Core Worlds: Revolution» Forums » General

Subject: New hero art rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tanausú Alayón
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering where the decision came from to redo the art on a large number of already existing heroes. I find it strange, and honestly a bit frustrating, as in my opinion the art is better in the original in almost all cases.

I feel like the art in the original was great and consistent. I have mixed feelings about Revolution though, specifically some of the reworked heroes. Is it just me? And was it really necessary to redo cards that looked as good as the retired flying ace, simon the fox, lord banner, promethean cyborg,...

The only one I can understand is warlord hosk, to differentiate him more from Albrecht. Other than that, I feel like the artists really hit the mark on the originals, and on some of the new ones completely missed it.

Sorry if I'm sounding a bit harsh, it's just that I love this game and it's art so much, and I'm quite attached to some of the art on the original hero cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard to answer having never seen Revolution. It'd be nice to see some comparisons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanausú Alayón
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I took a few pictures for comparison, sorry if they're poor quality

Opinions will differ of course, but I really like some of the originals. I just wonder why they went out of their way to do it since the original art was already there. Maybe those artists weren't available for the heroic tactics? I don't know...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bobbyme wrote:
I took a few pictures for comparison, sorry if they're poor quality
Thanks!

Yeah, in almost almost comparison you posted the older pictures is better.

New version is as good as the original
Lord Banner
Albrecht

New version is noticably worse than the original
Queen Alais
Warlord Hosk
Retired Flying Ace
Prince Aaron

New version makes me want to gouge my eyes out
Baron Viktor
Simon the Fox
Swordmaster
Robot Hero
Promethean Cyborg

Who approved this? That's horrible!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the pictures it looks like all the cards are identical to the original other than the picture. Is that the case? Do you have to use these new cards or can you keep using the originals?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
I straight up kept some of the old cards and let them not match the Heroic Tactic cards. The old art I kept in my box were: Lord Banner, Prince Aaron, Baron Viktor, Sword Master, Warlord Hosk, Promethean Cyborg, Albrecht, and Queen Alais.

I changed out for the new art: Simon the Fox and Retired Flying Ace.

I suspect that the reason that many of the arts were changed (although I have no evidence to confirm this) is that they were unable to get the original artists to illustrate several Heroic Tactic cards. Rather than having the Tactic art and the Hero art mismatch, they probably just recommissioned the Hero art with the Tactic art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Patterson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
From the pictures it looks like all the cards are identical to the original other than the picture. Is that the case? Do you have to use these new cards or can you keep using the originals?

I tend to agree on most of these, especially the Promethean Cyborg. (shudder) I have each faction sorted in the Galactic Orders box, with both versions of the starting hero included. I let the player decide which version they want to use. For the ones in the sector decks, I have the new cards, but the old ones are still on hand so we could switch if we wanted to. I don't believe any text or other things changed, so either version of the card should be fine. The only argument for using the new art hero cards is so it matches with the heroic tactic cards. However, the tactic cards come out and go away, whereas the hero could stay in your warzone for quite a while, so you may want something that looks better, at least to whoever is using it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanausú Alayón
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically you can, but they use the new artwork for all the heroic actions, front and back, so then it doesn't match anymore, which is a shame. I'm sure it won't bother some people, but it does bother me, I can't help it. Here's a picture of front and back as an example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, this makes me a lot less likely to get Revolution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanausú Alayón
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'll do the same as you guys, keep some, or let players choose, seems like I'm not the only one with this minor gripe though, that's good to know. I feel like they must have had a good reason, like the artists of the original not being available as mentioned already. Because they must have known changing it was going to upset people, regardless if they agreed or not on which cards are better or worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bobbyme wrote:
It astounds me that anyone would look at this and think "Yeah that looks okay, put it in the game."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Well, this makes me a lot less likely to get Revolution.

I hope not. Apart from this one specific issue with the card art, it's a fantastic expansion that really opens up the game even further. It's a great presentation, the advancements are incredible, and the Heroic Tactics change the way that you look at deck cycling. If you were a fan of the first two boxes, weird new art should not be what holds you back from this third box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Booth
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
bobbyme wrote:
It astounds me that anyone would look at this and think "Yeah that looks okay, put it in the game."

You mean you're not a fan of Baron "Eddie the Head" Viktor?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.