Cleric By Dinnertime
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So is Jeff Bezos trying to sell more flashlights on Amazon or what?

No but in all seriousness, Washington Post just came out with a new slogan: Democracy Dies in Darkness. I just wanted to know what people's thoughts are on this new slogan. Washington Post is generally well respected (at least on the left) so I thought this slogan was out of place.

In my view it sounds conceited based on the idea that WaPo is the light keeping our democracy alive. And it also implies that we're on the verge of losing our democracy. This seems as ridiculous as when I thought Obama was a super secret Iranian terrorist double agent bent on destroying the modern western world.

So do people think WaPo's new slogan is good or bad? Is it too "dark" to be considered a quality slogan? Heck, is our democracy really dying?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is a little too negative. I would have gone with something more like "The only security of all is in a free press" - Thomas Jefferson.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Different people have different ideas of what it means for a democracy to be functional. Places that we consider autocracies hold elections too: It's just that voter suppression and government attacks on the opposition make the autocrat stay in power forever.

The US is not anywhere near one of those autocracies, but there are plenty of instances of lack of representation that make me call it a very flawed democracy. Gerrymandering of the levels that we see in Philadelphia and North Carolina is a threat to democracy. So is voting legislation passed to dissuade people from voting. For most people, this is all just inside baseball, so you need a press that talks about these things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're putting the wrong read on it. I see "Darkness" referring to lack of knowledge. People need to read news from different sources, talk to one another, and use their own brains rather than just listening to the "facts" coming from the White House or some Tweets from a certain insomniac.

So "Democracy Dies in Darkness" feels more like a warning to me. "Go out and find the facts to keep Democracy alive!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cleric By Dinnertime
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sodaklady wrote:
I think you're putting the wrong read on it. I see "Darkness" referring to lack of knowledge. People need to read news from different sources, talk to one another, and use their own brains rather than just listening to the "facts" coming from the White House or some Tweets from a certain insomniac.

So "Democracy Dies in Darkness" feels more like a warning to me. "Go out and find the facts to keep Democracy alive!"

Yeah, but why not use the positive slogan you use at the end? We're always complaining about fear mongering and I can't help but feel like this is no exception. Due to all of the new ways to get information/news these days, this seems like an attempt by WaPo to keep us relying on them vs. all of the other mediums. "Informed community, thriving Democracy" would be much better or any of the other ones so far stated in this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kamigira wrote:

Yeah, but why not use the positive slogan you use at the end? "Informed community, thriving Democracy" would be much better or any of the other ones so far stated in this thread.

It doesn't have the same emotional impact, which is clearly The Post's intent. I don't see it as fear mongering so much as a call to arms.

It also has beautiful alliteration and cadence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
kamigira wrote:
sodaklady wrote:

Yeah, but why not use the positive slogan you use at the end? We're always complaining about fear mongering and I can't help but feel like this is no exception. Due to all of the new ways to get information/news these days, this seems like an attempt by WaPo to keep us relying on them vs. all of the other mediums. "Informed community, thriving Democracy" would be much better or any of the other ones so far stated in this thread.

Yes, it's dark and negative, but it's also short, to the point and dramatic. Besides, I think with all the crap going on, with all the serious topics being played with so loosely by our government and our representatives, it needs to be serious, dark and dramatic. It needs to slap people in the face to get their attention away from twitter and Facebook as their news sources.

Think of movie titles. Would Fighting in the Forest for Freedom be more likely to get attention than Battle of the Bulge? Maybe, but not as catchy. How about A Big Boat Defeats Aliens versus Battleship? laugh Ah, now you know what movies I like to watch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the phrase is much too pessimistic about the frailty of democracy. A slogan that would better match my beliefs, although it would be less powerful than the Post's, would be Democracy Dims in Darkness. "Dies" implies an end. The suggestion that once democracy is defeated it is gone for good is, I believe, unwarranted. Darkness may diminish, or even shut down democracy, but democracy will reignite, in a new time or a new place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
actuaryesquire wrote:
but democracy will reignite, in a new time or a new place.

Oh no, democracies die all the time. New democracies are born, but there's been plenty that have been snuffed out. The Post isn't talking about the abstract concept, they're talking about the Madisonian/Hamiltonian instance that we're living in right here right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
https://www.reddit.com/r/PoliticalHumor/comments/5yfoo7/good...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
I think democracy is impossible without a well-informed populace. If people believe nonsense, they'll vote for a demagogue who will pander to that nonsense.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Like, say, "global warming is a Chinese hoax" or "terrorists are flooding into America disguised as refugees"

If the press won't call politicians on their lies, who will?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
actuaryesquire wrote:
I think the phrase is much too pessimistic about the frailty of democracy. A slogan that would better match my beliefs, although it would be less powerful than the Post's, would be Democracy Dims in Darkness. "Dies" implies an end. The suggestion that once democracy is defeated it is gone for good is, I believe, unwarranted. Darkness may diminish, or even shut down democracy, but democracy will reignite, in a new time or a new place.

I think you, and others, are reading it far too negatively.

When they say "Democracy dies in darkness" I am sure they don't mean dead for good, dies. They are more thinking along the lines of diminishment to nothing as in "love dies" or maybe just stopping working as in "my car died this morning".

Also as a slogan it is a positive one. It is positioning themselves as the light in the darkness. It is a celebration of their position as one of the many (at the moment) light-bringers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mb
Democracy is being killed for months now in Turkey, thoroughly threaded by Mr. Erdogan himself.

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/turkish-democracy-at-risk-o...

I can't help finding it possible, that the "Putsch" was staged, to get the ball rolling.

Half of Turkey stands behind him, because they are uneducated and disinformed.
They agree that their democracy is being abolished, how oblivious can they be shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.