turbines then those structures should produce resources independently of any 'resource pool' available. Now for clean water, I can maybe believe it. There is only one structure for that and maybe it can only produce so much water at a time. But for the other resources I just don't see any sound reason why they should be limited without making a tenuous stretch to justify a game tension mechanic.

I suppose I can always make it a variant where resources aren't limited or something but maybe someone can shed light onto why they should be. Because as I see it, it's a tacked on rule with no real justification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Omega Centauri Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree - certainly with energy. In the only competitive game we tried people just hoarded it and going 4th was miserable, energy ran out ...

Maybe limited food, maybe limited water, maybe limited medicine - but not regolith or energy.

It feels like this was a co-op game, and they added on solo and competitive fairly late in the development cycle and maybe a bit more testing with the resource limits actually shipped was needed?

Limits of course make more sense in the coop, there you're encouraged to use them to put them back for others to then get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delith Malistar
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh I forgot about Regolith. That most definitely shouldn't be limited. I mean, if you can dig it out of the ground (which you can as long as you have energy), it should be available as a token. In the same vein then, dirty water should be unlimited.

I didn't address medicine but I think those tokens too shouldn't be limited. I mean, you can 'make' them with other ingredients. So as long as you have those ingredients, they can be made. Only having a limited 'resource pool' of medicine tokens being the sole reason you can't make more medicine just makes no thematic sense. Again, I might be persuaded if the argument is that the medical facility can only produce so much medicine at one time and maybe they need to recycle and reuse the needles, gauze, or exhaler cartridges or something....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Downie
United Kingdom
Wirral
Merseyside
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm definitely not saying I support the limited resources but the only way I could thematically get around the energy supply being limited is like you say with the water. There's only so much they can store. Imagine it's a large set of rechargeable batteries you have to power. They're all shared by the colonists. But they only take them back when drained.
It's not a perfect answer but it helped me 'theme' that part slightly.

Also, are you playing with the 'only take 1 energy at a time per player until you receive your quota or supply runs out'?
That might help. I've still to get a 2nd game to the table as we played the 'first player take all energy required, 2nd player take all yours etc" and it ruined one persons enjoyment getting no energy for a whole cycle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delith Malistar
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vyking wrote:
I'm definitely not saying I support the limited resources but the only way I could thematically get around the energy supply being limited is like you say with the water. There's only so much they can store. Imagine it's a large set of rechargeable batteries you have to power. They're all shared by the colonists. But they only take them back when drained.

Also, are you playing with the 'only take 1 energy at a time per player until you receive your quota or supply runs out'?
That might help. I've still to get a 2nd game to the table as we played the 'first player take all energy required, 2nd player take all yours etc" and it ruined one persons enjoyment getting no energy for a whole cycle.

Hi Erik! I think it was your post earlier about that very thing that got me to do this post in the first place. I think most definitely you should try 'one at a time' instead and see if that helps.

Also, darn you for the rechargeable battery scenario. Totally makes sense then thematically. Though then I instantly think of a game mechanic in which players can 'steal' energy from the batteries when they don't have enough energy for themselves! devil

Your right, it's a weak but plausible answer as to why energy resources are limited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kellett
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malistar22 wrote:
Vyking wrote:

Hi Erik! I think it was your post earlier about that very thing that got me to do this post in the first place. I think most definitely you should try 'one at a time' instead and see if that helps.

Also, darn you for the rechargeable battery scenario. Totally makes sense then thematically. Though then I instantly think of a game mechanic in which players can 'steal' energy from the batteries when they don't have enough energy for themselves! devil

Your right, it's a weak but plausible answer as to why energy resources are limited.

The thematic reasons for the energy being limited is correct although rather than thinking of it at essentially a portable battery charger, it will be a building containing a series of large storage cells which can only store a limited amount of energy.

This is factually correct and one of the reasons that wind & solar energy is not a viable solution to primary energy production in real life. (Sorry, I work in the power sector so it's kind of my thing)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nisses Clan Skryre
Belgium
Gent
flag msg tools
mbmb
Not only that.
http://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/capacity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nav Chi
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I probably should have updated my forums before I posted my reply to a much earlier post.

TL,DR - I don't feel that resources should be limited

I can imagine a scenario where there might be batteries or food cups or water pails limiting my storage capacity but if I'm building up solar panels and tearing regolith from the ground I should be able to put it somewhere. We play with a house rule that there is unlimited energy (we use different coloured bottle caps to correspond) and this works much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.