Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I mentioned before how I felt we had "cheated" on this, but others suggested that it might be OK, since WE are controlling their movement temporarily.

So what is the "official" answer? When we are pulling, pushing, or otherwise controlling the movement of a flying enemy, can we move them into a trap?

We're playing again in 2 days so we definitely need to know before then.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toeknee n
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ebridge wrote:
I mentioned before how I felt we had "cheated" on this, but others suggested that it might be OK, since WE are controlling their movement temporarily.

So what is the "official" answer? When we are pulling, pushing, or otherwise controlling the movement of a flying enemy, can we move them into a trap?

Thanks!

Aye, you're pushing/pulling the monsters, so you can do as you wish. Note that Flying monsters are unaffected by traps. If the monster has Jump, it's also unaffected unless its end movement is on a trap. See aflorin's post below for Jump clarification.

If you want sources, I can dig them up but currently eating lunch .

Edit: Some of this is also covered in the FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ebridge wrote:

Thanks!

From the FAQ:
Quote:
Can flying monsters be pushed into traps?
The can be pushed into hexes with traps, but doing so will not trigger the traps.

I just searched for "trap" to find it.

Link: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1687146/official-faq/page/1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It sounds like the official answer would be NO, flying enemies are NEVER affected by traps even if stunned, pushed, pulled, etc.

The only exception would be if some ability or effect temporarily removes flying. I'm pretty sure it would explicitly say so if it did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
countertorque wrote:
ebridge wrote:

Thanks!

From the FAQ:
Quote:
Can flying monsters be pushed into traps?
The can be pushed into hexes with traps, but doing so will not trigger the traps.

I just searched for "trap" to find it.

Link: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1687146/official-faq/page/1

Thanks. This is what I was looking for. You can't make them trigger the trap and take damage/conditions from it. Obviously there's still a lot of confusion about this. Not sure I agree with this thematically, since I'm controlling their movement for a while, but if the rule is that we can't force them to the ground then that's how we'll be playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Mountain view
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Kinda have to agree here from a thematic POV. It's difficult to see how a mind thief controlling a flying monster doesn't have the skill to force the monster to trigger a trap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CycyX
France
Magny en Vexin
Val d'Oise
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, just imagine that in this world, a flying creature *can't* land: there is a magical field keeping it from ever touching the ground...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
johnb4bgg wrote:
Kinda have to agree here from a thematic POV. It's difficult to see how a mind thief controlling a flying monster doesn't have the skill to force the monster to trigger a trap.

Practically speaking, if a flying monster can occupy the same space as a giant boulder, why not also the same space as a small vermling, or any terrestrial monster for that matter? At some point you just have to accept the game mechanics as they were intended, rather than what makes thematic sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DoctaWho wrote:
ebridge wrote:

Thanks!

Aye, you're pushing/pulling the monsters, so you can do as you wish. Note that Flying monsters are unaffected by traps. If the monster has Jump, it's also unaffected unless its end movement is on a trap.

Monsters with Jump are affected by all traps, not just the last one. Isaac ruled on that.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25201014#25201014
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In our last scenario we pushed a monster without jump or fly into a lava hex, which does half trap damage. We then pushed it into a second lava hex as part of the same push effect. Does the monster take damage in each hex, or just once per hazardous hex type? We decided on just once to avoid risking a cheat, but is there a ruling?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
the monster suffers damage once for each entered hex. There are no rules that would indicate otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toeknee n
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aflorin wrote:
DoctaWho wrote:
ebridge wrote:

Thanks!

Aye, you're pushing/pulling the monsters, so you can do as you wish. Note that Flying monsters are unaffected by traps. If the monster has Jump, it's also unaffected unless its end movement is on a trap.

Monsters with Jump are affected by all traps, not just the last one. Isaac ruled on that.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25201014#25201014

Makes sense, and I remembered reading that too. Thanks for the clarification and I'll edit my above post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Morthai wrote:
the monster suffers damage once for each entered hex. There are no rules that would indicate otherwise.

And if drawing a monster card with no movement in the next round, to suffer damage again presumably?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas A
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:
Morthai wrote:

And if drawing a monster card with no movement in the next round, to suffer damage again presumably?

I don't think so... in the FAQ somewhere (typing this quickly so can't quote it for you) it says you only take damage when you ENTER the hex. Starting your turn on a damage hex will not give you any additional damage. So if they're already on one, then next turn have no movement, they wouldn't take even more damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magictom1 wrote:
philmcd wrote:
Morthai wrote:

I don't think so... in the FAQ somewhere (typing this quickly so can't quote it for you) it says you only take damage when you ENTER the hex. Starting your turn on a damage hex will not give you any additional damage. So if they're already on one, then next turn have no movement, they wouldn't take even more damage.

That is thematically weak for something like lava, but I suppose as the game doesn't differentiate between different types of hazardous terrain....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas A
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I hear ya... maybe the spot you landed on cooled down and made a little floating hardened-lava island ala the ring in LOTR right before it sunk into the fiery depths... and it just takes slightly longer to crack... cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magictom1 wrote:
Yeah I hear ya... maybe the spot you landed on cooled down and made a little floating hardened-lava island ala the ring in LOTR right before it sunk into the fiery depths... and it just takes slightly longer to crack... cool

We'll go with that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.