Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Stearns
United States
Dale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen people rate a game before it is released a 1 or a 10. I don't have a strong opinion either way and know I have seen forms on this topic before but it got me wondering. After someone plays the game do they go back and change the 10 or 1 or do people just keep it as is? I would find it strange to rate something a 10 and finally play it and it's only a 7.... If you don't change it your ratings are all off or maybe I'm just thinking about this to much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jade Knight
United States
Upper Valley
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TimallDay wrote:
I have seen people rate a game before it is released a 1 or a 10. I don't have a strong opinion either way and know I have seen forms on this topic before but it got me wondering. After someone plays the game do they go back and change the 10 or 1 or do people just keep it as is? I would find it strange to rate something a 10 and finally play it and it's only a 7.... If you don't change it your ratings are all off or maybe I'm just thinking about this to much!

Some people do change their ratings. A lot of people don't. Some people rate games as 1 that they've never played and never intend to play. Clearest example of this I can think of is Trump: The Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TimallDay wrote:

One of many reasons the rating system is useless to anyone but you and your gaming friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Woynillowicz
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a reason people are allowed to rate before release? Or is that just a loophole?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
imperil wrote:
Is there a reason people are allowed to rate before release? Or is that just a loophole?

It'd be more work to prevent than it's worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dalestephenson wrote:
imperil wrote:

Yes, plus any person can rate any game whatever and however they wish, as long as they only do it once, i.e. not create multiple accounts to rate the same games over and over. Also, many people play prototypes and demos of games prior to release, and may rate accordingly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Jade Knight wrote:
TimallDay wrote:

Some people do change their ratings. A lot of people don't. Some people rate games as 1 that they've never played and never intend to play. Clearest example of this I can think of is Trump: The Game.
That might be because that is what the rating rate, your desire to play the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Mabuchi wrote:
TimallDay wrote:

One of many reasons the rating system is useless to anyone but you and your gaming friends.

Not at all true. While many individual users do wacky things with the ratings, taken as a whole they are a reasonable approximation of how well regarded a game is in aggregate. That doesn't mean they can be used with no context - just because Twilight Struggle is highly rated doesn't mean that it will be a great game for everyone, but it does mean that if you are looking for a 2-player fairly complex game with a ~3 hour playtime, Twilight Struggle is certainly a game you should look into.

As the universe of board games continues to expand at an increasing rate, tools that allow us to filter and curate are useful. BGG ratings are a good tool for that if used properly, and just like any tool, they are crap if you expect them to do everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
Roll for it
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
I rate games 4 to counter 7s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L S
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dalestephenson wrote:
imperil wrote:

if ('release_date' < 'system_time') {'geek_rating' <- 'NA'}

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
The problem in the equation is people. Eliminate that, everything works.
mbmbmbmbmb
RingelTree wrote:

I went to find a game you rated 4 so I could rate it a 7. I found Go. Then I went and found out that I had already rated it a 7.

Curses! Foiled again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
Mabuchi wrote:
TimallDay wrote:

Not at all true. While many individual users do wacky things with the ratings, taken as a whole they are a reasonable approximation of how well regarded a game is in aggregate. That doesn't mean they can be used with no context - just because Twilight Struggle is highly rated doesn't mean that it will be a great game for everyone, but it does mean that if you are looking for a 2-player fairly complex game with a ~3 hour playtime, Twilight Struggle is certainly a game you should look into.

As the universe of board games continues to expand at an increasing rate, tools that allow us to filter and curate are useful. BGG ratings are a good tool for that if used properly, and just like any tool, they are crap if you expect them to do everything.

My preference is for longer heavier games. The main reasons for giving a game a poor rating are: Long, too heavy, and not enough bling. Most of my games that I really like are all 3 of those, so ya, I do find the ratings to be in general, useless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Posthumous Jones
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a crowd-sourced ratings system that you wouldn't take with a grain of salt?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Martin
United States
Parkland
Washington
flag msg tools
What is worse is when one person rates some three hour unheard of game as a 10 and your wife thinks she has found the greatest game ever and proudly buys it for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You would think a rating system from 1 to 10 would be simple enough.

And yet.....I have seen people do some really wacky things:

- using their "own" system for rating games and then spending 8 paragraphs justifying it

- rating games a 10 because they're JUST SO EXCITED ABOUT IT "SQUEEEE!!!"

- rating a game a 1 because, well, for about 1,000 reasons that have NOTHING to do with the game

- rating the game a 5 because they've purchased the game, but haven't played it yet so this rating is just a "placeholder"

- rating the game based on the fact that they lost

- picking a certain genre of game (say, oh, ameritrash) and rating every single one of them a 2 because they believe games of that type are fundamentally broken

- rating any game without playing it. at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
RingelTree wrote:

I went to find a game you rated 4 so I could rate it a 7. I found Go. Then I went and found out that I had already rated it a 7.

Curses! Foiled again!
Since he's rating a game three less (7-4) you should rate the game three more. So change your 7 to a 10!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Randombias wrote:
dalestephenson wrote:
imperil wrote:

The work isn't confined to code disabling the ability to set a rating. The real work is ensuring release dates are correct for all games. No small feat when release dates are so fluid before they actually happen. Given that the benefit is so tiny (preventing a handful of pre-release ratings -- some of which may be entirely legitimate ratings from playing a pre-release copy) it's definitely not worth trying to enforce.

YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mabuchi wrote:
cferejohn wrote:
Mabuchi wrote:
TimallDay wrote:

My preference is for longer heavier games. The main reasons for giving a game a poor rating are: Long, too heavy, and not enough bling. Most of my games that I really like are all 3 of those, so ya, I do find the ratings to be in general, useless.

Roads and Boats review:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dalestephenson wrote:
Randombias wrote:
dalestephenson wrote:
imperil wrote:

The work isn't confined to code disabling the ability to set a rating. The real work is ensuring release dates are correct for all games. No small feat when release dates are so fluid before they actually happen. Given that the benefit is so tiny (preventing a handful of pre-release ratings -- some of which may be entirely legitimate ratings from playing a pre-release copy) it's definitely not worth trying to enforce.

YMMV.
Yup. Someone would have to track the release dates. Or at least approve them. And when would that be? When it's being playtested? When a few copies show up at a convention, but it's not in general release? When it releases in Europe but still isn't available in the US. When the kickstarter copies ship out, but before retail gets copies? No matter when you pick there will be people who have played the game but can't rate it yet. And the second you open it up to ratings, you'll still get the same people rating it a 1 or a 10.

It's a lot of effort to solve an inconsequential problem. Ratings from random BGG'ers don't mean anything. Most of them don't even like games in your genre. Those that do often disagree with you about which games are good. You don't even like a bunch of games in the BGG top 100. Ignore the general BGG ratings. Cultivate a group of people who share your tastes and add them as geekbuddies so that you can look at the geekbuddy analysis tool and get ratings that will actually predict whether you'll like a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Need More Coffee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG should do a fund raising where people who pledge money can rate games 0 or 11.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
Roll for it
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
Party Hats wrote:
BGG should do a fund raising where people who pledge money can rate games 0 or 11.

First reaction: Hah!
Second reaction: Hmm... how much?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RingelTree wrote:
Party Hats wrote:

First reaction: Hah!
Second reaction: Hmm... how much?

I know, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TimallDay wrote:
... or maybe I'm just thinking about this to much!

Be pleased and proud to have found the proper answer to your own question as quickly as a mere few sentences later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG rankings are their own game. If your favorite games can't achieve BGG Top 10, then play king maker.

I'm going to rank all my unplayed games as, "10 - Best game ever! (I hope.)" And, than give them appropriate backlash when they fall to achieve that. "6 - It's a really fun game that I play all the time, but I wanted it to be the best. (Stupid hype.)"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boss Beau Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ratings without comments have minimal impact on me. In general, I like to see what people say about a particular game when I want to find out more about it. I have found that my tastes in games don't necessarily agree with what's most popular on BGG. I don't think voting a game a 10 to counter a 1 rating helps out any. I think it would be much more useful if you gave it a true rating according to how you truly feel and included comments to support why you rated it so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.