United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Police Precinct has been on many top 10 lists for the the Dice Tower over the years.

Ole Steiness alerted me yesterday to the fact that this has happened again.

In fact it happened twice in one day!

This Top-10 list was for "Games we Want to see as Legacy Games"

On the panel was (left to right) Z, Tom, and Sam.

Fairly early in the show Sam Healey listed it as his #9 (see at the 9:30 minute mark).

Then later in the show Tom Vasel listed it as his #2 (see 45:19)

Here's the link to the show:

https://youtu.be/QshGUku2VP4

Ok, so let's start with this...

Each and every time Police Precinct has been on any Top-10 list it is a very flattering and exciting moment for Ole and Common Man Games (and everyone associated with it). I can't stress that enough.

So, this was really fun to see and hear, especially since it got on both Sam and Tom's list, WOW!

Very cool!!!

Sssssoooooo...

Moving on from there, this does beg the question of IF we are going to even consider such an undertaking.

Answer:

YES!

To be honest, it's really well beyond something we would consider.

We have been working on this idea for several years now, in fact before any Legacy games existed we had this idea cooking (in a slightly different form that did not involve the full Legacy treatment). As legacy games have come into the picture, we have become VERY interested in this and how Police Precinct specifically could be given this treatment.

The whole question of how openly we want to be about this idea is also something we had not fully flushed out. As recently as yesterday (prior to seeing the Dice Tower video) I was saying to an industry insider "We are looking at coming out with 'Police Precinct: Legacy' but please keep it on the down-low as we are not ready to make any real announcements about this yet."

I sort of feel like continuing to keep this concept on the down-low, but on the other hand, Ole and I could also likely benefit from opening this topic up for wider discussion, and that's what I'm choosing to do here.

So, once again, let's look at the question of if this will happen, but change it from would we consider doing this over to...

Will this actually happen?

KARL FENNER:
"I would say that this will happen. I think it's just too good of an idea not to."

TOM VASEL:
"You know that they'll probably make this one."
"Of all the ones on this list, I feel like Police Precinct: Legacy has the highest posibility of being made."
"I think the designer would go 'that's a good idea' and he would make it."

(see 46:37 in)
Effectively Tom is saying that he feels this is the #1 most likely existing game to actually become a Legacy game.

OLE STEINESS:
in response to Tom's comments Ole says (in the comments section of the video)...
"Police Precinct Legacy? That's a good idea, I would make it."

SAM HEALEY:
In response to Tom's comments about Ole being the type to actively persue a Legacy design for Police Precinct...
"He's a Go-Getter"

YOU:
Well, Let's hear from YOU the fans of Police Precinct...
Would YOU buy it?

(That's a question I'm now asking of any Police Precinct fans who happen to read this thread)

meeplemeeplemeeplemeeplemeeple

PS -- Even Z is up for this!

ZEE GARCIA:
"That Legacy idea sounds good."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would probably buy it!

Also, I think a system like what I have read about for First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet would be a good fit here: a base game you can play when you want, but also app driven campaigns that can be restarted/replayed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Stephen!

Good thinking!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Roderick
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Karl,

You know, I'd be all over this one! cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will not buy it as I'm not a fan of the legacy concept since I'm a cheapskate and don't like the idea of disposable board games (unless of course someone else is footing the bill, in which case I'll be happy to play ), but I'll be very happy for such a thing to exist. Good luck with your development efforts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Doug!

That does it...

I'm gonna make sure your character is in the legacy version of the game!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MentatYP wrote:
I'll be very happy for such a thing to exist. Good luck with your development efforts!

Thanks!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Roderick
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Common Man Games wrote:
Hey Doug!

That does it...

I'm gonna make sure your character is in the legacy version of the game!!!

I'm humbled.

Thanks!!!

BTW - I was playing a week ago with co-workers after work. We played with the dirty cop and I was, of course, playing with my character and happened to be the dirty cop. My friend that was playing Daryl Smith kept eyeballing me but I pulled out a win, mainly because they had some very unlucky draws.

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
mbmbmbmbmb
Got police precinct, played it, loved it, but traded it away again after a couple of games. If there is going to be a pawn broker in the legacy version from whom I can buy back my old game, I will certainly buy the Legacy version as well....

Honestly, despite no longer owning police precinct, I would ABSOLUTELY buy/back a legacy version - fantastic idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrodd wrote:
but I pulled out a win,

cool

Congrats!

Nice job!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixo wrote:
I would ABSOLUTELY buy/back a legacy version - fantastic idea!

Cool!

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Archer
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My family likes Police Precinct. At times, it has been our favorite game.
My family has seen how Legacy can make a good game better.
I would definitely buy it and be the hero of the house!

2 caveats:
It must be kept affordable. Would I pay $40 for a great Police Precinct Legacy game? Yes, but probably not much more than that.
It must be great. If we buy PPL (that's what we'll call it) and it stinks, the original will probably suffer because of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Carter
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would buy it in a heartbeat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jwerk wrote:

It must be kept affordable. Would I pay $40 for a great Police Precinct Legacy game? Yes, but probably not much more than that.

Sounds great to me, but if the basegame and the Legacy aspect at built into one unit it would be more than this because the base game is already $59.99 MSRP.

jwerk wrote:

It must be great. If we buy PPL (that's what we'll call it) and it stinks, the original will probably suffer because of it.

Agreed!

It would be a large undertaking to try to pull this off, so I'm sure we would want it to be absolutely great.

Quality is very important to us in anything we release.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this devourer's page.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would buy it and play it. I would love to see character/city development over the course of multiple plays.

I agree that it has to be great.

Being replayable would be preferred, but not 100% necessary.

I'll hit you up privately with some ideas I have, and you can do whatever you want with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IdleHacker wrote:
I would buy it in a heartbeat

Cool!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Archer
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Common Man Games wrote:
jwerk wrote:

Sounds great to me, but if the basegame and the Legacy aspect at built into one unit it would be more than this because the base game is already $59.99 MSRP.

You're right, I can get behind spending a little more for a great Legacy game. I would actually prefer to have high quality components. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GalaGalaxia wrote:
I would buy it and play it. I would love to see character/city development over the course of multiple plays.

I agree that it has to be great.

Being replayable would be preferred, but not 100% necessary.

I'll hit you up privately with some ideas I have, and you can do whatever you want with it.

Cool!

I will also start a thread for folks to deposit ideas for the Legacy concept for Police Precinct.

You can put your ideas there or hit me up privately (either is great).

UPDATE:

Got it done! Anyone with creative ideas to toss our way, please deposit them here...

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1742799/please-deposit-your...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jwerk wrote:
Common Man Games wrote:
jwerk wrote:

You're right, I can get behind spending a little more for a great Legacy game. I would actually prefer to have high quality components. thumbsup

I've heard the following argument, which is interesting...

If you and 4 others go in to buy a $100 legacy game, then it is $20 each, and if you play it for say 20 hours total, then it cost you $1 per hour.

You would likely spend plenty more on snacks during those 20 hours.

btw -- I'm not saying it would cost $100 (at this point I have no idea what it would cost, I mostly picked that number because it is nice and round)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
Count me out. I love the idea of legacy coop games. I play Pandemic, Flashpoint, etc. pretty regularly but my gg isn't into them. I do enjoy playing them but I have to play them solo. Pandemic Legacy fell flat for me and I've noticed that it is rated very low by bggers as a solo experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adam wilson wrote:
Count me out. I love the idea of legacy coop games. I play Pandemic, Flashpoint, etc. pretty regularly but my gg isn't into them. I do enjoy playing them but I have to play them solo. Pandemic Legacy fell flat for me and I've noticed that it is rated very low by bggers as a solo experience.

I hope to change that with this.

That's one of my big things I want to see this include is extreme flexibility in the number of players used for each session.

Maybe I'll win you over yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legacy = thumbsdown

Sorry, don't like the concept of legacy games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aging One wrote:
Legacy = thumbsdown

Hey David!

Really?

dang, that's harsh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
Common Man Games wrote:
adam wilson wrote:

I hope to change that with this.

That's one of my big things I want to see this include is extreme flexibility in the number of players used for each session.

Maybe I'll win you over yet.

My biggest beef with PL was the record keeping and character stat juggling. A group of 3-4 can handle that much better than one person. It felt like work after game 3 or 4. I loved opening the box's and all that but my brain couldn't handle the "rules snowball effect" by itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Slade
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy it? Yes. Convince others to buy it? Yes.

Let me know if you want some "outside" playtesters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.