Walts
Scotland
Kilwinning
flag msg tools
badge
The One Ring RPG
mbmbmbmbmb
Mannnnnyyyyy moons ago, when I had time to play, Letters from Whitechapel was a favorite
of mine to PbF, so I created a WiKi page for players to sign-up. DuneTDG is much easier to play
and moderate, so I'll be creating a new Wiki page for this game to help encourage others to play
online, or help run ...

Dune: The Dice Game | Play by Forum (Guidelines & Sign-Up)

This will get the ball running, but have a look at these WiKi's for other games I've played &
moderated over the years to give you an idea what it's all about and please comment below...

Letters from Whitechapel

Eldritch Horror

May we have many glorious battles together, my friends ... Walts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MyO the HedgeFox
Russia
flag msg tools
The Verse flows throughout Aquaria. Through each ripple and wave, through every living being, The Verse binds us all as one.
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ll try to edit it based on our completed game after you complete it. Formatting check will be also on me. =)

Useful stuff from past game:

Gorlab wrote:
It's difficult for me to post much from work, and I do a lot of gaming
at night with friends/family, so producing a gameboard every turn start is
all I can offer.

Ideally, players need to think of a single style/format (final) post of
their own houses to keep referencing moves easy, something like this ...

1st Player: Selwyth (House Corrino)
... Leader, 1 Troop, 1 Sardaukar & 3 Spice all on your Faction card.
... Supply: 7 Troops & 3 Sardaukar.
... Leader: Padishah Emperor Shaddam IV [Str(3)].
... Loyalty Token: One.

... so we all know key information after their move? .... Walts

MyOtheHedgeFox wrote:
Let’s agree how the battles will be going this turn.

Before the battle, any player with the ally(allies) shall ask them whether they will offer their Leaders to be used in the fight. Unused Leaders will be returned unspent – they are great for bluffing.

IMO, at the Game Master’s mention and private messages, both players shall privately message the Game Master saying which troops and leader(s) they will commit to the battle. These will be lost regardless of the result.

At the reveal, each party, starting with the attacker as per the rules, has a chance to publicly reveal a Loyalty token of his opponent(s) for Defection. Only committed troops can be affected by Defection. An ally’s Loyalty token cannot be used.

Once the forces are compared, the side with the highest combined strength of committed troops and leaders wins the match. In case of a tie, defenders win. The losing side loses all of their troops, even those that are not committed.

In a nutshell:
0. Ask for aliies if they offer their leaders for the battle.
1. Both sides (Attacker and Defender) secretly PM the Game Master to commit the troops.
2. On reveal via Game Master, both sides starting with the Attacker can publicly reveal a Loyalty token for Defection.
3. The strongest committed side wins, the opposing side loses all units. On tie, Defender wins.

Also, if one faction invades a region with more than one faction present, the faction that took the turn most recently is considered to be the Defender. Going last is more beneficial in this respect. The Defender can use this to dump his “allies’” units (can synergize well with the Spacing Guild’s Evacuation ability and blatant negotiation)?
_

House Atreides starts with 1 Loyalty Token, but may gain more as usual or with Honorable Duel. Tokens gained before the resolution of combat through Honorable Duel can be used immediately.

Each Atreides leader costs 1 Faction symbol. You must freeze a Caltrop symbol to be able to recruit a second leader.
_

Corrino Sardaukar are protected from Defection, Kanly and Shai-Hulud if regular Corrino troops are present (based on Heiko Guenther’s answers in Q&A topics; doublecheck?). Also, units of other factions defecting to Corrino cannot turn into Sardaukar if regular Corrino troops are available in reserve.

House Corrino’s Spice reserves cannot be replenished through leftover reserve Spice. However, you can replenish it using Harvesters. 3rd leftover Spice unit is ineffective, and leaving more than 3 leftover Spice is wasteful.
_

Fremen’s A Storm Is Coming ability is not obligatory.

Fremen can recruit a free unit on their every turn; every next one requires 2 Faction symbols on their turn. However, recruiting a leader still requires only one Faction symbol.

A Fremen attack paired with a Defection in their favor can be devastating – especially when combined with Atreides’ Honorable Duel ability.
_

House Harkonnen’s Infiltration ability is not obligatory, and may be ignored intentionally to hamper your ally.

House Harkonnen’s Peter De Vries cannot attack Corrino Sardaukar or Fremen units at all (i.e. all double units are invulnerable to him). However, any other unit is never safe.

Harkonnen’s real strength in alliance is their leader who is worth 4 units in battle -- if they agree to use it after all. Bene Tleilaxu may be very useful.

At the start of the game, House Harkonnen moves an Asset to their starting non-crucial region from another region. If their region already contains an Asset, swap them between the two regions. Harkonnen cannot take the asset from the Atreides-occupied region.
_

Bene Gesserit are protected from Kanly, but not from Peter De Vries.

Bene Gesserit’s Culminating Plans ability takes one of the Faction tokens out of the game completely. Only individual victory counts.

Bene Gesserit must freeze a Caltrop symbol to be able to use the Voice. Always have a retreat plan when the words fail.

Don’t always screw up your allies as the Bene Gesserit. You know which one not to screw up. Try to be the one occupying the crucial region you want your quarry to take.

When two Factions had an alliance and share a region, you can forcibly infiltrate this region with the Voice and force the two to exterminate each other – one as your involuntary ally who cannot escape, another your involuntary enemy.
_

Bene Tleilaxu’s Face Dancers ability may be activated multiple times – you gain one Loyalty token for each Caltrop symbol frozen. You will have to discard down to 1 Loyalty token at the end of the turn. Consider using this to attack a large (especially mixed) force with a smaller force: each Defection shifts the balance of power in your favor by 2 units (enemy loses 1, you gain 1). Fremen will suffer dreadfully against this tactic.

Bene Tleilaxu’s Ghola ability may not be used in the middle of combat to “clone” leader tokens for the battle. However, it may be used after combat or even between combats if you have any leftover spice from the Shipping step.
_

Spacing Guild’s leader is weak, but you can “bribe” other factions (even your former allies if the dice are disagreeing) into losing the battle for you with your Evactuation ability. No agreements are binding, but be ready to call your bluff. It costs nothing.

You can pull your allies close to you through Shipping Authority if you have enough spice. Other players when allied with you may do the same. Basically, it’s an additional Move step where every region has a Thopter. Find those who are in dire need of reinforcing before battle.
_

Smugglers can be chosen as Allies at any time -- you need just one any Faction symbol to do so. Every Smuggler unit costs 2 Spice to ship, but they can open you ways into the abandoned regions and may be particularly useful for surprising alliance victories after a large and devastating combat.

Smugglers recruit their leader immediately by rolling the Caltrop symbol; however, the leader must be discarded at the end of their turn and cannot be used during other player’s turn. Still, he is strong – use him to conserve units.
_

Ally can:
provide the current player their Alliance ability (no consent -- but Heiko possibly said that on agreement?!),
recruit units based on available faction symbols (no consent),
ship to any regions of ally/current player's presence and the Polar Sink (on mutual agreement, may be different from current player’s shipment targets, current player pays costs),
move to the target region as applicable (no consent, no way to stop this),
provide leader(s) for combat (on agreement).

Ally cannot:
provide the current player their other abilities;
provide the current player their Loyalty or Shield token;
store Spice.
recruit leaders.
_

Solitary victory: sole control of 3 crucial regions (no other factions present -- use Kanly or similar abilities to wipe away the weaker regions).
Solitary victory can be activated only by the current player.
Quote:
The game ends early when, at the end of their (the player’s) turn, a player is in sole control of 3 strategic Regions.

Alliance victory: mutual control of 4 regions (regions with both Factions present count; regions with other Factions present in them don’t count).
If the current player has sole control of 3 regions (with no allied troops present in them) and the ally has 1, Solitary victory ensues instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walts
Scotland
Kilwinning
flag msg tools
badge
The One Ring RPG
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice roundup of the key FaQ's that are scattered about the forums! thumbsup

Walts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MyO the HedgeFox
Russia
flag msg tools
The Verse flows throughout Aquaria. Through each ripple and wave, through every living being, The Verse binds us all as one.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can even make the upgraded Faction cards with these included. I basically made these in Russian already. All of the above are taken from my translation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walts
Scotland
Kilwinning
flag msg tools
badge
The One Ring RPG
mbmbmbmbmb
Dune The Dice Game : The Dice Must Flow : PbF Guidelines & Sign-Up - Updated!
Thanks MyO, but I'd uploaded the Faction Cards a while ago, so, as Moderator,
everything was online for me to keep track of things ...

Faction Cards: https://boardgamegeek.com/images/user/394351/gorlab

Also, stage one of the WiKi - DuneTDG has been updated ...

Dune: The Dice Game | Play by Forum (Guidelines & Sign-Up)

... With so few players onboard, players in the waiting lists will probably
be left in as we (hopefully!) gather more to the cause!

I've uploaded a Photoshop (PSD) & JPeGs zipfiles for those wanting to have
local copies of everything, or Mod. Could be awhile before released, being
the weekend ... Walts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MyO the HedgeFox
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good. I’ll try to reply in the PbF #2 and edit the wiki next week. Too busy this weekend. =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.