Power Grid: The First Sparks» Forums » Rules

Subject: Last Man Standing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Sorken
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
Just played a game for the first time, there was three of us. I started with 1 on the board. First turn I got fire and spread once. Second turn, I bought speech. Than I realized my mistake - The only food production I had was 'Herb', and I would eventually get down to one on the board and one food per turn. With no food in my stock, what happens?

From reading as written, I would perpetually, for the rest of the game, only have one person on the board and nothing else that I could do. Am I correct? Is there something we are missing in the rules about this situation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct, you are stuck at one for the rest of the game and can't do anything about it. The rules even have a section explicitly warning you against having the same or more tribesmen on the board than the amount of food you can make.

Your only hope is that the lowest card on offer costs only 1 food, so that you can get it for free (remember that the lowest card gets 1 food on it, which can be applied to its own cost).

I've also seen others play with a houserule that lets you remove extra tribesmen (beyond the amount you are forced to remove due to starvation) in order to build up food and come back into the game. Although I imagine at this point, you would be so far behind anyway it probably wouldn't make a difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

Yes, if you're going to take fire early in the game you have to manage your 'income' very carefully until you have a new tool that allows you to get more food.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is specifically called out in the rulebook as a strategic pitfall to avoid, I believe. Do not do this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.