Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyler B
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not tagged as a spoiler because there is nothing in the question that can't be asked about nor seen when you first open the box.

This came out of another discussion, but I wanted to create a new thread to discuss this point explicitly. I'll copy relevant discussion below.

Upgrade Text
Efficient to Sequence: You no longer need to spend an action to Discover a Cure for this disease.

My Question
Is this compulsory or optional? Can you sit on a cure waiting to do [something else]. As an example of [something else], if it's your final cure and you want to eradicate the disease in question, can you hold the required number of cards in hand until all disease cubes are picked up then cure such that the disease is eradicated, and thus eligible for another upgrade?

I think it is optional, and nothing in the rules (which I have seen so far, again, no spoilers) contradicts that. This point came up and clivej chimed in with this:

"While I agree that curing ought to be optional, even when it doesn't take an action, I get the impression from some of the forum discussions that it actually happens automatically whether you want it to or not."

So why are these impressions there? What makes someone think that it's a non-optional curing event?

The other piece of information that I want to bring up is as follows:

Matt Leacock: "This can be done at any time during the course of play, even if it's not your turn. (So, no, you can't do it during setup, before the game as technically begun.) And since you can't interrupt the resolution of a card with other activities, you can't do this in between the steps of an Epidemic."

"This CAN be done at any time..." to me, this is not the same as something automatically occurring. It sounds like a choice, like you also CAN NOT in addition to CAN... Matt doesn't say, "This MUST be done once you have the cards." He also doesn't say, "This occurs automatically as soon as the resolution of all other cards is complete."

So, if you think it's a compulsory event/action to cure once you have the cards, why? Convince me with rules/faqs/errata/quotes from the designer. I'm happy to be wrong here. (Well, not that happy)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, I don't see that it would be compulsory. It's like having an Event card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
That's not the only discussion on such topics there's been, though.

Unfortunately, I'm struggling to find the one I'm thinking of right now. ISTR the main point in question was whether or not the Medic has time before the game ends to eradicate the final disease you cure, but I may be mis-remembering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler B
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
That's not the only discussion on such topics there's been, though.

Unfortunately, I'm struggling to find the one I'm thinking of right now. ISTR the main point in question was whether or not the Medic has time before the game ends to eradicate the final disease you cure, but I may be mis-remembering.

That's precisely why I made this topic. SOMEONE out there will find it and post the link to the discussion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throknor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the idea that it isn't compulsory to cure the disease once you have the cards since even during the game you may want to save one for a direct flight or other action*. After all if there is only once or two cities so far in a certain color you usually aren't in a hurry to cure it early in the game especially if you know it won't take an action.

This also relates to a rule we didn't see until December:
Page 8 wrote:
Action: Treat Disease
If the last cube of a cured disease is removed from the board, this disease is eradicated. Flip its cure marker from its vial side to its "(/)" side.

I emphasized the word "cured" as it is important. There were a couple of early months we held on to cards hoping to eliminate all of the cubes first but it turns out when you treat the last color of a cube that is cured it automatically becomes eradicated.

I don't know if we missed this because it is different than standard Pandemic or we just didn't learn that rule there either but it would definitely have changed some of our earlier game actions.

*Other actions include spending for Funded Event Cards.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
or using for as unfunded events or equipment, and I spoiled this as I can't remember when either come out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Throknor wrote:
While I agree with the idea that it isn't compulsory to cure the disease once you have the cards (since you may want to save one for a direct flight or other action), you've apparently also missed a rule we didn't see until December:
Page 8 wrote:
Action: Treat Disease
If the last cube of a cured disease is removed from the board, this disease is eradicated. Flip its cure marker from its vial side to its "(/)" side.

I emphasized the word "cured" as it is important. There were a couple of early months we held on to cards hoping to eliminate all of the cubes first but it turns out when you treat the last color of a cube that is cured it automatically becomes eradicated.

I don't know if we missed this because it is different than standard Pandemic or we just didn't learn that rule there either but it would definitely have changed some of our earlier game actions.

The example he gave was "if it's your final cure", meaning the game is over as soon as it's cured*. In that case, you would have to remove the cubes first for an eradication.

* if it's the last required objective, that is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throknor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CSerpent wrote:
The example he gave was "if it's your final cure", meaning the game is over as soon as it's cured*. In that case, you would have to remove the cubes first for an eradication.

Thanks, I did miss that. I've edited to more clearly reflect that there are also times during the game when you might want to keep certain cards as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler B
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Throknor wrote:
I agree with the idea that it isn't compulsory to cure the disease once you have the cards since even during the game you may want to save one for a direct flight or other action.

This is a good point too. You might not want to be forced to discard an unfunded event simply because it is the same color as a disease that is Efficient to Sequence. You wouldn't want to discard a card you need for a direct flight/charter flight/build a structure.

I think the fact that cards are so versatile in this game points to the optional nature of the question at hand. If it were compulsory, then you lose the chance to do many more things with those cards because you happened to draw a 5th card of a color, for example.

Great points and discussion guys. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CSerpent wrote:

Exception: if the last cubes are in the same city as the Medic, then curing the disease to end the game still counts as an eradication.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.