Popular Tags: [View All]
LJ
Canada
Stoney Creek
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really hoping Tea Time is using regular post (and not a commercial carrier that charges brokerage/handling fees) to send these. Have sent request and will update when I hear back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
bgdev.club is really a site address, no www or .com needed :)
badge
Join the Board Game Development Club, see behind the scenes, participate in development, add the games you are working on
mbmbmbmbmb
It will be shipped with normal post, 1-2 weeks for the whole world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LJ
Canada
Stoney Creek
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Rustan,

Received this message from Samuel:

We are shipping directly from Sweden with an ordinary carrier (probably DHL).

So that isn't regular/normal post; it is a commercial carrier. It's important that international backers know that this means high brokerage and handling fees. I'm out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Join the Board Game Development Club, see behind the scenes, participate in development, add the games you are working on
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

Can you explain a but more about how these costs happen? The way we were promised it would happen is that they do the last stretch delivery with local post, adding no extra fees except possibly import tax. If there are any extra costs we want to find a better shipping option. It is not DHL Express, this is a completely separate part of DHL. Slightly longer shipping times, but cheaper. We have an option to use them, but have not decided for sure. If there are any extra costs above import tax we will cover those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LJ
Canada
Stoney Creek
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RustanR wrote:
Hi!

Can you explain a but more about how these costs happen? The way we were promised it would happen is that they do the last stretch delivery with local post, adding no extra fees except possibly import tax. If there are any extra costs we want to find a better shipping option. It is not DHL Express, this is a completely separate part of DHL. Slightly longer shipping times, but cheaper. We have an option to use them, but have not decided for sure. If there are any extra costs above import tax we will cover those.

I am unaware of private shipping companies that hand off to local post. Who is ultimately responsible for the package? In any case, the question comes down to this: who is clearing the package at borders? DHL or public post (e.g. in Canada, Canada Post)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The German public post would be the sender that transfers the package over the border from what I understand, using this shipping option. Can you explain what difference it makes so we can investigate further?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LJ
Canada
Stoney Creek
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RustanR wrote:
The German public post would be the sender that transfers the package over the border from what I understand, using this shipping option. Can you explain what difference it makes so we can investigate further?

So does DHL function as Germany's public post? If not, how is DHL involved?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is very messy, they are a huge conglomerate and essentially the same thing but with many different parts. Finding out that this shipping option even existed was really hard. We are talking to them a lot, trying to understand if it really is the best option for all our backers. That is why I really want to understand what problems you have had before, so we can check and make sure it does not happen to anyone. We still have several months left before we have to select a shipper so I hope most potential problems can be eliminated.

I have worked in games distribution though, so I know first-hand that there are no total guarantees with shipping. I have had shipments stolen because the truck was stolen that the shipment was in. I have had pallets disappear, just to be found a week later at a random airport in southern France (we were in Sweden, shipped from USA via Frankfurt). But the strangest was probably when a trucker offloaded several pallets at a total random farm several miles from our warehouse, in pouring rain, just dumped them under a plastic overhang to the total astonishment of the farmer that luckily called the phone number printed on all the boxes and we could come and pick them up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LJ
Canada
Stoney Creek
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is an odd story, indeed. And unfortunate.

So clearly I don't understand DHL as a company but what I can tell you from the receiving end is that DHL is like all the other private carriers (UPS, FedEx, Purolator). In Canada, there is no duty on board games. The only thing we have to pay is sales tax, according to our provincial rate (like we would on most goods). So, let's say it is 13% tax. On a 50 dollar game, that's $6.50. So since that amount has to be paid at the border, the private carriers do it on behalf of the receiver. And that's when the fees hit. The receiver obviously owes back the $6.50 but the carrier charges a handling fee ("Entry preparation charges"), a COD fee, and an import charge processing fee.

Using the public post (Canada Post, in our case), most of this is eliminated. They charge a reasonable flat rate to clear the package.
Even better is for games to ship from a Canadian hub, so everything is cleared at once.

Does that make sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I understand. As this would be handed out by local post then it should go on their routines. The high extra expenses only come with direct delivery at your house, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LJ
Canada
Stoney Creek
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well all mail services deliver to our houses/community mailbox. But if what you're saying is that CANADA POST will handle delivery within Canada, then that is ideal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mister lee
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LJplays wrote:
Well all mail services deliver to our houses/community mailbox. But if what you're saying is that CANADA POST will handle delivery within Canada, then that is ideal.

If it's DHL, I'm almost 100% sure it will have additional broker fee on top of the duty fee and taxes..
Last time I had DHL delivery a cheap ($50 item), I was dinged with a $20 broker fee + import tax..
I will refuse to back anything that uses DHL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Goodenow

Mentor
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread has made me nervous about backing, so I am holding off for now. This is a case where I would love to be able to back the project and just until August for pick-up at GenCon (if that were an option, of course).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.