Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The MB rulebook makes it sound like you get 12 cards on top of your starter. "Deal each player 6 more cards ...Set another 7 minute timer.." page 10 and then later just below in summary "get cards..set timer... get cards... set timer..(no mention of get cards)... 6 minute timer" which all worked fine until a thing from set rotation:

1. Under seal play variant, it mentions "instead of getting starter decks and 3(!?) draws from the store..."

2. I'm not really sure now if Pritchard Leftfield gets his power once every 20 minute deckbuilding phase or if he gets his power every 7/7/6 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan C
msg tools
At the start of the game you get a starter deck + 3 cards, this is mentioned in setup I believe. (There's a caveat that you don't use those 3 extra cards if you run a prerelease tourney, because that's just about teaching using the basic starter cards.) Then in each deck building phase you get 6 cards, have 7 minute phase, get 6 cards, have 7 minute phase, then final 6 minute phase.

Basically what this means is in a normal non prerelease game you get 9 cards at the beginning of the first deck building phase. If you want to get technical, you get the first 3 before the game starts along with your starter pack, so you can look at them before the game starts. The other 7 you can't look at until the timer starts.

It's an admittedly confusing rule, but the reason its like that comes into play with cards like Leftfield. I'll quote the card here:

Quote:
DECKBUILDING POWER

At the start of each Deckbuilding Phase, you receive 1 copy of each card in a random set from outside the game (1st: EXPANSION 2nd: PREMIUM 3rd: MASTER). These cards replace the first 6 cards you would receive each Deckbuilding Phase.

The Deckbuilding phase is the whole 20 minute thing. So this will be happening 3 times a game. When you combine this with the rest of the rules we discussed, what happens is at the very beginning of the game, Leftfield gets a starter deck plus 3 random cards. Then when the deckbuilding phase starts, instead of the 6 cards he normally gets then, his ability activates and he gets the cards from a random expansion set. Once 7 minutes goes by and cards are handed out again, he gets 6 random cards like every one else. It's not until after the tourney and there's a new deck building phase that he would get a new set from outside the game (this time a Premium Set). And then in the third and final deckbuilding phase he'd get the random Master set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! I completely missed the 3 cards with starter. That's a really weird place to put it, instead of saying draw 9 (6+3) cards at the start of tournament.

Thank you again for the clarifications!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lund

Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So to clarify on this rule, what's the official ruling about Pritchard left field; does he get cards for first 7 min. Cards for 2nd 7 min AND cards for final 6 min? His ability is poorly worded to make it seem like it counts every part of the deck building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is very poorly worded. Going on the above post as the 'real' rules (since no one from L99 has clarified otherwise, and this makes the most sense to me), you are to give out starter cards and the intro tournament cards as normal (not the 6 cards, but the 4 cards that is easily damn missed in the instructions). Then for only the first 6 cards that would be given at the start of the deckbuilding 20 minutes, you give out that set to the player with Pritchard. So only during that first handout is the power in effect. Then, after the first tournament, it happens again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lund

Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bubblepipemedia wrote:
It is very poorly worded. Going on the above post as the 'real' rules (since no one from L99 has clarified otherwise, and this makes the most sense to me), you are to give out starter cards and the intro tournament cards as normal (not the 6 cards, but the 4 cards that is easily damn missed in the instructions). Then for only the first 6 cards that would be given at the start of the deckbuilding 20 minutes, you give out that set to the player with Pritchard. So only during that first handout is the power in effect. Then, after the first tournament, it happens again.

To clarify, lets say it's just after the tutorial tournament was played;

All players (except Pritchard) get 6 cards from deck - Pritchard gets all unique cards from a bronze pack(from those not in play).

7 Min pass

All players (except Pritchard) get 6 cards from deck - Pritchard gets all unique cards from a different bronze pack(from those not in play).

7 Min Pass

No one gets cards - Pritchard does? His ability says every phase of deckbuilding ?

Do I have this right for the first two sections? And whats the ruling on the last section of deck building?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. Only his first six cards are replaced. The second set of six cars he gets is normal. 3rd phase means before the 3rd tournament. That threw me off too.

In any given 20 minute deckbuilding phase his powers only trigger once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan C
msg tools
Not sure where all the confusion is coming from. It says "At the start of each Deckbuilding Phase". So you only do it once in the deck building phase, not 2 times, or 3 times. And it's further clarified later in the card where it says "These cards replace the first 6 cards you would receive each Deckbuilding Phase." Not the second 6 cards. Or an extra 3rd set of cards no one else gets. There are 3 deckbuilding phases in the entire game. 1st one you get an Expansion set as your first 6 cards, 2nd you get a Premium set, 3rd you get a Master set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it's confusing because there are also 3 deckbuilding 'times' or whatever you want to call them. Phase/round/etc are all really interchangable and knowing which one it means can be confusing. The keyword here is First, but it's easily missed. Because only 6 cards are given, why would it say First, etc. Anyway, I totally get this guys issue, because I too was confused initially. It's not the most intuitive phrasing. After you re-read it and understand how it's supposed to work, it makes perfect sense. But prior to that it can be super confusing, especially if you just spent 45 or so minutes explaining and setting up the game only to go 'wait what now'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.