Daniel Davis
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard the game is easy. I've played through the first trial solo with 2 heroes, and I found it pretty easy.

I'm playing with 4 seasoned gamers, and I want to make it a bit more challenging, so I'm thinking of incorporating a couple of rules from from the new Hammerhal.

I want to limit the amount of skills and treasure the heroes can use/have based on how many runes the party has. 0-1 runes, each hero can have 1 skill and 1 treasure, 2-3 runes, 2 of each, and so on.

I also just read another cool sounding house rule to add. If the heroes gain enough renown to get another skill and they are maxed out already, they can pick a new school to see if they want to swap, and also choose to have an extra hero dice on one turn.

I was also thinking of limiting the amount of random events, because they seem to come up too often, and I don't want to burn through them too quickly. Has this been a problem for people who have completed the campaign? I'm thinking of using modified Hammerhal rules, where a random event only happens if all or no destiny dice are removed, and if a triple number is rolled.

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric L
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All I have done is played the first trial solo with two heroes, and lost. It was in the last room, but as I did not know what was going to happen I just tried to do stuff as fast as i could, which was not the best move.

I haven't played any further as I want to at least pass the first trial before moving on.

To piggyback, if I played this two player, would one hero each or two heroes each be the better experience?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
D_Davis wrote:
I've heard the game is easy. I've played through the first trial solo with 2 heroes, and I found it pretty easy.

I'm playing with 4 seasoned gamers, and I want to make it a bit more challenging, so I'm thinking of incorporating a couple of rules from from the new Hammerhal.

I want to limit the amount of skills and treasure the heroes can use/have based on how many runes the party has. 0-1 runes, each hero can have 1 skill and 1 treasure, 2-3 runes, 2 of each, and so on.

I also just read another cool sounding house rule to add. If the heroes gain enough renown to get another skill and they are maxed out already, they can pick a new school to see if they want to swap, and also choose to have an extra hero dice on one turn.

I was also thinking of limiting the amount of random events, because they seem to come up too often, and I don't want to burn through them too quickly. Has this been a problem for people who have completed the campaign? I'm thinking of using modified Hammerhal rules, where a random event only happens if all or no destiny dice are removed, and if a triple number is rolled.

What do you think?

I played Silver Tower vanilla, and found it fun and challenging at times. You can lose playing the rules as written, but it does sit slightly on the easy side of challenging. (Edit to note: I will be using rules for Hammerhal in future Silver Tower games though, because they are good rules.) You might want to play one scenario as-is, to see how it pans out. If you are hammering it, then you can add to the difficulty.

(Also, double check for rules mistakes. I noticed a few people making comments about "changes" to Hammerhal that make the game harder, but which aren't changes at all. For example, one person said they like the new rules where healing gets progressively harder, but that's exactly the same as in Silver Tower.)

I wouldn't use that house rule about gaining a dice, as you would be making the game easier, which seems to be against what you want to achieve.

Don't limit random events either. They don't turn up that often, but they are essential to the flavour of the game, help to break up the combat, and make the game more challenging. Less random events = easier and less interesting.

Honestly, every group is a bit different, so I would play the first scenario exactly as written. It's not that challenging, and it will let you know which rules you feel you need to tweak for the subsequent eight missions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davis
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool.

When I played solo through the first trial, I had a random event every time I rolled the destiny dice! If that kept up, I'd burn through all the random events by the middle of the campaign. I just want to avoid the same things happening too many times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
D_Davis wrote:
Cool.

When I played solo through the first trial, I had a random event every time I rolled the destiny dice! If that kept up, I'd burn through all the random events by the middle of the campaign. I just want to avoid the same things happening too many times.

If you were rolling doubles or triples of 1s or 6s every turn I would say that is an anomaly and you might not get the same experience next time. But even so, there are quite a lot of events in the book so it will be a while before you've seen them all (note that some events are more likely to occur than others, so you may see those a bit more frequently); and without a GM to surprise you, you really want the game to throw as many unexpected events at you as possible to keep you on your toes.

I suspect the easiest way to ramp the difficulty for Silver Tower would be to use the permanent grievous wound system from Hammerhal.

Do you actually own Hammerhal, by the way? If you do, swap in the new acolytes to Silver Tower. They layer up weapon combinations so they are harder across the board than the Silver Tower versions (for example, you can get acolytes with glaives and shields, rather than one or the other).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davis
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hammerhal will be arriving next week.

I'll be adding the adversaries at that time.

Has anyone made combined monster charts?

For ST, so far for extra monsters I have:

Herald of Tzeentch
Flamers
Exalted Flamer
Screamers

I wish they would make some rules for Skaven. I've got a ton of great minis from the Spire of Dawn box set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
D_Davis wrote:

Herald of Tzeentch
Flamers
Exalted Flamer
Screamers

I wish they would make some rules for Skaven. I've got a ton of great minis from the Spire of Dawn box set.

What do you mean by combined monster charts? Do you mean adversary generation tables containing all the new monsters? I'm not aware of any.

I just use the exotic adversaries whenever I get a chance on the table. They add some nice extra challenge. I have scanned, printed and laminated every adversary page, and when it's time for an exotic adversary I pull one at random. If you want to incorporate bloodreavers and blightkings in Silver Tower you can just have them as another exotic option whenever you roll on those charts.

Having said that, I was tinkering with some new adversary tables. I was going to scale them based on party level, and increase the frequency of the exotic adversaries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric L
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D_Davis wrote:

Herald of Tzeentch
Flamers
Exalted Flamer
Screamers

I have Spire of Dawn also, though not assembled yet. Would like to add Skaven from there in eventually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rathenau von Stahl
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
Don't limit random events either. They don't turn up that often, but they are essential to the flavour of the game, help to break up the combat, and make the game more challenging. Less random events = easier and less interesting.

Don't they? Because according to my math they do turn up that often.

Granted: my math is grabbing the chance for doubles or better on your first throw with five dice off of a Yahtzee website (90,6%) and taking 1/3 of that. Now getting a random event one in three turns is a lot to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.