Brian Jones
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I received my copy of the AE this past Tuesday evening, and already have a table covered in minis and painting supplies. I love most everything about the AE, and am very happy with my purchase, but there are a few of the minis that I knew I would need to touch up or repaint straight out of the box.

So, my questions for the AE owners out there are:

Which figures do you feel are not up to snuff paint wise? Which are you most happy with?

Do you plan on touching up or repainting any figures and what methods will you use to do so?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Graves
United States
Norwalk
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmb
I thought Saruman could have been better. Didnt care for the Ivory color cloak. I plan to paint the companions and minions and swap them in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jones
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gravey101 wrote:
I thought Saruman could have been better. Didnt care for the Ivory color cloak. I plan to paint the companions and minions and swap them in.

Yeah, his cloak almost looks dirty rather than "off-white", I'm not sure how to fix him up though so I am leaving him for last.

To answer my own questions, I thought the worst offenders were the Northmen regulars, Nazgul and companions - in that order. I think the Mouth looks pretty great, and most all of the Shadow units look pretty good with the standouts being the Mumakil, Southron regulars and Saruman's warg riders. I may just wash all the flesh tones of the free peoples units in Agrax and then touch up some of the metal/mithril armor with a dry brush of leadbelcher.

I have already given the companions skin tones a nice wash in Agrax Earthshade, along with some armor and weapon highlighting in Runefang Steel and Leadbelcher. I also washed the Nazgul with Nuln oil, including the rock the beast sits on (looks much better now). I thought the highlighting on the Nazgul was overdone and wanted to tone it down. I also added some red nostrils and mouth paint to the fell beasts, using Mephiston Red.

I'm currently working on the Northmen, and giving the horses of the Elven Elite a nice wash to tone down their color and add detail. I am trying to figure out how to improve the look of the "padded" armor the Northmen wear, I really hate the yellowish/flesh color they used on the armor.

Edit: All the paints I am referring to by name in this post are from Citadel's line
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genestealer Patriarch
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bclayj wrote:
I'm currently working on the Northmen, and giving the horses of the Elven Elite a nice wash to tone down their color and add detail. I am trying to figure out how to improve the look of the "padded" armor the Northmen wear, I really hate the yellowish/flesh color they used on the armor.

I would suggest a very watery wash of dark brown (leaving the yellowish base showing as a highlight), followed by a thin wash of black or very dark brown ink.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Graves
United States
Norwalk
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmb
please post some before and after pics Brian if possible...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jones
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gravey101 wrote:
please post some before and after pics Brian if possible...

Will do, I am hoping to be able to post most everything in next couple of days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.