John Jarvis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

You would think fairly remote chances of your ship being destroyed.

Well............

3 dice attack against an unharmed howlrunner, She had an evade token and the usual 3 defence dice.

Attack dice came up as 2 hits and a critical (straight roll no modification), I rolled my 3 defence dice, 1 evade and two blanks. So the critical got through.

Turned the card over "Major explosion - Roll 1 attack dice, if you roll a hit suffer a critical damage", No surprise I rolled a hit, turned the card over and it was "Direct hit" which counts as two damage, so one dead howlrunner.

The game can be harsh !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Octatrack
United Kingdom
Rochdale
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harsh indeed! I imagine that laser blast went straight through the cockpit and took her head clean off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jarvis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yup !

Does add to the game though, you never know what's going to happen if a critical gets through

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Octatrack
United Kingdom
Rochdale
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The tension of revealing a critical hit, when you know if it's a direct hit will wipe out your ship is unbearable, but I love it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends completely on who is rolling the dice.

I would die in that situation unquestionably.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dice are fickle. One game, I was flying Han and in the opening salvos, took a pot shot at Soontir Fell, range 3, he was unwounded, focused and stealth deviced, so rolling 5 green dice. He rolled 5 blanks, I killed him.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This f'ing game...

I was playing with a friend Wednesday (we are both new), and he had one hull left. I got to roll four dice at range one. Two hits, but he rolled two evade. No problem, I had target lock, so I re-rolled the two blanks, and...got two more blanks. Then he turned around and targeted my T-70 (with one hull left), also rolling the bonus, and rolled two hits and a crit while I rolled blanks for defense. I SHOULD HAVE killed him so he couldn't target me, then I WOULD HAVE been flying two ships to one with an injured Darth Vader. I was PISSED and said many cuss words. I hope my friend knows I wasn't mad at him, just the GD dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jarvis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yup had soontir die on me early like that too, now run him with royal guard title, autothrusters, stealth device and push the limit. Try and take an evade with one of the actions from push the limit which also gives a focus if taking second action (normally a boost) to try and stop it happening !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
voodoochyl wrote:
I got to roll four dice at range one. Two hits, but he rolled two evade. No problem, I had target lock, so I re-rolled the two blanks, and...got two more blanks.

FYI, you roll and then re-roll dice with target lock before your opponent rolls defense dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drathbun wrote:
voodoochyl wrote:
I got to roll four dice at range one. Two hits, but he rolled two evade. No problem, I had target lock, so I re-rolled the two blanks, and...got two more blanks.

FYI, you roll and then re-roll dice with target lock before your opponent rolls defense dice.

Oh, good to know. Lots of little bits we're playing better/correctly each time we play again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
voodoochyl wrote:
Oh, good to know. Lots of little bits we're playing better/correctly each time we play again.

Yes, lots of bits.

It sure would be nice to know the defense roll before you decide to use your target lock, but unfortunately it doesn't work that way. You have to decide whether to spend it before you see the results. In most cases I would think it's a fairly easy decision because at the very least you know if the opponent has tokens (focus, evade) and how many dice they should be rolling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
When I play, if I roll any hits or evades, its a time to be amazed

Seriously, I have had games that you descibed, but that is part of the charm. Sometimes you cannot predict the unexpected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thespaceinvader -
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
http://xwingcalculator.x10host.com/diceuilm.html

For your edification.

Of course, if a TIE Fighter takes a single crit the chances of it being Major Explosion>Direct Hit are about 90%...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Whitesell
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mathematically, the attacker is heavily favored in any engagement. (some exceptions apply. A HWK primary weapon shot at R2 vs. a Palp Defender, for ex.) That's why most, in my opinion, strong tournament-worthy lists emphasize A) maximizing attack and B) Modification.

You have to weigh this stuff when deciding whether or not cards like Stealth Device or Expose are worth it. Typically, the power of a guaranteed result or modification will beat out simply adding another dice, because dice hate all of us except when they don't. However if adding that dice does not come at the expense of modification - or in Norra Wexley/Protector Title/Fearlessness/Backdraft's case, that added dice is a *result* - well, anything that mitigates dice variance is going to be VERY powerful in the right list - like a VCX-100 packing both a TLT and an ABT on the docked Ghost - WITH Accuracy Corrector. At range 2-3? You'll have to shake off at LEAST 2 hits, TWICE. At range 1? Potential of 4 uncancellable damage per turn.

...i'm not going to lie, I kind of wish one of the latest FAQ's was disallowing Accuracy Correctors from being used on turret secondaries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thespaceinvader -
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
GrantZilla1979 wrote:
like a VCX-100 packing both a TLT and an ABT on the docked Ghost - WITH Accuracy Corrector. At range 2-3? You'll have to shake off at LEAST 2 hits, TWICE. At range 1? Potential of 4 uncancellable damage per turn.

That's not how this works. Only the turret on the VCX is in play until the shuttle is launched; the end of round double tap is from the turret on the VCX. TLT/AC and AB/AC are still very powerful, but you can't use both at the same time.

You're right about the attacker being favoured though; CHHHFFBB versus EEEFFBBB; there;s a 50:50 chance of a positive result on a red die increasing to 75% with a focus token, as opposed to a 3/8 chance increasing to a 5/8 chance with a focus token.

The game is balanced in favour of the attacked because that's much more fun, basically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.