David Bakic
Austria
flag msg tools
Hey guys, this is just to solve a dispute in between my girlfriend and I. I think it can go for a lot and she doesn't agree. Managed to score a very sweet deal with a guy who wanted to get rid of his copies.

The Deluxe is entirely in tact (cards and figures haven't been opened) and the GC has been played a couple of times (still very good condition though).

Thanks up front!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A fiver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Germany
Herne
flag msg tools
Maybe ten bucks if I was looking for a copy of the game. For me the signature doesn't influence the value in any way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
For me it would be a negative number. You'd have to pay me to take it.

However, some people do like it and would pay for it. Hard to say how much. But I don't think the BGG forum is a good place to find Munchkin fans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my group of friends went through a munchkin phase. I may not be a fan but it was influential to the gaming industry. My lack of interest of a signed copy is more about I rather try to meet the guy and get the signature myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Per aspera ad astra.
badge
I'm complately nermal.
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, zero. I might even pay someone to take it away from me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angel Carrete
United States
Fargo
ND
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also wouldn't pay anything for a signed copy of Munchkin because I think the game is terrible. But, as other have mentioned, some people like the game and might be willing to buy it.
As words of encouragement, there are several collectors in the hobby so there is probably a market for such a copy. I hope you can sell it for a profit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin V
United States
Victorville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Fan of Cartoonist Phil Foglio
mbmbmbmbmb
I own a copy of Wiz War signed by designer Tom Jolly. I was able to meet him at a local event and he signed it for me there. The game means more to me because of the memory of the experience and the signature.

On the other hand...

To just receive or buy a game that has some sharpie or pen scribble means nothing and I'd rather own an unmarked copy of the game. Hell, what's stopping someone from forging a signature on a game and trying to mark up the price? If I wasn't there to meet & greet whoever it was that signed it, the signature has NO value to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I have eaten some Netrunner counters and a treasure token from Nemo's War
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't pay more for signed copies of anything. That's not really anything that appeals to me. But my impression of the primary Munchkin audience is that it's a much more fandom based crowd who may value the signature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Question: does the game being signed provide any in-game benefit?

This is Munchkin, where wearing a special shirt, using certain dice, having a few promo bookmarks on hand can give one vast advantages in any game of Munchkin.

What about a signed game? That's likely where you will determine the value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG is not the market place for a Steve Jackson game, they are looked down upon around here. So, any survey you do will be from that perspective.

Yet, they sell a lot to people that don't frequent BGG. I'd try and do some research elsewhere. Maybe see if there have been any signed copies sold on e-bay.

Just like 'Munchkin Water' wouldn't hold a high value around here, it holds value in the right market with a SjG fanboy. Same thing with a signed copy.

Where that market is, I don't know. But, I have no doubt there would be a market somewhere. Yet, it might not be worth 'chasing'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
Alpha pedant
mbmbmbmbmb
My feeling, based on no real knowledge, is that you wouldn't get much for it. At most $20 over list. I know I wouldn't pay much over list for a signed copy of any of my games. Other folks are different so who knows.

(I'd only be thrilled if it was a signed copy with a note addressed to ME. That would be kinda cool.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
$0.02 whistle

But, there are many Munchkin enthusiasts out there who would likely pay much more. Maybe check e-bay?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex bermudez
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Why all the hate for Munchkin?

As a fan of the game, I can tell you that a signed copy does nothing for the value for me. I'm more worried about if it's complete or sealed or what. If it's spankin'-new, I'll pay retail. If it's open but complete and in good condition, I'll grab it at a discount. Incomplete? Maybe a fraction of retail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paradox Games
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
BGG is not the market place for a Steve Jackson game, they are looked down upon around here. So, any survey you do will be from that perspective.

I didn't like this comment because I think it would make you hesitant to discuss games you may enjoy. I don't look down upon Steve Jackson games, and I don't think BGG is a place that would. We tend to discuss games we both love and hate openly and unabashedly, but we're a friendly enough community that we don't look down upon those who do like those games. There are plenty of anti-Munchkin players here. But there are those who like the game. I enjoy it because people who are closest to me are much more casual gamers than I am, and it's a game that the all of them will happily play.

I absolutely love Steve Jackson's Ogre and Car Wars, by the way, and I'm not alone.

So, by the way, where did you get that autograph? Were you one of those who were lucky enough to order a mostly Munchkin Black Friday mystery crate and get it as a surprise rarity? If so, kudos to you. There are people just as interested in game history as game playing, and there is always someone collecting copies like that to preserve, so there's always some value added to a game that's signed by the creator. I wouldn't pay for the autograph, but would be thrilled to get one in a mystery crate.

As for those on the thread who said they would PAY SOMEONE TO TAKE an autographed Munchkin game, please remember me should one ever come into your possession.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McKinney
United States
Lone Jack
Missouri
flag msg tools
evil appears as good in the minds of those whom gods lead to destruction
badge
The Battle on the Ice, ending in a major defeat in the Northern Crusades.
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally wouldn't pay more for a signed autograph, however I doubt it is worth more than double the marked price of the game. It seems like Munchkins does a lot of promotions on the east coast and in Texas, so it wouldn't be too difficult to get it signed if you are at one of their event. Hopefully the game is complete, and should be easy to check since all the sets have the same cards minus any promotional that may have been added.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K J
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Signed Munchkin games by Steve Jackson himself that he made?
In fact would pay absolutely nothing & nada for it. Because Munchkin is not a game that will ever get played by me. You need to sell to die-hard Munchkin fans.
A cpl of his other games by the way, is an entirely different matter. You also do need to show that the signature is by Steve Jackson himself as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
I would not.

Not because it is Munchkin (I don't share the fairly common BGG hatred of the game; I enjoy it), but because it is defaced.

I really, really do not understand why some think that an autograph has value, or can increase the value of the thing it is on.

You could not even pay me to take it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paradox Games
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Rox4Games wrote:
Signed Munchkin games by Steve Jackson himself that he made?
In fact would pay absolutely nothing & nada for it. Because Munchkin is not a game that will ever get played by me. You need to sell to die-hard Munchkin fans.
A cpl of his other games by the way, is an entirely different matter. You also do need to show that the signature is by Steve Jackson himself as well.

I looked at yr collection and saw you have SJG's "GEV". I'd love to hear how you acquired it. swuch a sought-after title in 3rd edition and prior.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Looking on ebay it looks like his signature add around $10-15. That's fairly typical since he's alive and seems the sort to happily autograph things for anyone who asks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Radtke
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zero dollars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I had actually met the guy at a convention or something and had the chance to tell him how much I've enjoyed his games, I'd probably treasure the thing I got him to sign for me, as a memento of the event. But something that someone else got him to sign has no special meaning for me personally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuele Buffagni
Italy
Modena
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Some months ago there was a signed copy of Munchking Legends on Ebay that was sold for 45$. The retail price is something around 25$.

I think that 15-20$ more than the retail version can be a good price if the game is complete and in good conditions. Since Steve Jackson autograph is not very rare I think it may be difficult to sell it for an higher price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Johanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I have some experience with ephemera and autographs, and have recently (the last few years) auctioned thousands of pieces of ephemera and hundreds of autographs.

Most autographs are worth $5-20 over retail value, unless the person was very famous and didn't sign much. Steve Jackson signatures are niche items anyway, and I am pretty sure his signature is not scarce, so there is not much extra value due to the signature. You'll get the most from the unopened game with the signature, but it won't be much of a premium.

Steve Jackson is also still alive, and that doesn't help signature value either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.