Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Griffey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've done this for the original QM, the WW2 version, and it works nicely. The argument is that the winner of a world war appears at the end of the war, so the later VP positions should count more.

1914: VP x1
1915: VP x1
1916: VP x2
1917: VP x3
1918: VP x5.

If it's true the Allies score better in late war, this helps them.

Or, since the VP track only goes to 80,

1914: VP x1/2.
1915: VP x1/2.
1916: VP x1
1917: VP x2
1918: VP x3.

Apology to Fibonacci: 1/2 + 1 = 1 1/2, not 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armand
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How did you do it in WWII? And do the Allies need help? I thought the game was weighted toward the Axis in most players' opinions, no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witch Lord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnimalMother wrote:
We've done this for the original QM, the WW2 version, and it works nicely. The argument is that the winner of a world war appears at the end of the war, so the later VP positions should count more.

1914: VP x1
1915: VP x1
1916: VP x2
1917: VP x3
1918: VP x5.

If it's true the Allies score better in late war, this helps them.

I'm not sure which camp this helps more, actually. The doubling of the score in 1916 (which is still mid-game) makes it a lot easier to win by 12 point knockout. It's usually the Central Powers who are in the lead at that point. Imagining that the Central Powers were leading by +4 VP before the third scoring round, with a doubled score they would need to be scoring a mere 4 VPs more than their opponents to end the game there and then.

I'd say that probably much fewer games make it to the final round with these rules... but then, the strategies would also probably change completely, so who knows.

Personally, I believe that the mechanic where you start losing points once you've been attritioned out of cards at the end already represents that effect you mentioned, where the winner only appears at the end. However, I'll mention this variant to my group and see if there's an interest.

Thanks for sharing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witch Lord
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
doctoryes0 wrote:
How did you do it in WWII? And do the Allies need help? I thought the game was weighted toward the Axis in most players' opinions, no?

Depends on which version we're talking.

Personally, I find that 1914, as well as the final version of the original game with both expansions, are very well balanced.

OTOH I believe there's a consensus that the original base game favors the Allies (which I agree with).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Griffey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
doctoryes0 wrote:

We house ruled QM WWII. Each power played two cards each round, for a total of ten rounds. The two cards had to be of different types, there being eight card types.

The Calendar of Ten Rounds
1936-37: VP x 1/2
1938: VP x 1/2
1939: VP x 1
1940: VP x 1
1941: VP x 1
1942: VP x 1
1943: VP x 2
1944: VP x 2
1945: VP x 3
1946: VP x 5

Our house rules benefited the Allies quite a bit, but it was still possible for Axis to win about 1/3 of the games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armand
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool! I think I'd like that variant!

Our only house rule is that the Axis players get to drop an extra card on t1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.