Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Wardell
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
May 25
badge
I think you ought to know I'm feeling very depressed.
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy of High Frontier arrived today, so I pulled out my 2nd Edition (including ) copy to do a comparison.

The box is much larger (and very heavy). (3rd Edition, left; 2nd Edition, right)

The single board map is slightly larger than the 2nd Edition map (my 2nd Edition map is framed because it is usually hanging on my wall). (3rd Edition, bottom; 2nd Edition, top)

On the other side of each board is a larger map, which is much bigger than the 2nd Edition. (3rd Edition, bottom; 2nd Edition, top)

On the back of the second board is the Interstellar map. (3rd Edition, bottom; 2nd Edition, top)

The player boards are fairly similar graphically, but the 3rd Edition are on cardboard instead of paper, and are double sided (basic game on one side, and advanced on the other). (3rd Edition, left; 2nd Edition, right)

The Colonization board appears to be the same, but is printed on a separate cardboard piece instead of the back of the rulebook. (3rd Edition, left; 2nd Edition, right)

There are four rulebooks included, and they are much nicer looking. Colonization includes the rules for the game (67 pages). Interstellar includes the rules for the solo game (27 pages). The Reference Guide includes variants, strategy, and background (63 pages). The Training Guide has a Walkthrough and Mission Guide (23 pages). (3rd Edition, left; 2nd Edition, right)

The rulebooks appear to be formatted better, and are in color. (3rd Edition, left; 2nd Edition, right)

It looks like there are about 50% more cards (I haven't opened the sealed decks yet. (3rd Edition, left; 2nd Edition, right)

There are more plastic/wooden components, it looks like there are different components for all the different functions; so you don't have to use the same components for several different things. It seems really minor, but I like the blue water tokens much better than the clear. There are beads and discs, and I'm not sure what the difference is yet. (3rd Edition, left; 2nd Edition, right)

I have regretted backing the KickStarter several times, but I am very happy with the product I (finally) received.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Lund
Denmark
Århus
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yes, Beware the Geek bringing gifts!
mbmbmbmbmb
That looks great!

I'm psyched to get mine soon, I hope

Thanks for doing this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raoul Duke
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
We can't stop here. This is bat country!
mbmbmbmbmb
Khedron wrote:
There are beads and discs, and I'm not sure what the difference is yet. (3rd Edition, left; 2nd Edition, right)

The discs are used for a variety of things-- marking busted claims, rocket stack dry mass, net thrust, etc.

The beads are used for tracking water supply, both as currency and as propellant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Denison
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
Khedron wrote:
I like the blue water tokens much better than the clear. There are beads and discs, and I'm not sure what the difference is yet.

They explained this in an update last summer:

We decided to use clear blue beads as water tokens, thinking that they would be preferable for game play, being easier to pick up off the board.  Drake, a High Frontier play-tester, gave us very adamant feedback that making the water tokens stackable was more important than ease of handling.  Because we had originally listed the beads as an upgrade for this version of the game, and because some backers voiced upset at the change, we decided to include both the beads and the flat transparent disks.  This has apparently caused at least one backer to be upset over the fact that the game inventory on the print material does not reflect this inclusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarvis
United States
Brisbane
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone mind giving a little rundown of content and gameplay differences between 2nd edition and 3rd edition? Or point me to a thread I didn't manage to find through searching?

I have 2nd edition, and haven't played it nearly enough to justify buying the 3rd edition unless there are some immensely important changes that I am unaware of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Roessler
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Why were we not in the movie?
mbmbmbmbmb
Jarvis, reading the review by Scraimer below in the forums is probably your best bet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarvis
United States
Brisbane
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beorndog wrote:
Jarvis, reading the review by Scraimer below in the forums is probably your best bet.

Reading through Scraimer's various posts, here is the most useful one I found describing the differences between 2e and 3e: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/19759601#19759601. Fairly significant in terms of physical differences between copies.

Based on his review, he seemed most excited about the fact that 3e is significantly easier to teach, which is certainly attractive to me, and increases the odds that I just buy a copy of 3e while it's available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Tine'
Italy
Genoa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have played many HF games with 2nd edition (latest living rules) and then 3rd edition via Vassal. It is somewhat impossible to disentangle the myriad little fixes, clarifications and updates between what one could still call 2nd edition and the newer 3rd edition.

However, some major changes can easily be pointed out, as they involve changes in game components:

1) the are more cards (patents)

2) there are alternative (radical) versions of the crew cards

3) revisited glories and achievements in 2 variants

4) lander burns

5) a completely new fuel strip

6) interstellar map included in the box

Personally I like to play with all optional modules included (colonists, bernals, combat etc) and highly recommend the 3rd edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Skov
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I managed to find Andrew Doull's complete list of changes from 2nd edition here:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iusKNU_rMX96FWQ5K18nOAaZ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3rd edition is a significant upgrade to the rules - the fuel strip and lander burns alone would justify an upgrade to me, but the card changes, alternate crew, glory cards, extra patents etc. are all great inclusions.

In terms of actual gameplay changes - High Frontier is still High Frontier. The rules are better written, exceptions have been removed, and so forth, but it's still a heavy, obtuse beast of a thing, that is ultimately deep and highly rewarding.

Really happy to see this existing, can't wait until a couple of weeks before the EU shipping starts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koens
United States
Watsonville
California
flag msg tools
badge
marks the spot.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! This looks great!

So, if you weren't a kickstarter (like me) how would you go about purchasing a copy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xelvonar wrote:
So, if you weren't a kickstarter (like me) how would you go about purchasing a copy?

Someone else may have a better idea but you can ask Cool Stuff Inc to email you when the game becomes available: link.

ACD is accepting preorders now but that doesn't mean you will get the game any faster from them. I haven't heard of ACD before. Also, the price is much lower at CSI.

edit: ADC --> ACD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Roessler
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Why were we not in the movie?
mbmbmbmbmb
Could they be wholesaler distributors?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beorndog wrote:
Could they be wholesaler distributors?
Makes sense.

Here is the One Small Step preorder page but again, CSI has a better price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Cleary
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CSI has no copies and no way to order that I can see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BigD145 wrote:
CSI has no copies and no way to order that I can see.

That's why I said you can ask Cool Stuff Inc to email you when the game becomes available. AFAIK, NOBODY has the game in stock yet. I believe the plan was to fulfill the KS orders first.

Some companies will let you preorder even if the game is not in stock and they have no idea when they will get it. Jamey Stegmaier recently went through this with Charterstone which isn't even fully designed yet. He made some inquiries to the distributors (or something) and this led to some stores offering it for preorder!

If you want the game ASAP then I suggest you try to get it through OSS (or maybe from a disgruntled KS backer via ebay or the geek market). If you want to get it for under MSRP then I suggest you sign up to get notified by CSI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Does anyone know if this game will go through retail channel? I'm so tempted to get the game from the official site now but i'll have to pay a premium for shipping which could lead to a 40% increase in price offered by my local online store (that they say their suppliers have the game on the product list but don't know the exact release date). I don't wanna miss this one again.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Cleary
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CSI has changed their prices before. Right now no distributor has a ship date or any price but msrp. They have no copies or any new info from OSS. After the KS and preorders on the OSS site last year, before printing, I suspect they upped their print run a couple hundred and that is it. They have 90 or fewer copies left unsold. Buy now or you may never see a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I think I'll wait till my local game store confirms they actually have not preordered any copies OR if the stock drops below 60 I'll immediately grab one just to be sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Schmidt
msg tools
mb
jarviskj3 wrote:
Anyone mind giving a little rundown of content and gameplay differences between 2nd edition and 3rd edition? Or point me to a thread I didn't manage to find through searching?

I have 2nd edition, and haven't played it nearly enough to justify buying the 3rd edition unless there are some immensely important changes that I am unaware of.

Not to toot my own horn, but here are my own impressions from trying 3rd.

The two big differences are:

1. The fuel strip is a massive upgrade to the old fuel diagram. It's much, much easier to plot a mission. That and the landing burns. No more weird mental math as you try to add a number to burns times efficiencies...

2. The "Colonization" version is much more playable. As in "Play 5P solo all modules plus more complexity from a variant, all without losing your mind" playable. While Colonization is somewhat of a different experience, at least it's more of an available one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ACD is a distributor. They backed one of the sponsored Kickstarter counter sheets for OGRE a few years ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Alan Hatcher
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my copy a few days ago. I haven't opened it yet, but wow, is that box heavy! It's going to be fun handing it to people like it's a normal box and watching their reaction to its true weight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Manson
France
Istres
Bouches du Rhone
flag msg tools
badge
I can buy a 2nd edition copy with one expansion and with the original poster size map for less than €80.

Is it okay to invest in this edition or should I wait for the retail release of the 3rd edition?? (I know, it's a stupid question!! )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no idea whether it's worth waiting for the retail release, but 3rd edition is the better game.

There's not a huge amount of differences, but what's there is important, and some of them are not changes that are easy to port backwards to 2nd ed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.