Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I haven't read it. So I don't know what's actually going on over there. But I think I have a pretty good idea. There have been plenty of similar threads one here over the years. And I just don't want to get involved. Those kinds of threads tend to make me feel grouchy and unhappy. I've got plenty of other things going on in my life that can do that, and this site is supposed to do the opposite.

So on that note, I think I'll go get some lunch.

And I've got game night scheduled with friends tonight. So that should be awesome. And after that's over, I get to go pick up my beautiful wife from the airport after her week-long "girls night out". So that should be nice too. Lot's of things to be happy about. Why mess it up getting into an internet argument about... anything. Yeah, I think I'll stay away from that thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmb
Okay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy (Other Amy)
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Probably for the better. (Best would have been if you had managed to ignore it completely.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
amyotheramy wrote:
Probably for the better. (Best would have been if you had managed to ignore it completely.)

Well, it's been front and center on the front page "Forums" section for a couple days now. Kinda hard to not notice it. I know, I could modify my settings for the front page, but I've had them in the default for so long, it's kinda hard to imagine them any differently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy (Other Amy)
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
There are all kinds of threads on my front page that I personally feel no desire or obligation to click on. YMMV, of course.

P.S. I like the XYZ theme on your microbadges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
mbmbmbmbmb
TIM0THY wrote:
amyotheramy wrote:

Well, it's been front and center on the front page "Forums" section for a couple days now. Kinda hard to not notice it. I know, I could modify my settings for the front page, but I've had them in the default for so long, it's kinda hard to imagine them any differently.

Wow. Just. Wow. This couldn't possibly be more of a 'you' problem if it tried. So you started a new thread, to complain about another thread YOU NEVER EVEN READ and with the full knowledge that if you didn't want to see it in your current feed, that this free site gives you to customize, and you just /waves hands around.

Honestly. I'd rather wade into the muck that is the pimping thread; it least it provided actual debate and engagement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
amyotheramy wrote:

P.S. I like the XYZ theme on your microbadges.

Thanks!

amyotheramy wrote:

There are all kinds of threads on my front page that I personally feel no desire or obligation to click on. YMMV, of course.

Haha- that's a good point. I guess I felt compelled to bring this up because normally I probably would have clicked on that thread and read through it, possibly contributing. But ever since it popped up the other day, whenever I look at it I just think, "I really don't want to get caught up in all that."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
sweetgotham wrote:
This couldn't possibly be more of a 'you' problem if it tried.

I'd rather wade into the muck that is the pimping thread; it least it provided actual debate and engagement.

I didn't realize I had a problem. I just wanted to share my thoughts. I figured that would be ok. I don't think there's a site requirement that every thread has to provide debate and engagement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
TIM0THY wrote:
sweetgotham wrote:

I'd rather wade into the muck that is the pimping thread; it least it provided actual debate and engagement.

I didn't realize I had a problem. I just wanted to share my thoughts. I figured that would be ok. I don't think there's a site requirement that every thread has to provide debate and engagement.

You're dead wrong. There is a site requirement that every thread has to provide debate and engagement. I can't find it now, but it exists.

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
mbmbmbmbmb
TIM0THY wrote:
sweetgotham wrote:

It doesn't but what was the point of you posting this, were you expecting the mods to take down the pimping thread? I'm just totally mystified by it and why it's in this forum specifically. And what your 'hot wife' coming back from trip has to do with you saying you don't like something you see but don't actually know about. *so many questions*. Like, I get there are a lot of ways people like to use and interact with site but this is certainly pretty novel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude, don't start threads to complain about other threads. Now you're just going to instigate certain pranksters to create more meta-joke threads with subjects like:

That thread about that thread about "Pimping"

:/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
TIM0THY wrote:
amyotheramy wrote:

Well, it's been front and center on the front page "Forums" section for a couple days now. Kinda hard to not notice it.

Web advertisers must love you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Dude, don't start threads to complain about other threads. Now you're just going to instigate certain pranksters to create more meta-joke threads with subjects like:

What's even worse is that post about that thread about that thread about pimping. robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
russ wrote:

I generally find those kinds of threads amusing. But maybe I'm in the minority. Do they bother you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
s3kt0r wrote:
TIM0THY wrote:
amyotheramy wrote:

Well, it's been front and center on the front page "Forums" section for a couple days now. Kinda hard to not notice it.

Web advertisers must love you.

Point taken.

In fact, sometimes I do click on ads here on BGG, when they interest me. Ads on Facebook?- not so much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TIM0THY wrote:
russ wrote:

I generally find those kinds of threads amusing. But maybe I'm in the minority. Do they bother you?

They get old fast and are not nearly as funny/clever as they think they are. And since part of your complaint seems to be annoying threads cluttering up the front page...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
sweetgotham wrote:
TIM0THY wrote:
sweetgotham wrote:

what was the point of you posting this, were you expecting the mods to take down the pimping thread?

Certainly not. My point was just to express my dissatisfaction with the general tone that often arises in threads like that. It hadn't occurred to me that by doing so I would upset you or anyone else. I thought maybe others who felt similarly would offer similar thoughts on the matter.

Quote:
I'm just totally mystified by it and why it's in this forum specifically.

I figured a meta comment about a BGG thread would be best shared in this forum. I'm certainly open to suggestions on where to post a thread like this next time around. I considered the Chit Chat forum. Do you think that would have been a better choice?

Quote:
And what your 'hot wife' coming back from trip has to do with you saying you don't like something you see but don't actually know about.

I was trying to come up with a list of positive things going on in my life that I could focus on as an alternative to participating in that thread, since my assumption was that participating in that thread would likely have a negative effect on my outlook, rather than a positive one.

Maybe my choice to mention my wife was in poor taste. It didn't seem like it. Does anyone else feel like it was?

Quote:
*so many questions*. Like, I get there are a lot of ways people like to use and interact with site but this is certainly pretty novel.

Is it really so strange for me to start a thread where I simply share my feelings about what's happening on the site at the moment? It didn't seem like a bad choice at the time. I mean, I've seen many people do it before. In retrospect, however, I'm beginning to think that it was, indeed, a poor choice on my part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW it's funny that I had no idea what thread you were talking about. I don't see it on my front page, and when I used forum search for "pimping" to find it, this meta-thread was the first result, instead of that thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguins Performance Project feat.
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmbmb
First they started an argument in General Gaming, but I did not read it, for I was not active in General Gaming.

Then they started an argument in BGG General about the argument in General Gaming, but I did not read it, for I was not active in BGG General.

Then they started an argument in BGG Help and How-To about the argument in BGG General about the argument in General Gaming, but I did not read it, for I was not active in BGG Help and How-To.

Then they started an argument in BGG Suggestions about the argument in BGG Help and How-To about the argument in BGG General about the argument in General Gaming, but I did not read it, for I was not active in BGG Suggestions.

Then I was ambushed by a dinosaur or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
BTW it's funny that I had no idea what thread you were talking about. I don't see it on my front page, and when I used forum search for "pimping" to find it, this meta-thread was the first result, instead of that thread.

I forgot I could edit what is served on the front page. Thanks to your reminder, I have nuked nearly everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cap'n Ginger
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
mbmbmbmbmb
"I don't like this thing, so I'm going to ignore it and not read it and not talk about it. Look how hard I'm not talking about it. I'm not talking about it so hard that I had to make a post about how hard I'm not talking about it."

shake

TIM0THY wrote:
Maybe my choice to mention my wife was in poor taste. It didn't seem like it. Does anyone else feel like it was?

It's immensely ironic that the OP in the pimping thread can be summarized as, "Someone said something that made me consider whether my use of the word pimping was in poor taste. Does anyone else feel like it was?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl McLaurine
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At first, I thought this was about my favorite game: Pimp: The Backhanding laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
REFEREE MADNESS
badge
I'm wasting your time!
mbmbmbmbmb
TIM0THY wrote:
And I just don't want to get involved.

Kardashian-ism

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Varela
Chile
Santiago
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm too lazy to look for it, and it seems I'm missing something interesting (more tan likely not, but I'm curious).

Any charitable soul kind enough to add the link to the "Pimp" thread?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nvarela wrote:
I'm too lazy to look for it

Welcome, new user! "SEARCH Forums" at the top of the screen is your friend!

It is also much faster than typing a comment asking someone to do it for you and waiting until someone replies!

But here you go:

Is using the term "pimping" offensive?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.