Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Ms Marvel (Kamala Khan) Hero rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got bored of waiting for Upper Deck to come up with a Version of Kamala Khan (and of waiting for news of the next expansion) so I decided to just come up with my own version of this awesome character, and a thematic scheme to match.

I decided she should play a bit like Mr Fantastic as her powers are similar. I've also tried to make her heavy on draw and recruit, slightly weak on attack, with lots of different colours. I figure this means she'll be a good supporting hero, representing how her character loves teaming up with the Avengers but is inexperienced on her own. Here goes...

Ms Marvel (Kamala Khan)
Avengers affiliation

The first common is like a watered down version of Mr Fantastic's uncommon, and I couldn't resist giving her a size-changing card...
Embiggened Hand
Strength
cost: 4*
0+ Attack
Size-changing: Strength
You get +1 Attack for every two cards left in your hand.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-eWSwunilw2g/U3cNZF3cqQI/AAAAAAAAOu...

The second common is a Divided card, which I thought was appropriate considering she always feeling conflicted between her super-hero-ing and her family/friends. The first one can help with card draw to boost the other common and references her stretchy powers. The flip-side is kind of a reference to her sneaking out at night to patrol the streets of new jersey, and how that tests her family's patience (and how better to represent patience than making you wait til your next turn for the extra card!)...
Stretched legs
Instinct
Draw a card
Instinct: Draw another card.
https://i.redd.it/8h0dbryuvt4x.jpg
Stretched patience
Covert; 2 Recruit
Patrol the Streets: if they are empty, draw an extra card when you draw a new hand of cards at the end of the turn.
Cost: 4
http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140424002734/marveldata...

When I started thinking about this, my first thought was to have a rare representing Captain Marvel flying to her rescue, but I thought that kind-of down-played how awesome Ms Marvel is in her own right. I did still want to represent her idolising the Avengers somehow though and went with this for the uncommon. I was unsure whether to make her Avengers affiliation so she could trigger it herself, but I think that is sort of thematic with her learning to be herself, and stop pretending to be Captain Marvel...
Meet your idols
Instinct
3 recruit; 0+ Attack
Avengers: +3 Attack
Cost: 6
http://imgc.allpostersimages.com/images/P-473-488-90/92/9240...

I think kamala's strong cultural heritage is one of the coolest things about her character so I decided it was rare-worthy, and I had it play off the covert side of the Divided common to tie in with the constant tension between this and her Super-Hero-ing...
Cultural Heritage
Strength; cost 8
3 recruit; 3 Attack
Covert: When you draw a new hand of cards at the end of your turn, draw three extra cards.
http://womenwriteaboutcomics.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/...

I've also come up with a scheme based on the first story-line in her Super Famous book. I'm putting it in spoiler tags for those who haven't read it:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Hope Yards Development and Relocation Association
Set-up: 10 Twists. Shuffle the HYDRA villain group and stack them face down next to the scheme as a HYDRA deck.
Twists 1-8: the top card of the HYDRA deck captures 2 bystanders and enters the left-most unoccupied city space. If the city is full the Villain escapes immediately (with the bystanders).
Twists 9-10: All Villains in the city capture a bystander and then simultaneously charge two spaces.
Evil wins: when there are 8 bystanders in the Escaped Villains pile.

Not play-tested any of it yet, feedback welcome as always, and if anyone wants to help me find art, that would be welcome too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrell Archer
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Ms Marvel (Khamala Khan) Hero
Love the ideas for her abilities, especially making her similar to Mister Fantastic. You could also consider adding the Size Change keyword from Civil War. I have been considering possibilities for a Generations expansion, including Ms. Marvel, young Nova, Totally Awesome Hulk, and so on. A potential keyword I had in mind was "Legacy", giving a bonus for other versions or inspirations for this character. Similar to "Cross Dimensional Rampage" but beneficial. For example, a Ms. Marvel Card with Legacy would get the printed bonus if a Captain Marvel card were played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TyrellArcher wrote:
Love the ideas for her abilities, especially making her similar to Mister Fantastic. You could also consider adding the Size Change keyword from Civil War. I have been considering possibilities for a Generations expansion, including Ms. Marvel, young Nova, Totally Awesome Hulk, and so on. A potential keyword I had in mind was "Legacy", giving a bonus for other versions or inspirations for this character. Similar to "Cross Dimensional Rampage" but beneficial. For example, a Ms. Marvel Card with Legacy would get the printed bonus if a Captain Marvel card were played.

That's an interesting idea. I'd bear in mind though that those abilities will be fairly easy to trigger if they will work with the Heroes' own deck, and quite difficult if they don't.

One approach would be to require you to have two versions of the character (like Spectrum) and make Hero decks constructed of different iterations of a character?

Also, I did give her first common card Size-Changing. I seem to be using it on all my customs lately. It's a really nice mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Your idea seems pretty good. I've only read one comic with Kamala in it, but this set of powers seems to be in keeping with who she is and what I've read about her. I especially agree with you thinking that Carol showing up to bail her out is a bad idea for a card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrell Archer
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dontfeedthegreen wrote:
TyrellArcher wrote:

That's an interesting idea. I'd bear in mind though that those abilities will be fairly easy to trigger if they will work with the Heroes' own deck, and quite difficult if they don't.

One approach would be to require you to have two versions of the character (like Spectrum) and make Hero decks constructed of different iterations of a character?

Also, I did give her first common card Size-Changing. I seem to be using it on all my customs lately. It's a really nice mechanic.

Ha! I was RIGHT!

whistle

Perhaps my Legacy idea could work if the effect was not always beneficial. Though I agree that Carol bailing out Kamala isn't a good idea, maybe it would fit with a negative effect from Legacy. Being too easy would be a big concern for a character like Spider-Man (Morales); all you'd have to do is have a couple of other Spider Friends in there and you would win very quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gave her trail run against Arnim Zola with the Hope Yards scheme and Captain Marvel and Captain Britain as team-mates.

Worked relatively well, but decided to up the cost on the uncommon and rare as felt slightly over-powered (though maybe that was just because Arnim Zola was under-powered against these Heroes-only 10 cards in the Hero deck had any printed attack!). She was generating a lot of recruit and card draw, but even on turns with lots of cards, I wasn't hitting very high attack values.

Scheme was working quite well, but finished on turn 11 so never got to the last two twists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played that scheme again with a random set-up and was really pleased with how it worked. I won with 7 bystanders in the escaped pile, along with 3 endless armies of HYDRA. Two got there because the city was full when I drew a twist, and the last escaped on twist 9.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's my daughter's birthday in a couple of weeks, and I've bought her Ms Marvel's 2nd book, No Normal, in which she faces off against this cunning foe...

The Inventor
7* Attack
5 VPs
Always Leads: Trash Robots
Master Strike: The Inventor captures a Bystander. Then each player plays a Trash Robots Villain from their Victory Pile into the city. If a player does not have one they discard two cards.
Special: You cannot fight the Inventor while any Trash Robots are in the city.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/56/b9/68/56b968f18...

Tactics

Clean up the Streets
Fight: The Inventor captures a Bystander for each Villain in the city and/or Escaped Villains Pile. Then play a Trash Robots Villain from your Victory Pile into the city.

Study your Abilities
Fight: The Inventor captures three Bystanders if you have played three Heroes with cost 1 or more and the same Hero name this turn. Then play a Trash Robots Villain from your Victory Pile into the city.

Follow you Home
Fight: Each player plays a Trash Robots Villain from their Victory Pile if they have one. The Inventor captures a Bystander from the Victory Pile of each player who did so.

Learn Your Weaknesses
Fight: KO three of your Heroes if you have played three Heroes with cost 1 or more and the same Hero name this turn. Then play a Trash Robots Villain from your Victory Pile into the city.

Henchmen Villain Group
Trash Robots
http://projectfandom.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/photo-33...
3+ Attack
1 VP
Trash Robots get +1 Attack for each Bystander the Mastermind has.
Fight: KO one of your Heroes.
Escape: The Mastermind captures a Bystander.

Scheme
Use Teenagers as Human Batteries
Set-Up: 10 Twists. Use Trash Robots as an additional 10-card Henchmen group in the Villain deck.
Twist: The Mastermind captures a Bystander. Then play another card from the Villain deck.
Evil Wins: When the Mastermind has 6 Bystanders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was reading Champions where they all go on a camp-out and try and show off their super-powers for each other, I thought it would be fun to have a scheme based on the idea of Heroes practising using their super-powers, i.e. x-men's danger room or similar...

Super-Power Training Session
Set-up: 6 Twists.
Twist: Stack this Twist next to the Mastermind as a "Holographic Villain".
Special: You cannot fight the Mastermind while any Holographic Villains are stacked next to them. Holographic Villains have Attack equal to the Mastermind's Attack and are worth 4 VPs. They get -2 Attack for each Uncommon or Rare Hero you have played on your turn. Bystanders are worth double their normal VPs.
Evil Wins: When the Villain deck runs out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.