Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kaede Farenheit
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there guys

I bought Arcadia Quest and the maximum amount of people for this game is 4 but we are 5 guys in our gaming group.

I was looking for a way to play with more than 4 players with no real luck.. I found some files which tried to achieve a more "interactive" experience with mobs... and then I thought about it.

Why not make a campaign of 4 guild players and 1 bad guy player? Has anyone tried something like this? I'm completely new and maybe it's a stupid idea, but it could be an interesting experience, don't you think?

I mean, 4 guilds playing against de DM and agains themselves... it would feel different from a dungeon crawler game since each player would be on its own. I don't think the DM experience would be similar to descent or Imperial Assault because he would be one player more in the game, not just the player everybody fights against.

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan - FOR THE GLORY!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well .. why not play Super Dungeon Explore then? ;-)

It seems rather hard to add a DM when you are already doing PvPvPvP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaede Farenheit
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because I don't own Super dungeon explore xD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav W
Sweden
Lund
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it requires a complete overhaul, expect extensive play testing.

It would be easier to add a 5th guild instead. The maps would get weird though but it would be doable with some changing of start locations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Teowulff wrote:
Well .. why not play Super Dungeon Explore then?

Completely different game, completely different play style, completely different rules. Unless he bought Arcadia Quest purely for the style of miniature, why would SDE be a good recommendation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teowulff wrote:
Well .. why not play Super Dungeon Explore then? ;-)

It seems rather hard to add a DM when you are already doing PvPvPvP.

Masmorra would be a better option if he was going to but a whole new game. At least it's compatible.

Aq was never really designed for someone to play the dm. I guess you could, but there are not a lot of choices to be made and no progression for the monsters like there is for the other players. The person playing that role would get bored rather quickly I think

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan - FOR THE GLORY!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
Teowulff wrote:

Completely different game, completely different play style, completely different rules.
Unless he bought Arcadia Quest purely for the style of miniature, why would SDE be a good recommendation?

Apparently he likes the style and he wants to play with a Dungeon Master.
Personally I like SDE, most with a DM (consul) and 4 players.

Hence I recommend it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My take was the OP was more about how to make AQ work with 5 players than he was trying to find any DM game or OVM game.

I think with some tweaking and house rules he could make something work in AQ, especially if he invents a DM phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
Teowulff wrote:

Completely different game, completely different play style, completely different rules. Unless he bought Arcadia Quest purely for the style of miniature, why would SDE be a good recommendation?

Because he's asking for AQ to be a completely different game. A one-vs-all game is quite different from a multiplayer competitive game.

You'd need to make a campaign goal for the players to win and a way for the single player to cause all the players to lose. You'd need new rules for the monster movement and how many can activate.

I'm not saying don't give it a go, but I will say there are other games out there designed specifically for this, instead of AQ which is a multiplayer arena combat game with a dungeon crawl aesthetic.

I agree, too, that SDE is a good version of the former with even cuter chibi minis

That said, to be more help to the OP without resorting to recommending a different game, I'd look at SDE's Classic rules from the current beta or the fan-made Loot-i-meter rules as inspiration for some rules to change it into what you're looking for if you want to go this route.

If you're just looking for ways to make this five player, I'd recommend a different game, but say if you're all pretty casual do teams and have multiple players running different models within the same guild.

EDIT: OP, I just saw someone post a picture of a modified 5-player game of AQ, but I cannot find it now. You may want to track that down and contact the poster
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaede Farenheit
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks let's see if he answers.

I just wanted to make room for a fifth player and adding a 5th guild seemed diffcult...

So I thought that maybe using a player to control the "bad guy" while keeping everything intact could be a way of doing it.

It ended up being a 4 player game this night and we switched to another board game when the fifth guy arrived.

Thanks anyway!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.